Moving to the 6th form

Jellybeans

Moving on from the thread about ranking, does anyone have any information about the number of students that move directly from lower school to upper school in the same institution? I would be interested to know what sort of numbers of existing pupils that are accepted into the 6th form at each of the four main schools and, out of those, how many choose to go.

• Like 1

At Tring the fifth formers who had MDS funding were told that they could keep their funding, but they were not allowed to audition anywhere else. On the classical side of things i.e dance 6 and dance 8, I think there are seven girls, I don't know about the boys who are staying and there are six maybe seven who are moving on. The ones moving on had all been awarded DADAs at Tring. I don't know what is happening with the boys.

I am not having a go a Tring here, just answering the original question. Two are going to Central, one to Rambert, One to the Bolsoi. Two just going back to their home country and one to ENB. They are the ones I know about.

• Like 1

At Elmhurst 6th form audition we were told that numbers varied considerably each year - some years almost everyone was offered and accepted a place at 6th form down to only 2 or 3 in other years. At Hammond we were given the impression that most (though not all and it was emphasized that some fell down at the interview stage and not because of their dancing) were offered a place for 6th form but I believe quite a few chose to go elsewhere. This seems to be especially true for the musical theatre students who feel the bright lights of London beckoning after 5 years of living in Chester.

At Elmhurst I believe from the girls, 9 of 18 are going to Elmhurst 6th form, 1 each to ENB, Northern, Royal, Switzerland. Of those staying, some had other offers ( incl. ENB ), but have opted for Elmhurst.

The boys, 6 from 12 are staying, 2 are going to RB, 1 to Hamburg, 1 to ENB, 1 on the musical theatre route ( offers from Bird, Laine, ),and 1 is pursuing academic route.

I have no idea how many of them were offered a sixth form place, or how many were offered funding.

• Like 1

How many girls and boys in the year, Jane?

Sorry, good point... There were 12 boys and 13 girls, one girl was only 14 so has completed year 11 again.

This year I am not too sure I'm afraid, although I would imagine a similar amount.

I thought those were good numbers, considering they are up against many students from all over the world.

• Like 2

My daughter is one of the ones who is leaving Tring from year 11. She is going to ENBS. She had the offer of continuing her MDS but the school did allow her to audition elsewhere upon discussion of this with her ballet teacher. She has loved her time at Tring and would take her fabulous teacher with her if she could. She just wants to try something new, move to London and have a chance to gain some independence and grow up a little. Tring has a very protected and family feel to it that is a bit of a bubble. I'm glad though that three of her siblings will be able to enjoy what this special school has to offer. My eldest will finish his sixth form there and who knows what lies in store for the younger ones...but they are having a lovely time along the way.

• Like 6