OPES Summer School or York Dance Assembly?

hoglett

We have to book holiday dates for next summer so I'm trying to pin down SS dates. I've researched on here and think I've narrowed it down to Opes or York Dance Assembly. Which would you recommend for a first time residential. ..lots of ballet but perhaps some musical theatre too. Know I'm asking a lot now but does anybody have any dates for 2017? Thanks...you're all brilliant.

• Like 1

I would guess they are usually the same week each summer - date probably changes by a couple of days each year or something. I think the user worktolive on here is on the committee for York. I'm not sure how often they come on here but you could try contacting them, or I know some of the organisers so could ask whether they have any dates yet if you wanted. My teacher does also know Peter and Shannon from Opes so could ask around and see if anyone has heard of dates yet. Opes I think usually have more than one week so maybe you don't need to worry too much if you want to go there. York only one week, though I must say it is a fantastic one!

Edited by FullContretemps

DD did York this summer and it was her first residential (she's nine), the pastoral care and accommodation were fantastic and the course itself was very varied and offered ballet, jazz, a taster session of contemporary for juniors and musical theatre!

There was swimming, face painting, t shirt decorating and movie nights too in between classes and the end of week show was superb. I thought it was excellent value of money and would highly recommend to anyone thinking of doing a first residential.

I don't know of Opes I'm afraid but heard it mentioned a lot on the forum too - very popular.

• Like 4

Oh you organised people!! I've now moved onto October half term childcare!!!

I've got to work that far in advance as i provide holiday childcare! Some parents are already wanting to book the whole of 2017 holidays! I throw enough spanners in the works with DDs dancing random days/short notice (esp for festivals) so i try to give as much notice when i can!

And lol ... you are looking ahead and being organised. I already know that one particular parent will ring me on the Monday of half term having 'forgotten' to arrange her childcare!

I am a little confused...there seem to be 2 York Summer Schools...Is YBSS a different one to the York one talked about here?

Anyone experience of both to compare? Thanks in advance.....

YBSS is highly selective and very difficult to get on to - similar standard to Royal Ballet Summer School. It is strictly classical. York Assembly is open to all, although the students are grouped by ability and the standard is still high. It is classically based, but with some contemporary, jazz and musical theatre.