RBS associates travel bursary

shygirlsmum

Sorry to gate crash your post but can I ask is there a limit to the amount the travel bursary will cover? For example would it cover air fares within the UK or is it limited to road & rail? Im curious because I didn't know this was available

• Like 1

That's good Hairbelles, fingers crossed we get an answer soon.

TooTu, i think you will find info on RB website but from memory the application asked for details of mileage and also quotes for rail travel. I imagine that they will assess cheapest route and pay bursary on that. There is a band system relating household income you might be eligible for 100, 50 or 25% of costs depend of how many miles travelled.

Edited by shygirlsmum
  • Like 2

That's good Hairbelles, fingers crossed we get an answer soon.

TooTu, i think you will find info on RB website but from memory the application asked for details of mileage and also quotes for rail travel. I imagine that they will assess cheapest route and pay bursary on that. There is a band system relating household income you might be eligible for 100, 50 or 25% of costs depend of how many miles travelled.

I had read somewhere that they don't cover airline ticket prices. I remember as we don't live on the mainland and thought darn it!!!  Understandable as flight prices constantly vary, both up and down. Sadly

• Like 1

We also applied but have not heard anything yet - aside also from an e-mail a few weeks ago asking a supplementary question.

This is the travel bursary info we got: 

You are receiving this email as you have selected that you would like to apply for a travel bursary.

This year, with the generous support of the Leverhulme Foundation and the Hine Fund, we are able to offer all Associate students travel bursaries that travel 75+ miles to their Associate classes.

Miles from Associate Centre

Receive 50% or more Financial Assistance

Receive less than 50% Financial Assistance

Don’t receive Financial Assistance with Associate fees

0-74 miles

0%

0%

0%

75-150 miles

50%

25%

25%

151+ miles

100%

50%

50%

The bursary award will be the equivalent of an advanced return train journey for one child and one adult (where accompanied) with the use of a family railcard regardless of how you currently travel to classes. There are two ways to apply for a Travel Bursary:

1. Apply using our online application form. On the application form you must give evidence of how much your travel would be. In order to do this via the online application form you will need to upload an image or document as evidence. This can include a scan of your tickets, a print screen of you journey plan or a copy of a confirmation email.
  2. Apply by posting the application form along with supporting evidence. Applications should be posted with accompanying documents to Carla Smith, Finance, The Royal Ballet School, 46 Floral Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2E 9DA.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the finance dept are very poor at communicating in my experience. So far I have had to resubmit the application form. They haven't replied to emails and tried for 2 weeks to get hold of them by phone and left voicemails to return my calls. Eventually I got through to finance and there was a question I hadn't answered - which was because it didn't apply as my daughter wasn't over 14 yrs old. They just hadnt bothered getting back to me to confirm details. Luckily i had finally got hold of them, as i dont think they would have got nack to me. I was told they were making decisions end of last week. So we should be hearing this week hopefully.

Edited by TBG
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had an email to say I have been awarded bursary and it would be paid into my bank but no information about how much or if it would be back dated. I haven't been on my banking to check if it was actually paid. I will check and get back to you.

I have had an email to say I have been awarded bursary and it would be paid into my bank but no information about how much or if it would be back dated. I haven't been on my banking to check if it was actually paid. I will check and get back to you.

• 4 months later...
On 24/10/2016 at 10:54, BoyOhBoy said:

We also applied but have not heard anything yet - aside also from an e-mail a few weeks ago asking a supplementary question.

This is the travel bursary info we got: 

You are receiving this email as you have selected that you would like to apply for a travel bursary.

This year, with the generous support of the Leverhulme Foundation and the Hine Fund, we are able to offer all Associate students travel bursaries that travel 75+ miles to their Associate classes.

Miles from Associate Centre

Receive 50% or more Financial Assistance

Receive less than 50% Financial Assistance

Don’t receive Financial Assistance with Associate fees

0-74 miles

0%

0%

0%

75-150 miles

50%

25%

25%

151+ miles

100%

50%

50%

The bursary award will be the equivalent of an advanced return train journey for one child and one adult (where accompanied) with the use of a family railcard regardless of how you currently travel to classes. There are two ways to apply for a Travel Bursary:

1. Apply using our online application form. On the application form you must give evidence of how much your travel would be. In order to do this via the online application form you will need to upload an image or document as evidence. This can include a scan of your tickets, a print screen of you journey plan or a copy of a confirmation email.
  2. Apply by posting the application form along with supporting evidence. Applications should be posted with accompanying documents to Carla Smith, Finance, The Royal Ballet School, 46 Floral Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2E 9DA.

So, does this mean that everyone can apply for the bursary, regardless of income? Is the amount awarded only dependent on distance travelled and whether you do or don't receive assistance with Associate fees? 

I'm going round in circles at the moment trying to work out how best to get dd from a to b and then back again..! 

I think it's wonderful that they have so much support available now (and I'm only butting in as my children are now in their 20s - but were JAs) but we would have got a thing as we're about 46 miles away from Covent Garden and it would cost us (now) about £34 every week on rail fares - which is exactly why we stuck to fortnightly classes - a lot of money on top of the class fees and other dance classes! 

Well if it really is the case that the travel bursary is available to everyone if they are travelling far enough I'll apply. 

Does anyone know? I don't want to bother RBS unnecessarily...

Edited by Piccolo
Sentence not making sense!