ballet exam

dancing10

my daughters friend has an injury and is doing her rad exam on monday. She has told my daughter that the teacher is giving the examiner a note about her injury and she will automatically get ten points because of it ......does anyone know if that is true?

You can apply for a special consideration mark but I don't think it's as simple as giving a note to the examiner! My Internet is down so I can't look to find out but I imagine you have to apply to HQ and provide evidence etc.

Yes, I think you probably need a doctor's note or something more concrete than a note from the teacher.

I found out about special consideration after my dd's Inter Foundation which she did when really quite ill. To be honest I decided it was just bloomin' bad luck and she got a Merit when her teacher said she was on course for a distinction. I didn't tell the RAD. These things happen - often with the most unfortunate timing! :-)

• Like 1

The examiner was taken ill during a dance exam at my dds school. Not during dds exam though. The exam had to be stopped whils she took a break then rstarted. It was obviuosly unsettling for those involved.The children got special consideration marks but certainly not as many as 10. Almost worth asking for them every time, eh? Lol

Thanks. It says a maximum special consideration of 5% can be given but it also says that it cannot be applied in the event of injury and candidates are strongly advised to withdraw from the exam in that instance.

Hmmm, that's interesting. As my dd started to get ill a couple of days before her I.F. I doubt she'd have been eligible for special consideration, because that read to me as if you are only eligible under illness if you come down with it on the actual day, or once the exam had started. Hey ho!

My little DD has a very serious heart condition which means that although she can dance, she has less stamina than others.

Apparently, we can inform the examiner beforehand so that she understands, although no extra consideration marks will be given.

My daughter's previous teacher unfortunately forgot to tell DD's Grade 1 examiner. During the latter part of the exam she felt tired and knelt down whilst another girl was doing her character dance. The examiner became 'really cross' according to DD and told her off robustly. When we got her marks broken down, she received significantly less for her dance than everything else. It may have been because she'd been upset by the telling-off or it may be that points were deducted. Either way, I wish the examiner had been told! It really did spoil her enjoyment of the exam.

Again it shouldn't be that the examiner is told on the day. There is a 'reasonable adjustment' form that the teacher should complete and send in with the exam entries. No extra marks can be awarded as you said but changes can be made as required, such as allowing your dd to sit down as required.

Slightly off topic, but I am stalking the postman today for exam results for all my pupils. I had two full days of exams at the weekend, and we generally get the results within a week, tho the certificates and score break down takes about 8 weeks to arrive.

About 100 pupils took exams, and a couple had been off ill the week before, and one recovering from an injury. in our Society (ARBTA), they like to be informed of pupils with dyspraxia, dyslexia,ADHD etc with a Doctors note. It is then taken into consideration, but I am not sure to what extent . I prefer to withdraw ill/ injured pupils, provide a Doctors note, and the exam fee rolls over to the next session.

Come on postie - even though it's only a short wait, it seems interminable, and there are so many of them, and they've all been so focused.

• Like 3

And another slight change of subject - but still exams - I got 90 in my tap exam :D

(Don't get too excited - it was only ISTD adult level 2, but it's the first dance exam I've ever taken and I got the highest marks in the class, so I'm chuffed!!)

• Like 18

Thanks all - I'm now doing 2 classes - one level 3 and one level 6. This might seem odd, but because I picked up the lower level stuff quite easily we thought I might manage to learn the level 6 as they were starting it new after their exam too. And I'm actually coping quite well so far. I'm not quite as quick to pick up new exercises, but I soon get it after a few goes :)

Seagazer - hope your results come soon

• Like 2