British Ballet Organization

BalletBloch

My dd did this last summer and I can really recommend it. Mary Goodhew took a lot of the classes and was very friendly and approachable. They also had classes with some extremely good guest teachers (Francesca Filpi, James Barton from BRB, Sophia Hurdley from Matthew Bourne are three that spring to mind.)

If you were in the Senior group you could do the junior classes too, if space allowed. It was very good value for money and you could pay by the day. Most of the other students were at Vocational Schools, so classes were at a very good standard.

• Like 2

My DD is very interested but I wonder when information will be given out? Is it usually quite last minute? Will have to keep our eyes open!

We left it too late to apply for summer school this year so this course sounds perfect!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Good afternoon,

The British Ballet Organization Summer School is being held 19th – 23rd August 2013 at the BBO Headquarters, London. Junior and Senior courses are being held in either Jazz or Ballet for dance students aged 9 - 18 years with weekly and daily rates available.

The BBO Summer School is directed by Mary Goodhew (former Ballet Principal at Royal Ballet School, White Lodge and Artistic Director of Elmhurst School for Dance in association with Birmingham Royal Ballet) and taught by a distinguished faculty of professional dancers. Students will participate in exciting and varying classes ranging from sessions that focus on technical elements to improve strength, flexibility and co-ordination to learning about life in the theatre and within professional companies. Both Ballet and Jazz courses will get the opportunity to learn repertoire.

For more information and to download an application form please visit http://bbo.org.uk/upcoming-events.php or email mary.goodhew@bbo.org.uk

• Like 3

Hi lemongirl, I was BBO ballet scholar and I also did their teaching programme, Gillian Hurst was our teacher and I really benefitted from her class. My brother was also a ballet scholar and the format had changed by the time he was a scholar( there's a 5 year age gap) he really enjoyed it as be also got to experience a little national dance and pas de deux.

Since he was a scholar it's changed again and now my pupils are split into male and female classes. The boys go to headquarters with Simon Horrill which they love as he's very into inspiring the boys. The boys are not split by age and are all together which pushes the boys and also means the younger ones have someone to look up to.

The girls are split into junior and senior. My junior girls have classes in Manchester with Gillian Hurst and I believe another lady called Lindsay Kidd (I may be wrong!) she works them very hard. The senior girls have Brenda Last who despite scaring most really does know how to pull the absolute best out of them.

There is als the jazz strand which I can't say as I know that much about! Sorry! I can ask about though if you need more info

David Needham is brilliant he taught me at what was concourse I think or it may have been dance days?

The dance days are also worth looking into as they are residential and brilliant fun. The BBO are also very keen for teachers to continue their development so they do allow teachers to observe classes etc which really helps strengthen the link between associate classes and their ordinary classes.

Pictures is your DD looking forward to Mr Needham teaching her at the Hammond? He's just set one of our ex pupils the impossible task of creating an all orange outfit right down to her tap shoes, he's been very specific on shade etc!

Yes orange tap shoes (I think they are doing 42nd street)! Cue panic from the girl and her mum!

I may be wrong but I'm sure he does. One of our ex pupils had him when she was a jazz scholar and I'm sure when she moved to Hammond he commented that he remembered her from jazz scholars. I'm assuming this happened in class.

He did his level 5 teaching when I was doing my teaching quals and I very clearly remember all of us terrified newbies squeezing into the kitchen at headquarters only to find mr Needham dancing and singing to an Emma Bunton track!

• Like 1