English National Ballet Auditions

Tulip

Thanks for that info Kiwimum and all the best of luck for everyone auditioning. My friends daughter said that there was an American girl auditioning in her group and that she was amazing with legs and feet to die for. It just brings it home to you about how many children or rather young adults are auditioning for these very few spaces for 6th form.

• Like 1

Hi Tulip...yes she was No2 and my dd was distraught to be right next to her!! She said she looked good enough to be in a company now!!

I asked about places...about 25 per year for the three years of 6th form and very few Brits...

Goodness, I've only recently realised that this forum is back up and running, at least for now. Good to be back.

To Tulip's post on the American dancer... I think the fact that young people from abroad auditioning for British ballet schools will become more and more common, and it has to be a wake-up call. There are many, many young people engaged in intensive ballet studies around the world, doing far more and perhaps better than is normal here; I wouldn't like to judge, myself. By chance, at the weekend, I met in a social situation a European ballet dancer working in a British ballet company, who said that, in the main, British ballet training simply wasn't up to it and she was distinctly unimpressed by the RAD, its exam system and its hold over local ballet schools, which she regarded purely as a money-making enterprise. This, of course, is simply one person's opinion who had studied ballet in a different country with different methodology. However, DD's friend last year, for example, did an auditioned-for summer school abroad and returned in awe of a whole contingent of absolutely brilliant dancers of her age from Japan.

• Like 4

This is a very true observation. In my dd's year at NBS there were only 2 English girls on classical focus.

However, the overseas students (or should I say those from outside the EU) do help to maintain the viability of the schools, as I believe that these students generally have to pay full fees.

We're at cross purposes. I was referring to my dd's experience of Northern Ballet School. I realise I may have caused confusion referring to it as NBS when the thread is about ENBS (English National Ballet School). Sorry for the confusion and any minor panic it may have caused!

At Northern Ballet School only about one third of the intake do classical focus, the rest are on jazz focus.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...