Socks going grey

r3dh3d

Is there any way to stop this?  Or fix it?  DD's school insist on socks, and after the first few washes they go grey and disreputable.  

They seem to be made of nylon, and I dimly remember in the days when everyone had nylon net curtains, my mother used to soak them in something or other.  But whatever it is might turn her pink socks white, which wouldn't help!

We don't have a lot of red and purple, no - that may be our fatal mistake!  

I think it's a combination of the pink fading out and nylon picking up other colours from the wash really easily - they're always in the "lights" wash, but still there seems to be some transfer.  I'm trying soaking them in Vanish now, to see if that helps.  

One if my tinies had the most perfectly pink socks tonight, I asked her mum for the secret to keeping the socks from fading and she looked at me like I had gone totally off my rocker, apparently she "just washes them".

They were first position ones

• Like 1

I'm afraid the best option may be to embrace disreputability.

I know of no way to keep our boys' white socks (or t-shirts) white.

Oh I'm so relieved it's not just me... that sinking feeling when you smugly pull the leotard out of the bag for a swift change, only to find it looks like DS has mystically played rugby, or made tomato soup in it since last time...

• Like 2

Oh I'm so relieved it's not just me... that sinking feeling when you smugly pull the leotard out of the bag for a swift change, only to find it looks like DS has mystically played rugby, or made tomato soup in it since last time...

Or you put on a brand new one, straight out its bag, and they immediately decide to clean the corridor by rolling around in it. Can't win.

• Like 1

I'm afraid the best option may be to embrace disreputability. 

I know of no way to keep our boys' white socks (or t-shirts) white.

A dash of Milton is good for soaking them. But don't put too much in or you will remove the sock from the dirt!

I presume we're talking about girls' pink ballet socks rather than the boys' white ones (we used long cotton white ones rather than the nylon ones for the boys).... My daughter's pink ones went in a white wash with liquid for whites. They maybe went a touch paler over time but no sign of greying socks for us!