Are ballet competitions worth doing?

ScottishDancerMum

Ask around to see whether there is a local 'adequate tutu maker'. Where we are, there s a local maker and the dance school costume person (also does lots of other stuff, but is the one who whips up e.g. new group costumes) can also maker perfectly adequate tutus with stretch tops and lots of layers of net skirts that lie almost flat for not much more than the cost of materials. A sort of halfway house between 'proper' pancakes and the type of thing you have linked to.

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My DDs first tutu was £19.99 off eBay crushed velvet stretchy lilac Lycra body comfy & forgiving - looked effective on stage & didn't stop her winning medals. Hanging in a corner in her bedroom as a memento now.

Edited by celb
  • Like 3

See, that's what I had been thinking!  Let them grow up a bit and mature as dancers and then get their pancake tutus, but I don't want my kid to be the one standing out.  I've already emailed the organisers of the festival that we're hoping to take part in, to see if there's any express rules about it.  I just don't want her to feel out of place, or "less than", and let her dancing do the talking... but what if it hits her confidence?

We had been looking at this one - my daughter loved the colour:  http://www.turnoutdancewear.co.uk/store/p1714/Dulcet_Sequin_Tutu_-_COTU0020.html

Or this navy one:  https://www.weissmanscostumes.com/tap_and_jazz/pants_and_shorts/10029-clearance.aspx

Neither are pancakes.  My sewing skills aren't great (I can hem, tuck, and embellish the heck out of something, but I'm not good with changing structure :( ) and I didn't know if perhaps a pancake layer could be added under these.  Also, I didn't know if they needed to have that boning look (seems a bit OTT for 7 - 9 year olds, but what do I know?)

If I were starting over again, I would look at something like this

http://www.movedancewear.com/tutus_and_skirts_tutus-alegra_basic_kids_camisole_tutu/2533/

And then you can embellish the heck out of it :D

• Like 2

I make structured tutu's, they have approx 40-50 hours work in them, that's why they are expensive. Obviously you are getting a fully fitted costume for this number of hours and hopefully an individual design. I earn around minimum wage at the most for a skilled job and am never really able to charge for the 'real' number of hours I put in. 

Taxi is right, Irish dresses take even longer as often do National costumes.

Edited by Loulabelle
  • Like 1

I don't want my kid to be the one standing out. 

Yes you do!

I’m no adjudicator, but I have sat through a fair few dance competitions over the years. I sometimes think very expensive tutus on under 10s are used to distract from the lack of technique. Similarly, routines with excessive use of props. Get the feet and port de bras right, smile and enjoy :)

I like the tutu your daughter likes ScottishDanceMum, and the one Cara suggested looks very like my daughter’s first tutu (when she was 8). 

On a related point - ballet shoes should be fairly snug for comps so that the shape of the feet can be seen. And if you’ve not done ribbons on shoes before I’d practise in advance of your first comp day! 

Good luck :)

• Like 2

I make structured tutu's, they have approx 40-50 hours work in them, that's why they are expensive. Obviously you are getting a fully fitted costume for this number of hours and hopefully an individual design. I earn around minimum wage at the most for a skilled job and am never really able to charge for the 'real' number of hours I put in. 

Taxi is right, Irish dresses take even longer as often do National costumes.

I completely understand the artistry and hard work involved in these beautiful costumes... I'm grateful people like you still practice the craft, despite not being paid what you deserve!  In reading about them this weekend, I saw that one 10-layer tutu can take 120 yards of tulle and net.  That's a LOT of tulle, and a lot of tiny pleats and tacking and teensy-tiny stitches.  They are works of art.

My concern is the underlying "requirement" that a very young dancer would need one just to compete in the Juvenile level.  It's like getting to drive a Ferrari when you've just gotten your learner's permit.

Please keep up your hard work :)  It makes me wish I'd learned more about sewing.

• Like 4

Yes you do!

I’m no adjudicator, but I have sat through a fair few dance competitions over the years. I sometimes think very expensive tutus on under 10s are used to distract from the lack of technique. Similarly, routines with excessive use of props. Get the feet and port de bras right, smile and enjoy :)

I like the tutu your daughter likes ScottishDanceMum, and the one Cara suggested looks very like my daughter’s first tutu (when she was 8). 

On a related point - ballet shoes should be fairly snug for comps so that the shape of the feet can be seen. And if you’ve not done ribbons on shoes before I’d practise in advance of your first comp day! 

Thank you, BlueLou... you are right on that point!  I'd want the adjudicator to see my daughter and say, "hey... nicely done!" and not "nice tutu... too bad about the feet!"

