Ponderings - to audition or not

Squeaky

My youngone is 11 and has gone through JA's and is now an MA
Auditioned last year and due to various circumstances going on the auditions weren't successful (which was ok) which reflected strongly in my youngones actual performance during auditions.

Now, we aren't sure whether to re-audition for vocational school Y8

Youngone is neither here nor there about it  - happy to go and do (even just for the fun and experience of it again!) but knows that realistically (as I do) that places will be few and far between

My youngone is aspiring to go to vocational but we aren't sure whether to give it a shot this year again or just hold on for another year, get ourselves settled back in (house and half a country move, new school and dance school etc) for the long haul, find our feet etc.   I do have to factor in that looking at it realistically I will struggle financially to do the audition rounds

Any advice or guidance anyone?   Am I hampering youngone's chances and experiences by not doing the audition rounds this time?  

It's tricky isn't it?

If she is an MA then she must have significant potential. But if she's not bothered about this year in particular and you would struggle to afford it personally I would hold off.

I'm assuming she has a good dance school to cover things in the meantime? What does the MA teacher think?

• Like 3

Thank you for the replies
Youngone isn't too bothered about auditioning this year purely based on that they know that realistically there may only be very limited spaces available at the outside chance and I do think they are aware that I am a bit financially strapped   Youngone does want that place at vocational at some point though!

I seem to have found an excellent new dance school for them - they seem focused there but have eased youngone in nicely, understand about youngones aspirations, the school has a really good vibe about it - youngone has now been attending for the 4 week and seems happy and settled - ergo I am happy :)
Youngone has just started MA's so haven't had chance to converse with the MA teacher, was wondering about emailing the JA teacher perhaps.

Argggh decisions decisions

• Like 1

If you feel you are just genuinely going to do it for the sake of it then save your money!

If however, your DD does want to do it but is putting on a front because she knows it's a financial strain, (both the audition rounds and the possibility of going away) then maybe just have a chat with her about what other options might be alongside MA and plans for future years. She might be putting on a brave face so I wouldn't assume she isn't passionate or hungry for it or it's not for her :)

Good luck with whatever you decide 

• Like 2

So much agree with annaliesey's comments.

One of the more horrifying conversations I have had with DS recently is that he would be reluctant to have more than one child because they are all aware of the sacrifices we have made for them all, and he doesn't want to end up with our lifestyle or to make the decisions we have made.  Apparently all 3 feel the same.  

I was really upset by this, the last thing I wanted them to feel was that they were a burden in any way, but they are more perceptive than we think.

• Like 3

Hi Squeaky

Your dd has done really well to gain an MA place as these are few and far between , which indicates at the moment she must have the attributes and potential for classical ballet.

A fantastic alternative to vocational school is the CAT scheme at Northern Ballet in Leeds. MDS funded and the majority of the students 16+ gain places at top schools.

• Like 3