Eastman / Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui: Fractus V, London, October 2016

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the rehearsal of Eastman ( Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui)'s  'Fractus V' at Sadlers Wells October 2016. Here are some photos:

30534847021_e5ef0cf615_z.jpg
Johnny M. Lloyd,  Dimitri Jourde, Patrick Williams Seebacher, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Fabian Thomér
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

29991096394_3889a3c6b7_z.jpg
Johnny M. Lloyd,  Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Patrick Williams Seebacher
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...
Set from DanceTabs:  Eastman – Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui: Fractus V
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

I was there on Thursday, my first visit to Sadler’s Wells, what an exciting experience!

I'm always very curious to see something by Cherkaoui and was thrilled to see him dancing again. My first encounter with his work was when he performed in Berlin, together with Akram Khan in the unforgettable “Zero Degrees” and after that I’ve never seen him on stage again, only on video.

I much admire his ability to explore different movement languages and his skills to create something completely new from them, as well as acquiring them for himself, chameleonlike.

For “Fractus V” he has assembled a group of four eminently stunning dancers with most diverse backgrounds, from Spain, France, the USA and Germany and four phenomenal musicians from Korea, India, Congo and Japan. Sometimes the dancers sang and talked, and the musicians danced, shapes were changing and shifting constantly and the mood went from tender to hysterically funny to disturbingly exaggerated violent.

There were no empty moments, it was like watching a kaleidoscope.

They had us sitting on the edges of our seats the whole time and got a standing ovation as soon as the stagelights went out.

• Like 1