Polunin resigns from RB

Dear me - no one is indispensable. That's one of the first things I learned when I started work many moons ago. Exactly how many people book for exact casts. Yes, we might all do on this Forum, but apart from that - I suspect not, apart from Carlos Acosta performances......and does that fill the ROH every evening, I think not. I remember sitting next to someone in that very last Sylvie Guillem Manon who had no idea who she was.

Fame is short lived especially at the age of 22. There's a long career ahead..........or.......

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I just heard a trail for BBC Radio 4's Sunday morning programme "Broadcasting House" (9am) claiming they'll have an interview with Polunin's partner in the Tattoo Parlour venture! If not the horse's mouth, then perhaps the stable boy's?

Edited by Ian Macmillan

Mr Polunin appears to have spoken to the "Telegraph" though not, I'd say, in any very revealing fashion:

"Polunin himself told The Sunday Telegraph he planned to spend the next few days "alone" before coming to a decision about his future. "It's a confusing time at the moment, I have made a big decision and the next one will be important so I don't want to rush it," he said, breaking his silence."

http://www.telegraph...orming-out.html

Edited by Ian Macmillan

Further to my #35, I am no better informed after this morning's "Broadcasting House" feature than at any time since the news broke. His tattooing buddy had nothing substantive to add, but Ivan Putrov seemed to hint at having talked about "this" with him for about a year - however, I think that he meant the "Men in Motion" show rather than defection.

Just checked my father's Sunday Times which has yet another article on the subject. Hope it's OK to quote a bit from it:

"...........his conduct at the Royal Ballet was exemplary until Tuesday when, according to an insider, there was an argument between him and the company after a rehearsal.

“He was having a bad day — a bad rehearsal — when he took offence at something the coach said. It was a strop. He stormed to the director’s office, and I think the decision was maybe mishandled,” the source said."

Edited by Bluebird

"I think the decision was maybe mishandled" and not just a decision!!!

It's incredible how they were ready to get rid off of a 21 boy, who seems the only future star of the company. Maybe Sergei decision is irrevocable, I hope not of course, but it seems that everything has been rushed too much by people who should be wiser and more mature than him.... unfortunately another probe (if needed) that something is really wrong inside there.

Anna, I absolutely agree. Reading between the lines (probably as reliable a way of getting to the truth as reading anything 'official'about the matter) I'd say it's all about everyone being too hasty: Polunin is young and inexperienced and may have been overwhelmed at the burden of his upcoming RB commitments, and the RB management - instead of reassuring him - have gone ahead and made an immediate announcement.

Fingers firmly crossed that the situation can be resolved and that SP is not permanently lost to the RB.

I'd be surprised if this departure was solely caused by a strop on Tuesday and would imagine that whatever happened then proved to be the final straw after behaviour or incidents over an extended period. And I did notice one thread of opinion in Tuesday's Twitter storm suggesting that this had been coming for some time.

I'd be surprised if this departure was solely caused by a strop on Tuesday and would imagine that whatever happened then proved to be the final straw after behaviour or incidents over an extended period. And I did notice one thread of opinion in Tuesday's Twitter storm suggesting that this had been coming for some time.

I agree - Ian. When others have said they are not surprised it has happened it can't have been a one off thing as the Times have implicated. If it was a one off - I'm sure the end result of the strop would not have been the same.

Edited by Shirley

I agree - Ian. When others have said they are not surprised it has happened it can't have been a one off thing as the Times have implicated. If it was a one off - I'm sure the end result of the strop would not have been the same.

It would be really interesting to know who are the well informed "others". As far as I know there was great surprise among the poeple usually around Sergei.

I think that too many are talking too much to the press, and some not in a clever way, IMO.

Isn't better to wait and listen what Sergei has to say? I don't expect anything from Mason, even if there would be a lot to ask her about many many interesting topics.

"...........his conduct at the Royal Ballet was exemplary until Tuesday when, according to an insider, there was an argument between him and the company after a rehearsal.

“He was having a bad day — a bad rehearsal — when he took offence at something the coach said. It was a strop. He stormed to the director’s office, and I think the decision was maybe mishandled,” the source said."

And it seems to me that that directly contradicts at least one other report, so - who knows what, if anything, is true?

Something interesting is happening at the moment. The information and casting page for The Dream/Song of the Earth bill is coming up as an error page (all other pages on the ROH website are working normally). I wonder if they're in the process of putting up the modified casting?

Something interesting is happening at the moment. The information and casting page for The Dream/Song of the Earth bill is coming up as an error page (all other pages on the ROH website are working normally). I wonder if they're in the process of putting up the modified casting?

It was back online a few moments ago still saying "TBC", but it's gone back to the error page again now.

Edited by bangorballetboy

Error pages come and go as they will on that site, it seems to me. I do hope we get a second cast, if they've got someone suitable: going from three Oberons last time to one this time would be a grave disappointment. Good as I'm sure he'll be in it, I've no more wish to see McRae dance it 6 times than I had to see Rojo 6 times in Carmen.

Edit: yes, I'm getting the error page, too.

Edited by alison

I keep checking to see the revised cast for The Dream, I suppose Wednesday will be McRae, but I hope someone else will be given a chance to dance Oberon on the other Polunin nights, I noticed from another posting that Zuchetti was dancing Puck on Wednesday, I suppose that is a replacement for Jose Martin?

Further to Wulff's post, above, the link is here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/dance/9053429/Sergei-Polunin-loses-right-to-work-in-UK.html

It includes mention of an offer from ENB to do class there.

And whilst we're at it, there were some odd Tweets, ostensibly from Mr Polunin, early this morning.

According to an article in todays " Telegraph" SP's UK work permit has automatically been revoked as a result of his resignation from the RB.

Well, naturally, since he is from a non-EU country and no longer has an employer. I was wondering when that would occur to somebody.

Well, naturally, since he is from a non-EU country and no longer has an employer. I was wondering when that would occur to somebody.

What did Putrov when the Royal Ballet let him go?

Being co-owner of the tattoo shop, Polunin has a job and incomes, or not?

Edited by annamicro

I claim no expertise in the law and regulations in this area. However, as the RB (or ROH) presumably had to sponsor him for the work visa that he has, I would be very surprised if it is not legally required to report to the appropriate Authority when his employment there is terminated. And I assume that action would not necessarily preclude another organisation making an application to employ him. (I would be surprised if ENB were to do so, unless Wayne Eagling wants to upset Vadim Muntagirov ... and Miss Klimentova.) As to his status as co-owner of a business, that may well offer another route to staying in the UK ..... if that is what he would like to do.

I wondered of Sergei could go to Birmingham Royal Ballet- Robert Parker is due to retire so there would be a vacancy and their rep is so varied I think that may suit him. I don't see him with ENB as someone said as that would potentially upset Vadim's apple cart.

I personally think Sergei should spend some time at home with his family - he has been without the guidance of his natural parents for a huge part of his formative years and it worries me that he has effectively had to be independent since he was 13. It must have some effect on him. Poor chap it sounds like he is in turmoil but the drugs (heroin) he talks about are not the answer. Oh dear.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

I thought someone said it was Paul Kay last year, though I may have been wrong. I note that none of the people I was told were covers last year have been moved into the spare places.

I wonder how long it'll be before we get to hear of the other cast replacements for period 3.