Method in Madness, Greenwich Theatre, 18-19 October

Side Note:  I wish there was a separate posting strand on BalletcoForum that was for 'Non-Ballet Items' - even those as produced by major Ballet Companies either resident or visiting - simply to add to our Site's overall clarity.  So much now falls under the contemporary dictate - especially with London now being recognised as a world contemporary dance fulcrum.  Moreover I think that those items which ARE specifically IN the balletic idiom need special protection, cherishing and promotion.  Alternatively the website might - purely for clarity's sake - be otherwise titled 'DancecoForum' representing a greater overall (i.e., less specific) inclusion.  What do others members think?  

Specific Item:  I have seen a show which is certainly NOT ballet but which - like Sir Matthew Bourne's work - involves theatrically induced choreography. It is called METHOD IN MADNESS.  I thought some hereabouts might enjoy it.  It very much functions in the manner of last week's 'The Moor's Pavane' - such as was so brilliantly coned by Birmingham Royal Ballet as the one contemporary item on a balletic mixed bill.  

Here is a precis:

Method in Madness is a powerful, large ensemble-led, interdisciplinary play that weaves together stunning physical theatre and dance with beautiful mask work, a fusion of original text fused and Shakespeare’s verse, soundtracked by the haunting music of Laura Marling. Set in 1941 blitz-struck London it explores the dangers of method acting whilst presenting the bravery of the British theatre industry during that dark period when Nazi bombers attempted to divide a nation. The play was awarded “Best of Fest” at the International Youth Arts Festival in 2014, was shortlisted for the NSDF festival in 2015 & was widely celebrated at the Edinburgh Fringe last year

You can additionally read about the show (and see photographs) here and see a video trailer here

There is no question but that I think Entita Theatre's work deserves the support of London's dance community.  

Side Note:  I wish there was a separate posting strand on BalletcoForum that was for 'Non-Ballet Items' - even those as produced by major Ballet Companies either resident or visiting - simply to add to our Site's overall clarity.  So much now falls under the contemporary dictate - especially with London now being recognised as a world contemporary dance fulcrum.  Moreover I think that those items which ARE specifically IN the balletic idiom need special protection, cherishing and promotion.  Alternatively the website might - purely for clarity's sake - be otherwise titled 'DancecoForum' representing a greater overall (i.e., less specific) inclusion.  What do others members think?  

I think that the more disparate the sub-forums become, the more difficult the site becomes to use.  I also note that this sub-forum refers to ballet/dance.  On borderline performances, who decides whether it's ballet or dance?  And when it comes to it, I really don't see why it matters - as one of my tutors often said: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Like 1