Tring auditions for 2017 entry

Happymum

Does anyone know what the academic tests are like for sixth form entry - in terms of subjects assessed, duration of tests etc? Many Thanks

Hi, According to their website 'only under 16's have to be assessed academically'.  

However, if a student wishes to take AS levels Tring also stated that the student has had to obtain a B Grade in the subject at GCSE. On that note I would suspect that they would expect students to have at least 5 GCSE's A to C Grades but as we all know those grades won't be known until the August, just like all other applications to 6th Form colleges there can be a last minute reevaluation of subjects to be chosen for AS levels. 

Hope that helps.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Balletbean! According to the letter that we have had from Tring, all prospective candidates for the 6th form dance course take an academic assessment on the day of the audition, I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on what this consists of and whether the preparation that my dd has already done for her mock GCSEs will be enough (on second thoughts don't answer that point lol). Just ever so slightly concerned that more attention has been paid by her to the 1-minute solo. At the Tring Open Day they placed great emphasis on the 'academics' and cited the example of a young man who had chosen to forsake dance in favour of medicine. Just how big a deal is academic ability for a successful application?

Edited by Guest

League Tables and funding issues can be a big reason for academic assessments/qualifications.

The other reason is that any pupil at a vocational school or college will have essays, projects etc to complete for their Dip or BA(Hons) requiring a certain level of education. Not matter how focused a pupil is to pursue a dancing career the adult world still revolves around your academic qualications. Love it or hate it. It's reality we can't avoid.

My son is currently in 6:1 at Tring and while the school are very proud of their academic achievements and they want the children to have a sensible back up plan if dancing doesn't turn out to be their career, offers on places will be on dance ability/potential and academic testing is really to assess where about a child is - decisions on offers are in no way decided by academic test. On the dance course there are students doing 0, 1, 2 and 3 A'levels. Not worth the worry AT ALL!

According to the letter that we have had from Tring, all prospective candidates for the 6th form dance course take an academic assessment on the day of the audition

This must be new then, as when my dd auditioned a couple of years ago for 6th-form there wasn't a test on the day. We were just asked to arrange for her academic school to send a report.

This must be new then, as when my dd auditioned a couple of years ago for 6th-form there wasn't a test on the day. We were just asked to arrange for her academic school to send a report.

There was no academic test last year either, not at the prelims or funding finals.

• Like 1

Very interesting - so no point in asking what to expect from the test  :huh: . We definitely got a sense that this is a strong focus for Tring, in that they can offer a good quality academic education alongside the dance training, which is by no means the case at every school we have looked at this year. It would certainly go a long way towards solving the dilemma of dance vs academic qualifications. Staying on at academic school until 18 is not really an option for my dd as her local dance school, which has so far provided her with very good quality training, will struggle to give her the Advanced 2 classes that she will need within a term or so. Not great being in a class by yourself and she worries that she will get even further behind students already doing full time training. So fingers crossed for this audition.

Very interesting - so no point in asking what to expect from the test  :huh: . We definitely got a sense that this is a strong focus for Tring, in that they can offer a good quality academic education alongside the dance training, which is by no means the case at every school we have looked at this year. It would certainly go a long way towards solving the dilemma of dance vs academic qualifications. Staying on at academic school until 18 is not really an option for my dd as her local dance school, which has so far provided her with very good quality training, will struggle to give her the Advanced 2 classes that she will need within a term or so. Not great being in a class by yourself and she worries that she will get even further behind students already doing full time training. So fingers crossed for this audition.

I may be barking up the wrong tree completely here, but I've always wondered whether the reason that Tring is very hot on academic achievement is because it is a private school which necessarily relies on a large number of their students paying full fees.

Those students' parents are presumably in the income bracket whereby they would send their dc to a fee-paying school anyway - they might not be willing to allow their dc to do a performing arts course unless they were completely happy that their dc would be receiving a good academic education as well.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

Funny you should say that taxi4ballet, as one of my children is a music scholar at an independent school and I thought Tring had a very similar ethos.

I may be barking up the wrong tree completely here, but I've always wondered whether the reason that Tring is very hot on academic achievement is because it is a private school which necessarily relies on a large number of their students paying full fees.

Those students' parents are presumably in the income bracket whereby they would send their dc to a fee-paying school anyway - they might not be willing to allow their dc to do a performing arts course unless they were completely happy that their dc would be receiving a good academic education as well.

I would say that's a pretty fair assessment.

Actually, I was wrong! She says she did do some kind of test in a computer room but can't remember anything about it so couldn't have been bad

This made me laugh because its exactly what my dd would say.

My DD joined Tring last year and has chosen not to do academics at all.  They put no pressure at all on her.  

This has meant that, in the morning, she chooses her own dance timetable (Jazz/Street/Contemporary etc) and does classical in the afternoon.  Perfect for giving her versatility.

A post in this thread has been hidden as it contravenes the forum's Acceptable Use Policy.

Posts which respond to the hidden post and therefore now make no sense have also been hidden.

Anna C

on behalf of Balletcoforum Moderators

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm in total shock today. My dd auditioned just under two weeks ago for the 1st form dance course (plus theatre arts course). She loved the audition but listened to speech at the start about looking for long and lean (she's tiny) and said well not me they're looking for. Postman been today and she's been invited to funding audition.

• Like 13

Dd has received an offer of a day place, invitation to scholarship audition and waiting list for boarding for tring sixth form. We know of others with similar offers. Obviously circumstances for funding are different this year with no Dadas available. I wondered if anyone knows of anyone with an offer of a boarding place for sixth form with scholarship audition ? Also any information about home stays ( costings, availability) would be welcome as we live too far from the school for a day place to be an option. Many thanks in advance x

• Like 2

My DD has been offered a day place.  We were told that this was down to the fact that they have to wait until they know what the current 6th formers are planning to do.  There is actually a lot of movement as some decide that they prefer a different emphasis and so move schools.  My older DD is staying at Tring for 3rd year but has to live out so will effectively free up a boarding space.  Would be nice if my other DD could simply slot into this bed but I am sure it doesn't work like that.

I would love to know how many scholarships they have to give out just to give DD an idea of odds of her getting one.

• Like 1

Oddly Looks like some dc for sixth-form have heard results and others haven't! Really wish they would send all out together.x

I think you are right. Also do they go out by post or email?

Thanks Loulabelle. The stress of waiting is compounded by the fact that our wireless router keeps dropping out. So very glad it will be snailmail.