And thanks for the point about the ribbons.  She normally wears Bloch leather ballet shoes for class, but I saw a few girls wearing satin ballet shoes instead.  And she's never worn ribbons yet.

• Like 1

I agree with you ScottishDancerMum, it really isn't necessary for a very young dancer to have an expensive tutu. I often sigh to myself when the mother of a 6/7 year old comes to me for an elaborate tutu that will last a year at the most before they have to bring it back to be altered. A six year old tutu will take me the same amount of time to make as a ten year old so will be a similar price .I have made stretch ones and even sometimes just added net to a leotard myself, they look very pretty from the audience.

Peer pressure has a lot to answer for. I think it would be a good idea if tiny dancers weren't allowed to wear structured tutus, just a skirted leotard maybe until they reach a certain age or one of the stretch tutus suggested above.  I certainly make tutus for the love of the creative process not for the money as do all the other tutu makers I know.

Stick to your beliefs and don't rush out and have a tutu made until you are sure your DD is going to enjoy competing. They make good birthday/Christmas presents!

• Like 5

Tutu does not make the dancer in my opinion and I think I paid £20 for my dd's first competition tutu.  It was second hand from a child who had outgrown it at her dance school.  It's often easy to alter seams etc if you can get a nice tutu second hand, providing you have some basic seamstress skills or know someone who does.  

Sometimes it's good to stand out as the adjudicator/judge will remember the routine better if she has a tied place so difference is often a good thing.

My dd did competitions for 10 years, and still does group dance comps and I never paid more than £50 for a tutu.  My mum made a lot of her character and song & dance costumes so we didn't do too badly until it came to modern lyrical costumes which came from America and cost a fortune.  

Just remember to stay away from the scary dance mums who live their lives through their child's dancing and it can be a fun and enjoyable experience.  I always found that it assisted my DD's performance element, and we both made friends from other dance schools that we saw regularly on the circuit.   Key things to remember is that it's only a dance competition, no one will die if they don't get a medal, when 22 children compete then no matter how good they are not everyone can get placed.  I always told my daughter to do her best and be happy for those children who got medals and trophies.  She stuck to this and I have had many complements from parents and other dance teachers about her positive attitude at comps.  It did help that she won a lot though  :D

• Like 3

I wanted to thank everyone for the fantastic warm welcome, and for all the advice!  I feel like I've landed in a safe place to discuss dance and have learned a lot already from your forum :)

We are going to watch a competition in Glasgow in November, and go from there.  She's looking at song choice options and wavers from being really excited to being worried about stage fright.  We'll see what happens.  She's so young, yet when she's in class she's super focussed and really competitive... she was intent on becoming the youngest person to do splits in her group, and when she sees the older girls she watches everything they do.  It's beautiful to watch her develop this skill.

Thank you all again!

Hi, Just a thought, if your DD is considering song and dance, double check with the organisers in advance. Some provide ear/face microphones, some don't. For warned is for armed. Also practice if possible with your DD wearing one. It can be quite daunting for the first time performer. 

Good Luck

PS Also check the age groups as I believe no two comps are the same, one minute a child is top of an age group the next they are competing against dancers up to 3 years older. Challenging for the most confident of children let alone the complete festival beginner. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

If you can't borrow or hire one locally have a look on eBay for costumes too or there are some selling groups on Facebook where parents are selling on costumes their dc's have outgrown & you can pick up some beautiful costumes on there. Definitely set a budget that you are comfortable with for your costumes & stick to it because it is all too easy to get carried away & beautiful costumes don't necessarily have to cost a fortune.

Totally agree, I bought a stunningly beautiful tutu off Ebay. Which was totally new to me. Fortunately a friend lived near the seller and was able to check condition before purchase was made. It still worked out cheaper even with postage to have the tutu shipped from Cairns in Oz than it was to buy one from a UK site 2nd Hand!! Biggest 'frisbee' type parcel that the postie had even seen.  :D

• Like 2

Yes you do!

Totally agree, the technique must shine and not just the glitter on the tutu. 

Advice to other newbies, please double check with your DD ballet teacher before purchasing any costume especially tutu's. My DD ballet teacher likes all the younger students (i.e under 10/11) to wear a white tutu. The aggro by not consulting with the teachers first is not worth the hassle.  

• Like 2

One of the missing posts mentioned being discouraged from using too much sparkle on the tutu (I'm paraphrasing, sorry).  We were also told to keep it simple in that way, and no arm cuffs or tiaras. 

