People who just don't understand!

taxi4ballet

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that 9 GCSEs is enough and quality is definitely preferable to quantity. 9 A*s will trump a higher number of GCSEs at a mixture of grades and there is absolutely no point in having the 15 or 16 mentioned. They are merely a stepping stone to A levels and evidence of a good, broad-ranging education up to the age of 16. Balletbean, I wish you and your DD strength and fortitude in dealing with her teachers. Why on earth they think that geography is a must when she is doing history and RS is quite beyond me!

• Like 1

Basically only the results of a students 8 best GCSE's taken in one sitting will count towards the league tables.

Maths will be given a double weighting

So will English as long as both English & English Lit are taken

[...]

Any subjects taken early will not be counted even if that subject is re-taken in year 11.

Er, I did my Maths O-Level early.  I presume the option is still available?  How would the "not counting" sit with the double weighting?  :confused:

Good Morning, 

I would just like to say thank you to all you lovely people. I feel quite humble for the time, care and support that you have all given and taken the time out of your day to respond to my rant in a very constructive way. 

My DD had a rather tearful evening, with the prospect of having to attend a meeting with her geography teacher today, especially as she has done nothing wrong! 

My new found knowledge has increased my confidence when dealing with the school and remaining in control of my DD future rather than getting all tied up with their stats and position on any league table. 

A childs mental health and happiness should be paramount, education success should not be purely based on any league tables.

Have a good day. 

I will try and post an update when a resolution has been agreed on and that we are happy to go forward with. 

Thank you once again. :wub:

• Like 10

Good luck to you and your dd, balletbean. I understand your frustration. My grammar school headmistress told me that I shouldn't be taking up a place if "you only want to be a dancing gel!" I can still see her face and hear the disdainful way she said it. I had asked to leave school ten minutes early once a week...

• Like 1

Goodness, what an interesting bunch of experiences and perspectives. So useful to have other DD's parents to consult :)

The Progress 8 was a new one on me, I had completely not understood that properly at all. 

I'm now looking into BTEC's too.  

I think from what everyone has said the 9 GCSE's seems to be a good standard to aim for with quality not quantity.

As far as options go, I think it's going to be tricky considering that all of the arty subjects will likely be in one column so a choice between music, drama, art, PE, food & nutrition or textiles when I'm pretty sure DD will want to do more of those that the non-arty subjects. 

• Like 1

As far as options go, I think it's going to be tricky considering that all of the arty subjects will likely be in one column so a choice between music, drama, art, PE, food & nutrition or textiles when I'm pretty sure DD will want to do more of those that the non-arty subjects. 

We noticed at dd's old school that drama, dance and music were timetabled in such a way that you couldn't do all three - It is a really huge school so there could have been a lot of flexibility, but no. Very frustrating for quite a lot of people interested in triple-threat performing arts as a career. They also contrived to have the after-school dance club at the same time as choir :wacko:

• Like 3

DC's school (highly-perfoming comp, catchment includes two high quality, large non-vocational dance schools) offers Drama and Music in a couple of option blocks so that you can do both. Dance is offered as an extra-curricular GCSE outside school time.

You can't do Art, Music and Drama - that is actually the only 'non permitted' combination (presumably due to the very heavy coursework load in all 3), as you can do Drama, Music and Textiles, plus extra-curricular dance GCSE. Or Drama, PE, Dance (outside timetable) and Music.

• Like 1

It may be because the school has 5 genuine option blocks that the combinations are possible. Even if a student chose e.g. Drama, PE, Music + extra-curricular dance, they could still choose History / Geography and a choice from 3 languages in the other 2 blocks,. plus 2xSciences, 2xEnglish, Maths - a perfectly respectable, academic spread of 7 core academic, 4 more practical qualifications

Whereas in a school with only 3 proper 'options', I can imagine that they would want to avoid all of them being taken up by performing arts / sports GCSEs.

Is it Friday 13th I ask myself? 

Email from Headmaster regarding dropping an 'optional' subject in yr10. 

'You can't drop the subject and if you don't like it you can always find another school'!!

Needless to say many tears this morning with a DD not wanting to go to school.  

• Like 1

I personally would take him up on that & find another school pronto!

What an awful email

My DD was not the only one shedding a few tears I must admit. 

She has been at the same school for the past 11 years and he makes that flippant remark. Totally beyond me and obviously not looking at the welfare of my DD but more interested in his league tables. Probably because she is in the top set for everything.and would contribute favorably to those league tables.

She has about 18 months left of her compulsory education, this has left a very bad taste in my mouth. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

What a dreadful and childish response! Hope your dd keeps her head up today and rises above it.

Thank you, that true dancers instinct kicked in. Resilience. After the tears had been wiped away. 

Reminded her that she has done nothing wrong and that I was proud of her and that I would be dealing with the whole situation at the earliest opportunity. Whilst wiping away my tears! 

Where are the child rearing books for guidance when dealing with obstinate teachers and education?

• Like 2

My DD was not the only one shedding a few tears I must admit. 

She has been at the same school for the past 11 years and he makes that flippant remark. Totally beyond me and obviously not looking at the welfare of my DD but more interested in his league tables. Probably because she is in the top set for everything.and would contribute favorably to those league tables.

She has about 18 months left of her compulsory education, this has left a very bad taste in my mouth. 

