Dane Hurst and Company: Exodus at Dulwich Picture Gallery, London

I saw this last night. It's not like anything that I've seen before. Bruce Marriott gives a good account of it in the DanceTabs review which appears in today's Links. It's quite a big production with 16 dancers including Dane and a percussionist who performs part of the score. He makes the most of the long central gallery. It was amazing to be so close to the dancers. There's a certain amount of audience 'participation' ie giving the audience members bundles of clothes to hold, touching and dancing with certain audience members. It was great to see Dane again. He danced a couple of duets and, luckily for me, I was standing right by him for these. An interesting evening inspired by Winifred Knight's painting The Deluge.

I'm glad attention has been drawn to Dane's show and if you have not seen it do try and get today or tomorrow. I don't often rave, but as Aileen says this is a very unusual show and worth going out of your way to Dulwich to see. It's the closest you will ever come to seeing dancers do their thing and it's just glorious to behold. Don't be put off by mention of audience participation - its not embarrassing or onerous and just increases the feeling that we are all mixed up and in the space together. Go - it's magical.

My review (with lots of pics):

also an interview with Dane about the show:

Dulwich Picture Gallery page:

Agree about the audience participation. However, holding one of the drawing boards (you are invited to draw during the performance) may make you less likely to be chosen. The 'dancing' which I referred to (I was one of the ones selected) was a couple of minutes moving slowly in a sort of very, very basic waltz (so nothing scary).