How much is too much?  The one she likes has sparkle, but I didn't think it was OTT...  

http://ids.co.uk/dulcet-sequin-tutu.html

Hi, Just a thought, if your DD is considering song and dance, double check with the organisers in advance. Some provide ear/face microphones, some don't. For warned is for armed. Also practice if possible with your DD wearing one. It can be quite daunting for the first time performer. 

Good Luck

Thanks for the heads up.  I don't think we are planning on S&D, for a while anyway.  We're just going to start with ballet and tap.  But I'm grateful for the advice if she changes her mind :)    (we watched the Senior S&D on Sunday, and she didn't realise the dancers would need to sing too!  She's not a bad singer, but she's much shyer with her singing than her dancing)

Tutu does not make the dancer in my opinion and I think I paid £20 for my dd's first competition tutu.  It was second hand from a child who had outgrown it at her dance school.  It's often easy to alter seams etc if you can get a nice tutu second hand, providing you have some basic seamstress skills or know someone who does.  

Sometimes it's good to stand out as the adjudicator/judge will remember the routine better if she has a tied place so difference is often a good thing.

My dd did competitions for 10 years, and still does group dance comps and I never paid more than £50 for a tutu.  My mum made a lot of her character and song & dance costumes so we didn't do too badly until it came to modern lyrical costumes which came from America and cost a fortune.  

Just remember to stay away from the scary dance mums who live their lives through their child's dancing and it can be a fun and enjoyable experience.  I always found that it assisted my DD's performance element, and we both made friends from other dance schools that we saw regularly on the circuit.   Key things to remember is that it's only a dance competition, no one will die if they don't get a medal, when 22 children compete then no matter how good they are not everyone can get placed.  I always told my daughter to do her best and be happy for those children who got medals and trophies.  She stuck to this and I have had many complements from parents and other dance teachers about her positive attitude at comps.  It did help that she won a lot though  :D

I think this is wonderful advice - if we go with this, we should both have a better experience than making it all "do or die".  It's supposed to be fun!

I'm so glad I landed here... I feel like I'm in very good hands :)

• Like 2

Hi SDM

The tutu you have linked to is very pretty - I like it! Personally I think it is a bit too glitzy for ballet - but others may disagree and it probably varies between areas. I would go for a non glittery bodice but maybe sew an applique on?

My comment about the sparkle is one of the missing posts.

I referred to adjudicator commenting about DD's sparkly tutu being too much. The tutu was stretch with half a dozen rows of sequin trim sewn diagonally across the bodice, I don't think it was too much myself, but I do love a bit of glitz ????

This was quite a few years ago so times might have changed. DD only wore it for one year so no idea if other adjudicators would have felt the same.

I think with hindsight sarahw's suggestion is a great one you can buy some beautiful appliqués and add a few stones to bling up a little. Good luck x

• Like 1

I've been looking at costumes all afternoon and am still very torn.  I'm trying to keep to the budget of £30-45 for her tutu, and while I'm not scared of embellishing a plain outfit (I'm a nail tech... usually there's no such thing as too much glitter!), I'm just nervous about how much is too much.  

I PM'd Flit and Float as she's from the same area and may have some idea about local expectation.  

Edited by ScottishDancerMum

My comment about the sparkle is one of the missing posts.

I referred to adjudicator commenting about DD's sparkly tutu being too much. The tutu was stretch with half a dozen rows of sequin trim sewn diagonally across the bodice, I don't think it was too much myself, but I do love a bit of glitz

This was quite a few years ago so times might have changed. DD only wore it for one year so no idea if other adjudicators would have felt the same.

I think with hindsight sarahw's suggestion is a great one you can buy some beautiful appliqués and add a few stones to bling up a little. Good luck x

Funnily enough, this year a saw a dancer do her classical solo in a tutu whose *entire* bodice was sequins. I thought it was a bit OTT, but she won!

For her first time doing her classical barefoot, my DD wore a black leo with a pretty blue/pink floral border and matching skirt in the floral print, and was a bit put off when a girl in her age-group (11) told her their teacher wouldn't let them wear black on stage before they were 14! So teacher AND adjudicator preferences vary and you can't get it right all the time.

• Like 1

Definitely run any costume ideas past your teacher as teachers all seem to have their own preferences as to what their students wear on stage & it definitely differs from teacher to teacher.

Personally I like tutus that are not too OTT. I do like a bit of sparkle so long as the design itself is quite classical but I don't like arm puffs or huge tiaras especially on younger dancers. I do think on younger dancers sometimes it's a case of less is more as there's nothing worse than a tiny dancer on stage being swamped by this huge glitzy extravagant tutu.

