Prix de Lausanne 2017!

invisiblecircus

Some very valid points made in your post, However, the LAW  in the UK would prevent any pupil from even considering leaving school before they are 16 (with or without GCSE's), even if a contract of employment was on offer. There would be no choice to be made.  ;)

as long as suitable educational provision was in place ...  also with the raising of the 'school leaving age'  i think we are going to actually see some more innovative solutuons coming through as 17 and 18 year  olds will have to be in suitable   education , training or 'employment with training ' ... 

• Like 1

Does anyone understand the timing of the livestreaming!!

It says

Jan 30th 3-4.30 pm +GMT +1

So does it mean the 3-4.30 is in UK time ( GMT) and so the Lausanne livestreaming starts is actually from 4.-5.30

OR

Does it mean the 3-4.30 is in Lausanne time so is (or rather was now) took place from 2-3.30 in UK!!

Sorry about this dense ness on my part!!

Yesterday I did see a couple of videos that were on their Facebook page but today the videos there won't play at all!!

Also is there anywhere where you can place the number of the candidate next to a name so you know who is dancing or is this not allowed?

• Like 1

Can't help with the timings but if you go onto the website you can find a list of the candidates, their numbers, nationality and current school.

http://www.prixdelausanne.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Selected-candidates-list_2017.pdf

Not sure if that link works but you can find it here-

Home > Competition > 2017 Information and tickets> Selected candidates > List of selected candidates 2017

• Like 1

A strange and probably insignificant thing I've wondered for the last few years is why do some candidates break the dress code? You reach a high enough standard to enter and then beat the odds to be selected, they specify that male candidates should wear black tights and white leotards, females in pink tights and sleeveless leos, but yesterday and today there were guys in black and coloured shirts and I remember previously seeing girls in sleeved leos. I wonder if the organisers say anything about it and also why the candidates "risk" it!

Maybe I only think about it because I'm the type who would fear getting kicked out if wearing the wrong thing! :lol:

Random musings aside, here's today's livestream for those who missed it:

http://concert.arte.tv/fr/prix-de-lausanne-livestream-du-30-janvier-2017

• Like 3

Invisiblecircus:  When my dd participated, she commented on the same thing.  She didn't understand why girls were wearing leo that were specifically against the dress code.  They didn't ever say anything but i can't attest to whether that docked them on points or not.  I think it's just a matter of some dancers not reading the "fine print."

• Like 3

To be fair, the commentator did point out that for some of the dancers it would be the first time they had encountered contemporary technique.  So I imagine they were trying to get some good groundwork in during the first part of the week.  I loved watching Didi Veldman teaching, she broke the movements down so well that everyone could do them and looked natural doing so.

• Like 1

A strange and probably insignificant thing I've wondered for the last few years is why do some candidates break the dress code? You reach a high enough standard to enter and then beat the odds to be selected, they specify that male candidates should wear black tights and white leotards, females in pink tights and sleeveless leos, but yesterday and today there were guys in black and coloured shirts and I remember previously seeing girls in sleeved leos. I wonder if the organisers say anything about it and also why the candidates "risk" it!

Maybe I only think about it because I'm the type who would fear getting kicked out if wearing the wrong thing! :lol:

Random musings aside, here's today's livestream for those who missed it:

http://concert.arte.tv/fr/prix-de-lausanne-livestream-du-30-janvier-2017

Invisiblecircus:  When my dd participated, she commented on the same thing.  She didn't understand why girls were wearing leo that were specifically against the dress code.  They didn't ever say anything but i can't attest to whether that docked them on points or not.  I think it's just a matter of some dancers not reading the "fine print."

Just an update on this as I have only been able to watch part of the selections so far, after the initial information was published, an updated document was released to the candidates with the following announcement:

IMPORTANT UPDATE TO THE COMPETITION PROCEDURE DOCUMENT

This year, male candidates can wear colored t-shirts during the competition, as long as they

are close-fitting. However, they must wear black tights, white socks and white shoes.

I guess that solves part of the mystery for this year at least, although I have seen black socks and shoes as well as flesh shoes without socks (for classical) from the men ;-)

I haven't finished watching the selections but Joshua Jack Price impressed me the most so far.

Looking forward to watching the final on playback later!

