Ballet after partial knee replacement

follycat

Just wondering if anybody out there has had a knee replacement and still managed to do ballet after? 50, dance teacher and recovering myself from partial replacement, so could do with some realism/encouragement! Grand plies and developpes seem a distant memory.

Have you asked your physiotherapists about which movements might be possible?

I've got a couple of friends who have had knee replacements but neither of them are dancers.  I know from what they have said that some types of movement, e.g. the leg action in breast stroke, are not advised.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Having physio several times a week and have explained about the ballet and what I want to be able to do when recovered. I know it is never going to be as good as before but just wondering whether others been through it and have suggestions/encouragement. Just a little despondent this week!

I apologise first for my memory being so bad today but wasn't there a dancer whose user name had the word Mouse in it somewhere .......couldn't find it this morning among user names though .....who just very recently was in the news for being the oldest dancer to pass her grade 6 RAD Exam? She was in her 70's I believe and I'm pretty sure had had some knee replacement operation about three years ago.

Can anyone remember?

Aha think you are right ......Dormouse!!

That's the lady she might be able to help follycat!!

There will be certain steps which will be a no no like ronde de Jambe en l'air etc and some big jumps might not be so good but obviously physio will be able to tell you more accurately.

Mind you after 50 BIG jumps are usually in the imagination only!!

• Like 2

Well the emphasis was on the word BIG!!! You know....at the very least 12-18 inches off the floor in jumps in first say!!

I think a little bit of everything goes in reality but if you have done a lot of dancing you still can retain the flow of a petit or grand allegro AND still keep some style in it.

I try these days to really concentrate on upper body and hope the legs sort of follow!!

• Like 1