Tring auditions for 2017 entry

Happymum

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you would hope so wouldn't you? I don't know of numbers as I suppose it is highly variable due to a financial pot being given, that is divided on need for the chosen students. If their favourite students all needed full funding then there are less places as opposed to their favourite students only needing half funding. Not a very transparent process at all for any of the dada funded schools.

The statement on Tring's web site says that school scholarships will replace Dada awards for 2017 entrants and in line with school scholarship policy, there is no ceiling on income regarding eligibility. I wonder if there will be a similar number of places offered as there were when Dadas were available and whether places are more likely to be given to those requiring less funding? Can't help but think this could be a possible outcome of the Dada steam temporarily drying up. Would be interested to hear others' thoughts on this one.

In the 2011/12 ofsted they had a total of 39 DADA's across 3 years, so 13 apx in each year. Interesting ofsted Nov 2015 they had a total of 26 across 3 years, so 8/9 in each year. A third less in total in only 3/4 years. Very concerning that there is not more information on whether the new scholarships are means tested or same amount of places. Is there still maintainance help available too against living costs which runs alongside current Dada fees help?

X

• Like 1

There was a change in the dada process a few years ago and the difference between the 2 ofsted reports could be a reflection of that. The letter explaining the change in the funding for 2017 does say it is means tested. How much money they have available is anyone's guess, but it certainly does raise a few questions. Good that it is being opened up to a higher earnings threshold though.

So if the DaDa's usually cover pupils for Dance, Drama and Musical Theatre courses, presumably the school will have to now offer scholarships for each 6th Form course? There's surely no way the school could come close to covering the number of DaDa's that would normally be allocated.

Also, is this situation just for 2017 entry or does the school reapplying in 'the next round' mean in 3 years time I wonder?

Edited by atacrossroads

At Tring, only the dance course receive DaDa's. Any financial assistance for other courses is through school scholarship/bursary. I read the letter as saying that the situation only applies for 2017, so that in 2018 the school will be able to offer DaDa's again. I assume that those who receive financial assistance by the school in 2017 will get the same assistance for the 3 years, can't quite see how it would work otherwise.

Families with students at Tring were given this information last week. I would presume that any 6th form auditionees would be informed at their audition, but I don't believe any 6th form dance auditions have taken place yet. I'm sure that some people who are over the threshold for DaDa funding just won't apply if they know they can't afford the fees and will miss out on the opportunity of the change in funding for 2017.

• Like 1

Sorry for my previous quote but no post - the perils of looking at the forum after a lovely night out! I was going to say on Friday that we have not been informed, but today a copy of the letter on the website was emailed to us.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the first audition wasn't till Monday 5th?

Edited to add that yes, there was one on Monday 28th! I also would like to hear from anybody who was there.

It's very quite on the "auditions" side of the forum this year

Edited by Happymum

My DD was in group 1 at Tring on Monday

Mix of current yr6, yr7, yr8 girls and one boy in a group of 14 (I think)

We had a meeting with heads then tour of school.

DD said audition was ballet class, modern sequence, stretch class then solos.  This yr they went in one by one for their solos, not all together.

She had salmon for lunch (sounds good)

3 academics tests then home.

Apparently they have got the highest number of entries auditioning this year!!

HTH!

My DD was in group 1 at Tring on Monday

Mix of current yr6, yr7, yr8 girls and one boy in a group of 14 (I think)

We had a meeting with heads then tour of school.

DD said audition was ballet class, modern sequence, stretch class then solos. This yr they went in one by one for their solos, not all together.

She had salmon for lunch (sounds good)

3 academics tests then home.

Apparently they have got the highest number of entries auditioning this year!!

HTH!

Did they say how long you will need to wait for the results?

I hope that our results after 6th Dec will arrive before Christmas!