Edited to add: Anyone else find the commentary a bit annoying? It's mostly "good girl!" and "He did very well!"

Edited by invisiblecircus

What a lovely final! All my favourites were prize winners, the first prize winner I thought was totally mesmerising I stopped watching him technically and was just taken along with his performance. Also loved the Romanian girl, the polish boy and the 15 year old Japanese lad. Also agree that the commentary throughout the week was dreadful!

• Like 2

Such a treat watching the final today with such gorgeous dancers.  Who says that classical ballet has no future!  Will have to try to catch up with some of the recordings of the days during the whole week - unfortunately could only dip in for a few minutes each day!

The winner's interpretation of the contemporary solo "Nijinsky" was just astounding.  To be honest I wasn't that keen on some of the contemporary solos, they seemed a bit similar.  I know it was in honour of John Neumeier's LIfetime Achievement Award, but I would have preferred several different choreographers work to be represented as in previous years.  

• Like 1

I was watching throughout the week and found it rather addictive, to an extent that it prevented me from doing a range of other activities that I had planned for this week!

I was in complete awe at Michele Esposito in Nijinsky, it was so intense.

I also really enjoyed Koyo Yamamoto in Yondering, Stanislaw Wegrzyn in both variations, Diana Georgia Ionescu in Nocturnes, and Riku Ota in La Bayadère.

• Like 1

Haven't watched the finals yet but have noted the names Diana Georgia Ionescu ( no.120 I believe ) Every time someone impressed me in particular........only seen in class and practices so far though (but they are all pretty good) these numbers so far noted ....but need to check for names no 210 ,410 , 408, 107 119 and 120 and 302 and 306 403 and I think 113!!

Of course when they put costumes on and perform for real in front of an audience things can change as some who stand out in class don't shine so well on stage and vice versa so have to catch up over the weekend with the performances.

Does anyone know where to find the Selections streamings from this year's competition.

I cught up with Day 4 yesterday but cannot find anything beyond that!!

Friday must have been the selections day and then the finals today.....which I don't expect to be on site till tomorrow but I did expect the selections to be there by the end of today. Very frustrating!!

Just to say Thankyou to Duck for that link and have now finally caught up with it all!!

I get very frustrated with the Prix website and was very disappointed that the selections ( before the finals) were not on YouTube the next day and even when went to "media" on the website it still only showed the first four days and not the selections or finals!!

Anyway some pretty good dancers coming along!! And I think the right ones got into the finals.

I was particularly impressed with the Romanian girl and one of the Chinese girls( who didn't win a scholarship) but who danced the same piece and of course the Brazilian girl Marina who won the audience prize as well. But I also liked the tiny Korean girl as she had such an expressive face and delightful dance ....she looked like she was enjoying it but unfortunately did not win a scholarship though I'm sure she will get work though looks too young to have even finished training yet!

The Polish boy also had a lovely stage manner and made me want to watch him in both his solos but the winner from Italy was fantastic in the contemporary .......such a difficult piece......I believed no one else even attempted it so a well deserved winner overall.

But as usual so much talent around. It will be interesting to see where some of the scholarships are used ....Id love to see some of these with the Royal or ENB!!

• Like 2

I wonder whether Tamara Rojo attended / stayed for the whole of the Prix this year as she had the Critics Circle Dance Awards yesterday. Academie Princesse Grace seems to be producing some very good dancers. Marina is there as was the talented Rina Kanehara who is getting so many opportunities at ENB, plus a couple of their (female) graduated have gone to Northern Ballet recently.

• Like 3

Actually this candidate wasn't the Princess Grace Academy it was the Ecole superior de Danse et de Musique Paris..... 302 Louise Coquillarde .....but don't think she made the finals in the end.

It's quite difficult with this competition as there are some candidates of just about 16 and others nearer 19 and those three years are very important in Dance development I think.....especially in the male dancers .....you can see that extra maturity in the older dancers.

I rather liked a couple of dancers like Jessi Seymour from Australia ......who did make the finals at least ....and Ana Torrequebrada (119) from Spain but are still rather young really.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm just going to add this wasn't the Polish boy!!

This was Sunu Lim from South Korea....who forfeited his prize.

Would be interesting to see where he IS going.

Edited by LinMM