Adjudicators too all have their own ideas as to what they like & you'll never get it right every time so just be guided by your teacher & go out & have fun. Be warned though one festival & one dance usually leads on to more festivals & several dances (& a larger costume bill) but I do think it's worth it for the performance experience my dd has gained from it

• Like 2

I think any adjudicator worth his or her salt can see beyond a costume. And if they do have strong views, you can't predict them, or change costumes every time to suit, so the best thing is to just pick something you, your little dancer and the teacher are happy with. Personally I would go for something a bit more classical than the tutu in the link but that's just MY opinion, which doesn't mean a lot really!What a dancer does should matter a lot more than what they are wearing, and if it doesn't, well, I wouldn't take that adjudicator's views terribly seriously. Whatever you choose, chances are some people will like it and others won't - you have to let those things go over your head.

• Like 5

How much is too much?  The one she likes has sparkle, but I didn't think it was OTT...  

http://ids.co.uk/dulcet-sequin-tutu.html

Thanks for the heads up.  I don't think we are planning on S&D, for a while anyway.  We're just going to start with ballet and tap.  But I'm grateful for the advice if she changes her mind :)    (we watched the Senior S&D on Sunday, and she didn't realise the dancers would need to sing too!  She's not a bad singer, but she's much shyer with her singing than her dancing)

I think this is wonderful advice - if we go with this, we should both have a better experience than making it all "do or die".  It's supposed to be fun!

I'm so glad I landed here... I feel like I'm in very good hands :)

I think the trick is trying to find a balance between singing first then dancing, breathing is notoriously challenging at the end of a routine to put in those final notes. That's the time that the stronger singers start to stand out from the rest. 

Good Luck 

• Like 2

I don't believe (hope) the British festival scene is like this but I found this interesting read when culling the links today:

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/article112397897.html

That article seemed very sad, with all the intense pressure and early injuries.  That 11 year old who wanted to quit because she didn't win?  She was a lovely dancer, yet somehow something has gone wrong there.  Winning can't be the only thing.

There has to be a happy medium somehow.  We recently visited friends in Wisconsin, USA, and they were telling me the pressure about getting 4 and 5 year olds into local "travel teams".... for dance, football, gymnastics, soccer, whathaveyou.  Trips every month, with the cost of buses, hotel stays, comp fees... not seeing the rest of your family several days a month.  My friend said it was hard to find a dance class for her daughter that didn't have these kinds of expectations.  She wanted a basic intro ballet education for a 6 year old, not a "Dance Moms" lifestyle.  She's still looking for a better fit. 

I was hoping that this might give my daughter a chance to perform, and to work on something other than her dance class material.  She sees the other girls competing in Highland, getting trophies and going to events on the weekend, but she's limited to dancing group numbers every 18 months in the school recital.  She wants to try harder things, and if we go into this with an open mind and no illusions about winning, I think it could be a good experience.  

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the link to that article Janet. It was very interesting & very sad the intense pressure these kids are under to win. It also makes you realise the importance of balance & whilst I do think dance festivals & competitions do have their place in terms of performance experience they really are not the be all & end all that they can so easily become. I do however relate to the mother who didn't want to think what she spent on dance but I personally would value good quality training over triumph.

ScottishDancerMum I think you & your daughter will really enjoy taking part in competitions as it sounds like you are going into it with the right attitude. I think it is great fun for them & I know my dd's really look forward to them.

• Like 4

6 more sleeps in this household until my DD takes part in the local dance festival, spread over 4 days. Eek. 

School kindly/politely 'informed' of her absence. Given up with asking. 

Excited, apprehensive, nervous and that's just me! 

Good Luck to anyone with upcoming exams, auditions and festivals  :wub:

• Like 6

6 more sleeps in this household until my DD takes part in the local dance festival, spread over 4 days. Eek. 

Good Luck to anyone with upcoming exams, auditions and festivals  :wub:

Good luck, Wee Bean!

• Like 1

Good Luck to anyone with upcoming exams, auditions and festivals :wub:

Good luck to your dd balletbean. I just 'inform' the school of my dd's absence too. I don't think I have ever asked permission. The way I look at it is that if they said no I would be taking her anyway

• Like 2

DD's school records it as 'approved sporting activity' (like a sports tournament away from school) so she doesn't even have an absence code, let alone an unauthorised absence!

They're really good about it, tbh, but then only 1 of the 3 annual festivals is in term time.

• Like 3