London children's ballet Secret Garden

Caitlin_dance

My DD did the LCB2 touring company last year and absolutely loved it. Parents did get to watch a special performance at the rehearsal venue but not during the tour itself.

Congratulations to all yeses and commiserations to all nos. it's very selective. DD didn't even get a callback this year!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Margarite, Petalviolet and Flowerpot, your daughters did amazingly well to get to the finals.  I haven't figured out how selection process works, my dd says all girls at the finals danced really well. 

I re-read the letter again, the touring company this year will train for 5 days on Sundays * 5 hours per day and then will tour for 5 days with performances in February or July or September.  It would not be a huge commitment.

It also says that 48 kids were selected for the touring co from 450 auditioned. 30 were taken into the main company.  I have many friends with ballet kids but know only one girl who danced in the main company last year.

My DD can still audition for RBS JA since she will be free in May.  This year she had a place on  RBS JA Yr 4 SWL but a place didn't materialise. DD will go to audition again. 

• Like 2

Well, goes to show you don't know what positives will come from an audition.

DD and her friend have just gone in for the first of two long awaited ballet exams and we were a bit worried that getting the "No" this week would knock their confidence a bit.. :-(

Who should the examiner be? One of the judges from the LCB audition!!

They were beside themselves with excitement!! "We KNOW HIM!! We KNOW him!He's got PINK SOCKS!!!!!"

Didn't have to remind them to smile as they were beaming when they went it.

You just don't know what's round the corner do you?

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 28/02/2017 at 01:28, junedancer said:

Congratulations to Forum members with DC in this year's, main and touring, companies -

My daughter is now preparing for the July tour. Children are taught by Victoria Collinson and two other teachers.  DD is so looking forward to every Sunday morning.   They are doing the same Secret Garden ballet but might be a slightly shorter version.

Victoria was also on our judging panel together with Sylvia Hubbard and 1 or 2 others for RBS JA year5 in London in May. I am not sure about the panel composition on other days. We are waiting for theJA results :) 

• Like 1

Did anyone see their performance in May? DD wanted to audition for it but we had holiday booked over May half term already.

We have been to see the past two productions, they are so lovely.

Have just seen that audition dates for 2018 are on their website. ... (Only just recovering from all the associates auditions !!:wacko: )

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 16:59, Splitz17 said:

Did anyone see their performance in May? DD wanted to audition for it but we had holiday booked over May half term already.

We have been to see the past two productions, they are so lovely.

Have just seen that audition dates for 2018 are on their website. ... (Only just recovering from all the associates auditions !!:wacko: )

DD loved it!  Having missed the auditions last year she would love to try this time round.  Does anyone know when they rehearse?  Audition dates and show dates are all that I could see on the web site.

I thought they were changing the format this year - last year's announcement was for a larger company with a show in a West End theatre in 2018 but I see it is 60 children back at the Peacock.  Anyone with insight on this?  Would also like to know rehearsal days/times before applying?  I am assuming schools will allow time off for this? 

If they are returning to the Peacock, the commitment is every Sunday between New Year and the first appearance. Even if your child is not required you cannot ask for a Sunday off. But whenever you won't be required you don't have to go in. 

There's a full week of rehearsals or two over Easter depending on school holidays, your child will apply for a licence to perform from you residential LA and this includes some rehearsals during school days for certain children. 

Head teachers written permission is often required by you LA licensing officer. So Tring and YDA normally say yes or no to their pupils depending on their other commitments / exams.

Use to clash with SATs and 11+ and taking GCSE's early for a few. 

A lot will depend on the choreographer and your child's role, full company call though, over Easter 

Big commitment but worth it, the experience has literally set up 100's in to the industry and given hundreds more the required skills for other work 

I cannot recommend the audition experience enough. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Splitz17 said:

As I understand it, the reference to 'larger company' and 'West End show' refers to the usual format - ie. 50-60 dancers at the Peacock (which is in the West End!)

Looks like I have completely misunderstood the announcement last year.  There also seems to be some misinformation going around as I had heard a few months back that the Peacock had double booked this year which was one reason they changed the format and that they would be using another theatre in 2018.

Looking back at last years announcement does anyone know what happened to the plans for partner schools.  I passed this on at the time to DD's teacher but don't think she followed up.  I haven't seen or heard anything more about this venture.

17 hours ago, Newdancermum said:

Looks like I have completely misunderstood the announcement last year.  There also seems to be some misinformation going around as I had heard a few months back that the Peacock had double booked this year which was one reason they changed the format and that they would be using another theatre in 2018.

This may well be the case - I'm not really in the loop!

Wonder which theatre it would be...

Does anyone know if there's any flexibility on the audition dates? Dd is dancing with SYB this year, and their final show is the same Sunday as the final LCB audition (were she to get that far). She clearly can't miss the show, but is so keen, having seen the production of The Secret Garden.

53 minutes ago, Splitz17 said:

This may well be the case - I'm not really in the loop!

Wonder which theatre it would be...

This is what the web site says - I have either misunderstood what I was told last year or they have changed plans.  If the audition dates work I will see if DD wants to give it a go this year.

6 minutes ago, Confuddled said:

Does anyone know if there's any flexibility on the audition dates? Dd is dancing with SYB this year, and their final show is the same Sunday as the final LCB audition (were she to get that far). She clearly can't miss the show, but is so keen, having seen the production of The Secret Garden.

Last year we asked if DD could go to the alternative prelim date for the one for her age group and were told no.  If there is no flexibility at that stage I would doubt they would at finals but worth asking I would think.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, junedancer said:

Last year we asked if DD could go to the alternative prelim date for the one for her age group and were told no.  If there is no flexibility at that stage I would doubt they would at finals but worth asking I would think.

I'll ask, but I won't get dd's hopes up. It's a shame, as I suspect quite a few of the SYB dancers would like to have gone for it.

• 2 weeks later...