BBC programme about dance teacher shouting

annaliesey

I don't know how but I stumbled on this programme on BBC today about a little girl going to a dance class for the first time and not liking the teacher shouting. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dlx22/woolly-and-tig-series-1-3-the-dance-class

Do ballet/dance teachers really have that much of a reputation for shouting? haha

But seriously, I thought the programme was really sweet so thought I would share :)

• Like 3

I don't know how but I stumbled on this programme on BBC today about a little girl going to a dance class for the first time and not liking the teacher shouting. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dlx22/woolly-and-tig-series-1-3-the-dance-class

Do ballet/dance teachers really have that much of a reputation for shouting? haha

But seriously, I thought the programme was really sweet so thought I would share :)

Very cute, 

However, if you look very closely when the children are on the floor 'cycling' Miss Lottie pulled a child by their leg a small distance on the floor (probably to create space) but Oops, not the best practice.  :huh:

• Like 1

Well it seems the reputation the Russians have for shouting is not undeserved- DS had a hilarious experience the other day when the younger boys teacher (by reputation the scariest teacher in the school) marched his class into DS's (whilst they were warming up ) screamed at his 12 year olds to stand at the barre, screamed at DS to go to the barre, yelled 'TENDU' and when DS complied he pointed at DS's foot (with his big wooden stick- I kid you not) and screamed at the 12 year olds 'SEE, SEE- THAT'S WHAT YOUR FOOT SHOULD LOOK LIKE' and then marched his class back out without another word.

DS was completely made up. Now all the little boys bow when they see him in the corridor.

But seriously, I have not come across ballet teacher shouting in the UK at all. Compared to football, rugby and even swimming (the screamiest by far) ballet teachers are positive pussy cats :)

• Like 14

Oooo I saw this yesterday! Hardly ever put TV on for the children. I was cringing a bit but decided 'teacher' was probably 'just'an actress.

As a childminder, i used to get very fed up with the inaccurate portrayal of a childminder in another childrens programme (granny murray) and have been told 'it's not real' by the programme makers, which doesn't help give parents a true idea.

I just Googled ... the little girl and dad are really father & daughter, mum is played by an aunt and voiced by big sister.

Edited by Pixiewoo

Enjoyed your foot story :)

But seriously, I have not come across ballet teacher shouting in the UK at all. Compared to football, rugby and even swimming (the screamiest by far) ballet teachers are positive pussy cats :)

Really?  I've heard loads, usually just from sitting outside in waiting areas :) "Point your feet!" or "Again!" haha

I thought this was cute though as it shows the difference between shouting to be heard and just plain shouting. Surely it's not much different from primary school classrooms where sometimes staff shout to be heard. 

Re: the pulling of the foot.... I will occasionally do this too (only in pre-school/pre-primary when we're already sitting on very slippery mats) - it's quick and the kids love it! The kids are so small, and it's done for a maximum of 5 seconds so it's not likely to be dangerous. Every time I do it though, I do have something in my head thinking "should you really be doing this?!" but in reality the risk of harm is calculated. I'm all for safe dance practice but I don't think we should be alarmist over things that don't have any evidence of actually causing problems.

• Like 3

My girls had a dance teacher who was much 'shoutier' than miss lottie ???? to start with they were taken a bit aback but some people in life are loud, they have to get used to that! As long as it's not aggressive or bullying. The ankle pulling wouldn't worry me either, they do far worse than that to each other every day of the week!

• Like 1

Re: the pulling of the foot.... I will occasionally do this too (only in pre-school/pre-primary when we're already sitting on very slippery mats) - it's quick and the kids love it! The kids are so small, and it's done for a maximum of 5 seconds so it's not likely to be dangerous. Every time I do it though, I do have something in my head thinking "should you really be doing this?!" but in reality the risk of harm is calculated. I'm all for safe dance practice but I don't think we should be alarmist over things that don't have any evidence of actually causing problems.

I understand, and the thoughts in your head, but then your classes are held in the privacy of your own studio.  Amazing what goes on behind closed doors that ignorance is sometimes bliss.

Unlike this little moment savoured in-front of any camera for us all to see by CBBC!  I never intended the post to be a chastisement just an 'Oops moment', possibly missed by the producers, me thinks.  :P   

• Like 2

I understand, and the thoughts in your head, but then your classes are held in the privacy of your own studio.  Amazing what goes on behind closed doors that ignorance is sometimes bliss.

Unlike this little moment savoured in-front of any camera for us all to see by CBBC!  I never intended the post to be a chastisement just an 'Oops moment', possibly missed by the producers, me thinks.  :P   

Yes I think if I was being filmed by the BBC I'd be being a LOT more cautious!!!!!

• Like 2

I will never forget watching a summer school character class in the States. The teacher was Russian and the girls were really good and working so dilligently! One unfortunate girl couldn't get a certain step - she just didn't understand what she was doing wrong - but instead of explaining and showing her, the teacher simply ranted and raved and totally humiliated her verbally, bringing the poor girl to tears. The woman just kept making her do it over and over again, shouting at her when she (of course) continued to get it wrong! Eventually with a loud sigh, she showed her again and the girl immediately got it right and the class continued. I just thought what a waste of time and energy on both their parts! And this all took place in front of large glass windows which had phones that allowed you to listen in to the class as well as watch (bit like visiting a prison!). Yet no-one complained - I imagine they were used to this tyrant!

Edited by Dance*is*life

The teacher gently moved the little one, her little legs were in the air cycling, it was a very gentle move. The teacher was also projecting her voice, so everyone could hear her clear instructions, a big difference between projection and shouting. The children in the video wore all types of clothing and colours, this little girl clearly loved pink and wanted to wear pink.

I've finally managed to watch it. I player doesn't work when I'm at work.

By no stretch of the imagination was Miss Lottie shouting. I've taught drama to a class of 4-6 year olds & have been louder than that. You have to be heard over the music & over the general hubbub do the children can hear you. Her vocal expression was loud & clear but always had a frirndly tone.

I just caught her moving the child. My guess was that it was because she was too close to another child who might have inadvertently been kicked when "cycling". With children that age it's much much easier to physically alter their position than try to give a verbal instruction. Spacial awareness can be very poor.

• Like 2