RBS Junior Associate skirts

sooziedoo

My dd is starting JAs in September and I will need to have a JA national skirt made, as I am hopeless at sewing, can't even sew ribbons on ballet shoes let alone make a skirt from scratch! I was wondering if anyone knows of an online shop that makes the JA national skirts? Have googled it but can't find anything. How much have other Mums paid to have them made? I know it would vary a lot depending on where you live, but just to have a rough idea would be very helpful.

I really must learn to sew, but don't think I'll manage it before September! Any help/advice appreciated.

• Like 1

Dear Shashee

Can't help I'm afraid but your post did make me smile! This was me 2 years ago when my dd started JAs. I persuaded my sister to come and help,we seemed to have a river of blue material the full length of the lounge and neither of us could make head nor tail of the instructions. But we managed it ....(finally!) although it took HOURS to hand sew the hem. We did a passable job and I too am completely hopeless at sewing! Why not give it a try - this could be the time to bite the bullet and pick up that dreaded needle! And just think how proud you'll be when she puts it on for that first class knowing all the love, sweat and tears that went into making it! (Of course, I too tried to find someone else to make mine first - hehe!!)

Good luck!

Hi Shashee, we too were in the same situation last year!! Our dance teacher knew of a woman who makes national skirts for her so pupils can buy them. Maybe approach your dance teacher who maybe able to suggest someone. I remember starting my DD skirt, then a relative kindly took over and finished it off for us.......thankfully!! Good luck!!

Ax

Hello again and thanks for replies. I'm in Hampshire, but close to West Sussex and Surrey borders.

It would be wonderful to try and make it, but have a toddler and an older son too so have limited time and energy too (as well as being really hopeless at sewing!) Maybe the next skirt I'll have a go ... (though am hoping to ask for a big hem so she won't outgrow it too quickly!)

These skirts are a nightmare for parents like me who couldnt sew. They have to be an exact lentht etc. You cant buy them and RBS dont supply them. It would be a good idea if parents maybe passed or sold them on to other parents when their children have finished with them. There must be tones of them about.

Like Shashee I couldn't sew ....I laughrd when it said make waist band as normal. Normal? I'd never made a skirt in my life. I was really proud of the finished article even though my gathers could have been more even! :)

• Like 1

These skirts are a nightmare for parents like me who couldnt sew. They have to be an exact lentht etc. You cant buy them and RBS dont supply them. It would be a good idea if parents maybe passed or sold them on to other parents when their children have finished with them. There must be tones of them about.

I also know someone who could make one for you (did my daughter's many moons ago and makes all our costumes) - get in touch if you'd like details. She lives on the Surrey/Hants/Berks border - near enough!

• Like 1

Hi All

If anyone would like to buy my daughter's skirt here are the details .....also the zip up top and leotard were only worn for the last year and would be ideal for spares........PM me for details

The skirt has to skim the floor when your daughter kneels up.....our JA teacher lined them all up every year to check them ....

Skirt measurements are as follows:

length inc waistband: 19inches with a 4inch hem

waist approx 21 iches with room to make a little bigger

I know there is the selling thread but I thought more JA mums might look here

Good Luck ladies! I am lucky my Mum is pretty nifty with the old Singer sewing machine.

• Like 2

These skirts must have been flummoxing non-sewing parents for years! :-)

It's a shame that RBS don't just commission an "approved" supplier to make them, like the RAD do with their character and long chiffon skirts.

Just as well dd was never a JA; I dread to think what I'd have produced!

• Like 1

These skirts must have been flummoxing non-sewing parents for years! :-)

It's a shame that RBS don't just commission an "approved" supplier to make them, like the RAD do with their character and long chiffon skirts.

Just as well dd was never a JA; I dread to think what I'd have produced!

Quite! My DD was never a JA but I remember her friend's mum being flummoxed by the skirt. Fortunately she had a grandma who could sew or she would have had to find a dressmaker. I wonder why this system persists? It does seem a bit strange. I imagine quite a lot of people end up paying someone to make their skirts anyway, so why don't the RBS just sell them?If they had a batch made centrally and sold them at all centres it would probably be economically viable. If it's a matter of getting the length perfect they could just sell them unhemmed. I think most people could manage to turn a hem up but there are not so many who can make a skirt with ease.

• Like 2

I had dd ja skirt made by a local dance shop that also made costumes for shows/festivals cost me about 10 pounds! Bargain well worth paying for someone to make it. Dd ja teacher checked them all to make sure the 3 lengths were there! Quite hard to do as dd waist v.small. agree with others there should be some made up at ja centres for parents to purchase. Just praying dd skirt is still correct fit for year 6!

• Like 1

My DD was a JA for 3 years and the one skirt fitted her full the full time at JAs due to a large hem turn up which was adjusted at the start of each new year. It is best to have the skirt the correct length skimming the floor when kneeling up.I was lucky that our local dance school had a costume maker who made my DDs skirt as sewing is not my strong point ( see prior thread on 5 attempts to sew on pointe shoe ribbons!)...though I can now darn quite adequately - practice makes perfect as with the other alien ballet practices for the novice mum such as buns, crossed plaits and make-up.

• Like 2

JA teacher who taught my two daughters asks children to put skirts on at start of first lesson so she can check the length. They kneel up with them on and they just have to touch the floor. She asks parents to adjust them if they are too long or short! Having spent hours hand sewing round a never-ending hem I told my oldest she had better move it up or down on her waist to make it the correct length as I wasn't redoing it!!!!!

• Like 4

Reading this is so funny!! Loving the image of them lining up on their knees. I, thank goodness, can sew and have done a whole troupe of Annie dresses for a competition. I am concerned though as I have a very tiny 10 yr old (in size 7-8 clothes) who I am sure when I make this skirt in the summer will have a growth spurt. It does say you make a 6 cm seam allowance so it can be turned down but it's not a quick job! Anyone near Sheffield wants to get together to make them I can help! Zoe