Are ballet competitions worth doing?

ScottishDancerMum

my 7 year old just did her first ballet festival and she absolutely loved it and beamed on stage. another girl from her school did the same one and says she enjoyed it but frankly she looked petrified poor child. 

Oh, bless them both. Well done that nerves did not get the better of either of them and they still performed. Shows a real strength of character. A true performer in the making. :)

• Like 2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all, I just had to share my proudest mummy moment with you all. 

Local Dance Festival has just taken place over the past 4 days. Covering all Genres

DD entered the Ballet class, one of the youngest in her age group of 13 to 16 yrs.

First time performing En Pointe and my DD WINS, then performs all over again in the Gala in front of a packed theatre, 

Craziest most emotional happiest mummy moment ever. :wub:   

PS Then is awarded 2nd place in the tap class, only girl to be placed. Amongst the boys! 

Now to sort the house out and hoover up all the sequins!  :o

• Like 20

Morning all, I just had to share my proudest mummy moment with you all. 

Local Dance Festival has just taken place over the past 4 days. Covering all Genres

DD entered the Ballet class, one of the youngest in her age group of 13 to 16 yrs.

First time performing En Pointe and my DD WINS, then performs all over again in the Gala in front of a packed theatre, 

Craziest most emotional happiest mummy moment ever. :wub:   

PS Then is awarded 2nd place in the tap class, only girl to be placed. Amongst the boys! 

Now to sort the house out and hoover up all the sequins!  :o

Huge congratulations to your dd!!! I'm sure you were a super proud mum

• Like 1

I have another competition question, if you'll forgive me yet again...

For the ballet divisions of competitions/festivals, is the music typically classical?  Are non-classical pieces allowed?  Does anyone dance to pieces with lyrics, or is that reserved for lyrical divisions?  

Any pieces to avoid?  (i.e., ones that the judges hear and think "oh heavens, not this again!"

I understand it will be her teacher's decision, but she's not been to a ballet competition in a decade or two, so it's all in the preparation!  :)

• Like 1

I have another competition question, if you'll forgive me yet again...

For the ballet divisions of competitions/festivals, is the music typically classical?  Are non-classical pieces allowed?  Does anyone dance to pieces with lyrics, or is that reserved for lyrical divisions?  

Any pieces to avoid?  (i.e., ones that the judges hear and think "oh heavens, not this again!"

I understand it will be her teacher's decision, but she's not been to a ballet competition in a decade or two, so it's all in the preparation!   :)

If it's the same as in NZ, lyrics aren't used in ballet categories. But kids often dance to instrumental versions of non-classical pieces – all sorts from 'Love Story' to Sia!

• Like 2

If it's the same as in NZ, lyrics aren't used in ballet categories. But kids often dance to instrumental versions of non-classical pieces – all sorts from 'Love Story' to Sia!

My DD was recently in a ballet group that performed in a major international dance comp to the Orchestral version of 'Frozen' . It was a lovely piece and took a few seconds to recognise it without the lyrics but it worked beautifully and certainly age appropriate. In fact one of the judges commented on one young lady recently where she had performed to a very traditional classical piece for her ballet solo but felt it was not suitable for such a young dancer (directed at her teacher rather than the poor girl) . That is certainly something to consider as most classical pieces are adult focused. 

• Like 1

Generally classical music,though as Cara says, instrumental non classical music is sometimes used. Definitely no lyrics in classical ballet sections.

Perhaps counter intuitively, it is best to avoid well known ballet music. I'm not 100% certain why, but I have heard several adjudicators say the same thing.

• Like 2

That's all great advice - thank you!  I didn't get to stay to listen to all the ballet performances at the comp we went to a few weeks ago - I should have taken notes!

This is just to offer to our teacher in case she picks something well-known ballet.  I know she knows best, but still....

I have a huge collection of instrumentals (I was a soundtrack junkie in the 80s and 90s), but will keep in mind that sometimes the themes aren't really right for children.  There's a few I love, but wouldn't be right at all.  Will keep pondering ;)

Would love themes from movies be considered inappropriate for this age group?  

Edited by ScottishDancerMum
  • Like 1

That's all great advice - thank you!  I didn't get to stay to listen to all the ballet performances at the comp we went to a few weeks ago - I should have taken notes!

This is just to offer to our teacher in case she picks something well-known ballet.  I know she knows best, but still....

I have a huge collection of instrumentals (I was a soundtrack junkie in the 80s and 90s), but will keep in mind that sometimes the themes aren't really right for children.  There's a few I love, but wouldn't be right at all.  Will keep pondering ;)

Would love themes from movies be considered inappropriate for this age group?  

What age group (and grade) are you thinking of in particular? 

• Like 1

What is 'appropriate' is often something the teacher or parent has to decide. I felt rather uncomfortable watching a friend's 11-yr-old dancing a contemporary solo to the Hunger Games' 'Hanging Tree', including miming putting a noose around her neck, but her teacher/mother must have thought it was ok!

Generally for the little ones there is a lot of fairy dell/waterfall/sunrise sort of themes going on. I don't think 'love themes' in general are inappropriate – Cinderella could be called a love story I guess! But perhaps avoid the soundtrack to 'Fifty Shades'

• Like 3

I hope this isn't going too off track but I'm having the appropriate dilemma with DS who wants to enter a singing festival.

He will be 13 but is very small so the audience will look at him & assume he's about 8/10 years old (adjudicator will know age).

A friends DS recently sung 'Giants in the sky' from Into the woods at a singing competition. He is 12, but looks younger. He was told it was a very appropriate song.

I hope this isn't going too off track but I'm having the appropriate dilemma with DS who wants to enter a singing festival.

He will be 13 but is very small so the audience will look at him & assume he's about 8/10 years old (adjudicator will know age).

I ran across this web article about song choices - it had some good ideas!

https://hobbylark.com/performing-arts/Awesome-Talent-Show-Songs

• Like 2