Lower school entry yr8

Mummy twinkle toes

Are many people applying for yr8? Dd is Elmhurst associate but we also know they do not really assess out until yr9. I believe Wl has same policy? Is it then worthwhile or should we wait for yr9? Not sure if there would be any capacity and funding. Dd is undecided but I said it is good experience and gets her seen again. Opinions please.

Children do get into Elmhurst in year 8 and some with funding. Vocational school year groups are very fluid, with leavers and joiners most years.

Elmhurst are also trialling a new assessment policy that will see children being continually assessed and if not meeting required standards then a series of events will be triggered to hopefully get them up to standard quickly by setting goals. They say the aim is to keep as many children as possible in the school and transition into US but those that the training is not suitable for will be helped to move to a more suitable environment.

I think we will see places available in every year.

Also remember if they like your dd they will take her regardless of whether anyone has left the year or not. But she needs to want to audition.

My DD got to WL and Elmhurst finals for year 7 but didn't get a place. She reauditioned in the January prelims for a year 8 place and was offered an immediate place in year 7 as a place had opened up and started after Easter in year 7 - so go for it if your DD wants to

Even if not assessed out children leave school anyway. In current year 8: 3 children left during year 7, 2 didn't come back for year 8 after summer. 2 children got in to year 8 last year. So very few places fir year 8 and 9 but it is possible to get in.

Do you know why they all left - seems a high drop out rate?

Couple of them were veeery homesick, another few (after realising how difficult,demanding,repetitive ballet training is in vocational school) decided that they don't want to be a dancer any more. Anyway that's what I know and I'm not sure if it's true. Everybody's story is different and there are lots of roads to Rome. Just wanted to point out l that it's possible to get in for year 8 and 9.

• Like 2

Couple of them were veeery homesick, another few (after realising how difficult,demanding,repetitive ballet training is in vocational school) decided that they don't want to be a dancer any more. Anyway that's what I know and I'm not sure if it's true. Everybody's story is different and there are lots of roads to Rome. Just wanted to point out l that it's possible to get in for year 8 and 9.

Happymum - just going to send you a PM

Happymum...My daughter left because I had issues with the lack of pastoral care regarding free time and student dynamics. Also, my daughter found the classes boring. She is now doing more demanding challenging ballet training and I can see that vocational boarding wasn't for her. There are many different routes as you say.

Edited by ballet1234
  • Like 8