I’m bewildered. How can the head possibly think she will do well in the subject she so desperately wants to ditch?? Surely the most likely outcome is that she will just ‘mark time’ in those classes, putting in minimal effort, and getting a low grade. That’s what I’d do! And then just omit that one from my CV. 

Edited to add ……..

Have you considered contacting the governors? 

Edited by BlueLou
  • Like 6

I’m bewildered. How can the head possibly think she will do well in the subject she so desperately wants to ditch?? Surely the most likely outcome is that she will just ‘mark time’ in those classes, putting in minimal effort, and getting a low grade. That’s what I’d do! And then just omit that one from my CV. 

Edited to add ……..

Have you considered contacting the governors? 

It's all happened since early this morning, I am trying to take the time to stop shaking and calm down. 

Just proves that bullying comes in many forms and at all levels. 

Thank you for your support. Governors did spring to mind.  

• Like 3

That's an awful e-mail. My son had a head a bit like that at his first primary school. He was incredibly defensive and would not discuss anything in a professional manner but just started attacking us, the parents. However, and I say this supportively, you do need to calm down and not start firing off angry e-mails as this will just inflame the situation. E-mails are a wonderful tool but it's very easy to send a message which you later regret because you are angry or upset at the time that you compose it. I don't know what the legal position is regarding schools being able to insist on a pupil taking a certain number of subjects but it shouldn't come to this if the school has the pupil's best interests at heart and the parent(s) make a compelling case for the child dropping an option / taking fewer options. It's easy to say: move schools, but is this realistic or desirable given that your daughter is now in year 10? It may take her a while to settle in and this may have a negative impact on her academically and emotionally. You need to keep a cool head now so that you don't inflame the situation and back yourself into a corner. The e-mail was unprofessional but grit your teeth and try to rise above it and see whether you can resolve this situation to your daughter's satisfaction. That's not to say that you should not research alternative schools but don't burn your bridges so that you have to remove her, possibly to an even less satisfactory situation.

Perhaps some teachers on this site could contribute to this particular discussion.

• Like 10

I would take a screenshot of that email and contact the Governors.

Edited to add: aileen and I were posting simultaneously and she gives excellent advice. Draft an email, then revisit it later. Perhaps a few well-chosen phrases such as "I have brought my children up to understand that bullying and passive aggressive behaviour is unconstructive, so am disappointed that the Headteacher feels the need to resort to such unprofessional communication."

• Like 7

I would take a screenshot of that email and contact the Governors.

Edited to add: aileen and I were posting simultaneously and she gives excellent advice. Draft an email, then revisit it later. Perhaps a few well-chosen phrases such as "I have brought my children up to understand that bullying and passive aggressive behaviour is unconstructive, so am disappointed that the Headteacher feels the need to resort to such unprofessional communication."

I agree that you should keep copies of all the communications you've had - maybe print them all off and keep safe, or store them all together on your computer. Then you will be able to refer to it all, to prove that you are being reasonable in your requests, but are being met with obstruction from the school, which could negatively affect your dd's career aspirations. I am truly livid on your behalf.

• Like 4

Thank you one and all.

I have refrained from engaging in any further emails at this time. I am aware of how angry and upset I am at this time and may well say something that I might regret at a later date. 

Now trying to book an appointment with Head of Curriculum today as I know (fortunately) that the Head is not in school. 

• Like 5

The issue might be supervision during that option block time. It's not always acceptable for children under 6th form age to have unsupervised. Some schools with a library & full time librarian it might not be an issue. Others it would be.

Very likely. The subject that the OP's dd wants to drop may well be described as 'optional' but that likely means that its one of a number in a single option block. The school may have a policy of not allowing pupils to switch between options after a certain time point. That said, the e-mail response that was sent was most unhelpful and unprofessional . Responding to e-mails like that (and its very tempting) generally just makes things worse. It probably is the last thing that you feel like doing right now, but I would request an early opportunity to go into school and talk to said headteacher, your daughters head of year etc. Take a another family member or a good friend with you for moral support if you need it. In general though its much harder to be rude and obstructive to someone face to face and in the presence of others. Calmly state your pov and ask what the options are. If you still don't get anywhere, at that point I would go to the governing body. But I do think you need the conversation with school first.

Thanks mnemo, 

The staff members (pastoral and academic) are all out of school today. Probably a good idea as I'm quite emotional and the meeting would not be pretty. On my part. 

No child should be subjected to this kind of stress. Totally unnecessary to witness adults being bullied through the use of passive/aggressive behaviour. What are we teaching them?. We are here to protect the younger generation and make the world appear a nice safe place. School being one of those safe places. 

Their words remove the feeling that each child is being valued and their welfare (incl mental health) and their future is paramount before any such league tables.  :(

• Like 2

I am shocked balletbean. Not by the decision,though I do think that is unreasonable,but by the mode of delivery. I am horrified that any professional would communicate in such a manner and I am left wondering exactly who the child is here.

If the head has reasonable and rational grounds for his decision, such as the potential supervision issues as mentioned above, then why not explain those? There might be a way round those objections or there might not, but at least everyone would understand the others' positions. I'm sure your DD would be able to accept the decision and apply herself to her studies more willingly if she felt her viewpoint had been listened to and respected, even if the outcome wasn't what she wanted. But this kind of response is completely unacceptable to my mind and it's hardly likely to inspire your DD to give her best at school is it?

I would give some serious consideration to making a formal complaint if I were in your position. Hope you and your DD are coping OK and have a nice weekend.

• Like 4