Elmhurst Summer School

balletbean

I apologise if this question has already been asked but I can't seem to find it.

Elmhurst Summer school for a 14 yr old. What Grade (pref incl marks for latest exam) are the other girls that have been successful in the past that have been offered a place? How many apply (success rate in applying) and how many in each class, are they split per age or grades? Can't appear to find any info on the website. ???? Thank you.

Ps Any further info gratefully received ????

There are quite a few threads containing information about Elmhurst Summer School.  I've added some tags to your post so you can use them to search or use the search facility using quotes for "Elmhurst Summer School" to get up a list of the topics.

Here is one from earlier in the year:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/12416-elmhurst-summer-school/?hl=%22elmhurst+summer+school%22

• Like 2

Hi my 14 year old daughter did Elmhurst summer school. She had just finished year 9 and is now in year10. She is non vocational and is in Adv 1 and Grade 8 RAD also had to submit photos and is an Elmhurst Ext associate. She initially was on the wait list but only for about a week, but we wanted non residential. She felt ability wise she was about in the middle.There were approx 20-25 in the class. Classes taught mainly by Birmingham Royal ballet members and she loved it.

Hope that helps

Jo

• Like 1

That's very helpful Jo. Thank you.

Is 25 the norm? My DD is used to classes of between 6 to 10, (subject to which ballet class) there can even be less on some evenings at her regular Dance School. Been advised by her Ballet School Principal to apply just didn't know how many apply and how many places on offer. Is it just 20/25 in total or are there multiple classes for the age group? I appreciate you went for non residential but do have any info on the Accomdation during the SS. Shared rooms or single occupancy etc? Overall impression of the school, accessibility etc? I've never been to Birmingham so not familiar with the area at all. I've known about the school for more years than I care to remember but not as a parent, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again..

Class size does seem to be around 20. There are a number of groups and I don't know how they sort them. Most children are resident so they are limited by the boarding facilities. Younger children (14 would be younger) in twin shared rooms.

School moved to purpose built site 11 years ago so studios and facilities modern. Easy journey from train station and motorways. Summer school participants can't leave the school grounds during the week.

Apart from school's Artistic director, the jazz teacher and this year the Flamenco teacher the facility is made up of BRB dancers. Dd is a student at the school but opts to do the summer school as having tried various SS feels it is one of the best organised with a full timetable and variety of styles. They do a sharing of work in the theatre on pick up day and it varies how much your child does year on year.

You will find at any vocational school the year groups for girls will be around 15+ in size. Dd came from a school where some of her classes were only 2 students.

• Like 2

Ive asked DD and she is fairly sure classes were arranged in age and she was in the lowest , she was 14 in June. She is also used to small classes on the whole, but still felt she benefitted from the experience. Although she was non residential she was still allocated a block/ house where she could use the common room etc and as she made friends she went to their room. She could have stayed for all evening activities as well, some nights she did other she didnt.

Jo

• Like 1

I think there is one class in each age group, but there was some overlap, so Dd class was younger 14 year old and next class older 14 yera olds and younger 15 year olds and so on. i think we worked out there were around 200 at the whole summer school. Obviously would have no idea how many applied.

Jo

• Like 1

Jane that is so very helpful. Thank you.

DD was concerned with many SS of the age split, I don't think mentally she is ready to be grouped with the older girls especially with accomdation. The actual classes she is confident as they will know her grade/level ability. On paper she would be 15 but because she has a July birthday Birthday she will still think and feel like a 14 yr old.

Was your DD happy with the food on offer? I know we haven't applied as yet let alone offered a place but just want to know for sure before sending off a cheque/form. What's the area like, we would be flying in and I would have to stay in a hotel for the duration.

Sorry if questions sound basic or trivial but as DD would be on her own (unlike usual school trips) many of these questions would be answered by her teacher. Now I'm the teacher and don't wish to admit that I don't know.

Thanks again. Good to hear from beyond the prospectus.

They are kept very busy in the evenings. From what I remember a film, BRB demo with Q&A, mine workshop with Miss Tait. Don't think there is much time to worry about age group splits. From my dd experience she has shared a room with someone in her dance class and so roughly her age.

Dd has been full time at the school for 7 years and finds the food ok. Think SS same as normal school so variety of options with salad bar. Snacks tend to be fruit, flapjack etc believe. I tend not to hear about food anymore as it is too everyday to be news!

Dd has been brought up in a very rural location but copes with living next to the A38. The school is in one of the nicer parts of Birmingham.

It is very easy to get from Birmingham airport to the school or any other airport using public transport. If you are staying in the area you dd could of course be non residential but then she would miss the evening activities.

On the front page of the Elmhurst website there is a short film that gives an intro to the school. It will give you an idea of the facilities. It must be 4 or 5 years old.

• Like 2

Thank you Jane, that is most helpful. I think we may just have to submit the application form when they are released and just wait to see what happens. But at least I know a tad more now. 

Is your DD now in her last year? Just trying to work it out. After next years SS we will be considering full time 6th Form vocational schools. So there was another reason for applying for Elmhurst SS as a taster, if you know what I mean. I was just a tad concerned about the overall size. Just like your DD we come from quite a small community where all the dancing children tend to know each other. Elmhurst seems so large. Hotel would be for me as I would want her to experience the independence and accommodation. A stepping stone before the big move  ;)

If you book in advance there are various suitable Premier Inns etc. The one on Hagley Road is closest if you drive. If you go by train then the one in city centre near New St station is best as there is a good bus service from New St station to the school.

• Like 2

Another excellent summer school which may also be useful for 6th form research is Ballet West......

Totally agree, DD attended this summer and was invited back next summer. Loved it (both myself and DD) but did not want to put 'all eggs in one basket'. Wanting to compare to a full board 6th form with traditional academic studies for 6th form. Contrary to my DD!

The only downfall for BW 6th form is that they do not offer A levels, which I was keen for DD to gain. But that was really was the only downside I could find.  Even the isolated location could not deter us and having a wild deer wonder across the driveway was just surreal. Talking point of the week!

Edited by balletbean