Festival makeup for 10 year old

r3dh3d

DD2 is 10, and doing her first festival in a couple of weeks, with a new school.  She's had makeup done for shows etc in the past, but the old school always provided the makeup themselves to get some consistency.  With this school you bring your own and I was wondering if anyone had any brand recommendations, or things to look for when shopping?  I'm not sure how bombproof it needs to be.  She's a dirty blonde, very pale skin, blue eyes, so we'll have to avoid making her look too tangoed.  

I've been told she needs:
- foundation
- brown eyeshadow
- black pen eyeliner
- pink blusher
- red lipstick

What does everyone else use?

• Like 1

DD (11) uses a max factor panstick and sadly ... they do need to look a little 'tangoed' because of the lighting!

DD has eyeshadow pencils by BarryM and whatever cheap blusher, mascara and red lipstick we find when buying new!

My friend recommends Avon eyeliner pens, and DD having used one this last week, thought it was very easy to use.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Pixiewoo

My DD has quite sensitive skin and when she was little we had several disasters with her reacting badly to make up. Much to my surprise, Avon stuff caused far less problems than several much more expensive brands so I would recommend it. And yes, as already mentioned, you do need to put on more than you think as the stage lights drain colour. It looks grim close up, but fine on stage!

I can just see myself starting to apply foundation to DD's glowing white skin... and not knowing where to stop to avoid a line (probably somewhere below the knees...)  

I think the main challenge is going to be eyebrows.  She has very fair eyebrows, almost invisible.  (Apparently some of her classmates refused to believe she *had* eyebrows till Y2).  It is going to look strange if she has the school-specified black winged eyeliner and black mascara and no eyebrows to speak of, so I'm going to have to do *something* with them, but if I do too much it's going to look unnatural on a 10 year old.  If she was older, I'd take her to get them dyed - just a quiet light brown.  

What is lighting like at festivals?  Reading those links (thanks Janet!) it looks as if an orange red lipstick is better under blue stage lights - but if there isn't  that sort of light an orange red will look grim on her.  

• Like 1

I can just see myself starting to apply foundation to DD's glowing white skin... and not knowing where to stop to avoid a line (probably somewhere below the knees...)  

I think the main challenge is going to be eyebrows.  She has very fair eyebrows, almost invisible.  (Apparently some of her classmates refused to believe she *had* eyebrows till Y2).  It is going to look strange if she has the school-specified black winged eyeliner and black mascara and no eyebrows to speak of, so I'm going to have to do *something* with them, but if I do too much it's going to look unnatural on a 10 year old.  If she was older, I'd take her to get them dyed - just a quiet light brown.  

What is lighting like at festivals?  Reading those links (thanks Janet!) it looks as if an orange red lipstick is better under blue stage lights - but if there isn't  that sort of light an orange red will look grim on her.  

May I suggest, pop into a local cosmetic depart store with your DD. The staff on the counters are generally very helpful (and free) for their suggestions and may teach you on the art of eyebrows without the 'scouse brow' as its referred to!  Clinique are always very helpful.

My dd is very fair skinned like yours and I've used Rimmel Stay Matt Foundation in Ivory on her.

This was the only budget priced one I found fair enough, it isn't orangey cheap looking at at all. As she will only wear it 3 to 4 times a year and it has a shelf life, I didnt want to spend a lot of money.

I use rimmel medium Brown eye brow pencil for completely her blonde brows, and apply it very lightly. I don't like the blonde shades, I find them ashy/wishy washy for her colour hair which is auburn. For her completely transparent blonde eyelashes I use the only Brown mascara I could find which wasn't black/Brown from boots collection 2000. Budget priced also.

For blush I use a coral cream one in a tube from collection 2000. And benefit blush lipstain for lip colour.

We have yet to get the eye shadow right as she wants gold now, previously she had to wear blue or a natural cream colour.

She is 12 and likes a very subtle look.

We use kohl brown on the eye. For the winged eyeliner maybe if you use a Brown/black liquid fine eyeliner instead of black?

Although if you have to use true black I think this look can work really well with fair brows anyway, so I wouldn't worry I am sure she'll look fab good luck X

Edited by Snowflake

We didn't use foundation on my daughter until she was much older. So we used a good amount of blusher, brown eye shadow (later black and white), black liquid eyeliner (I did start out with a pencil), mascara, red lipstick, and we soon learnt that a bit of brown pencil on the eyebrows was a good idea as she also had very fair brows. Avoid anything glittery/shiny and you won't go far wrong. Some festival venues don't have very strong lights and, especially at a young age, heavy stage makeup can look OTT

I echo the advice to take her into a store. My DD is very pale and very unlike me in colouring and we went to Boots for advice. They showed her how to apply products using their own no 7 range, including how to make eyebrows appear. They did her whole face and showed her how to build up the effect for the stage

Do you have friends - or at least speaking acquaintances - amongst the mums at the new dance school?

If so, it might be worth finding out what products they use, as IME in a 'bring your own makeup' school some things are genuinely flexible (foundation), some things don't vary by brand but must be the right colour (genuinely black eyeliner) and some things are laid down in informal dance school law without anyone ever writing it down (the specific make and shade of lipstick).

When DD started doing festival groups when she was quite little, a mum of a slightly older child ran a demonstration of the approved hair and makeup styles. We started off getting DD very similar brands to those. The Boot No 7 counter was great - DD doesn't have sensitive skin but I have severe eczema on my hands, so the assistant was extremely helpful in identifying both products that wouldn't aggravate my skin too badly on brief exposure, and application techniques that kept my contact with everything to a minimum when I applied it.

DD has quite a lot of Rimmel stuff now - decent quality but doesn't break the bank.

Fortunately, we're similar colouring (I'm a redhead, but just as pale as she is) so she can borrow some of my makeup, to start with at least.  

Things I'm looking at so far:

Gel foundation - this one gets v good reviews, easy to put on, not claggy

Felt tip liner  I'll probably get a brown one as well as a black one because I'm going to have to practice on myself!

Brow mascara (thanks F&F!)

Good tip going to a counter and getting their advice; I think I'll take her to Boots no 7 because ime this lipstick is brilliant for staying on without being uncomfortable, it's just finding the right shade.    

I'll ask one of the other mums if they have a photo of their DD in "official" makeup, which we can use to practice at home.  They are a really nice bunch, fortunately.

• Like 3

For group dances, our teachers are very firm about no eye-shadow and only red lipstick. For solos it's left up to us. Before DD started doing her own make-up (at 11), I watched YouTube tutorials (search 'stage make-up for children'). I have always used either a 'tawny' eyebrow pencil or brown eye-shadow to define DD's light brows, as nothing looks weirder on stage than well-defined eyes/lips with no sign of any eyebrows! I  think that with all their hair scraped off their face, the brows need to provide a 'frame' for the eyes.

• Like 1