What would you do ?

Ellie

Putting aside financial need and perceived or real intellectual/physical capacity, what area would you ideally like to work in ? ( This is the Not Dance forum remember !) Would it be an astronaut /a fisherman/paleontologist/doctor/carpenter /chef? I think that I'd quite like to be an historian or a gardener at a beautiful stately home. I'm also interested in psychology, but I'm a rather sensitive soul....so not sure that would work out too well. x

• Like 4

If I didn't need to support my family I'd rather be a photographer (wildlife, travel, and dare I say dance).   I utterly, utterly, utterly loathe what I do for a living, so I frequently take flights of fantasy that also see me as an archaeologist, palaeontologist, marine biologist etc !

• Like 4

When I started high school, my parents filled in a form with a section "What career would you like your child to follow?" I've always wanted to follow the career Dad wrote in the box - millionaire.

I've been stuck in IT for 35 years; when were started, we weren't in "IT" - it was "EDP" or "Computing". I did try to get out once but I failed dismally. Given my time again, I'd probably train as an engineer.

• Like 6

I think I would like to be a casting director for a major opera company.  The trouble is that entry-level jobs in that sort of field are not only ridiculously competitive, but tend to pay less than half what I currently make, and I do need to keep a roof over my head.  I do frequently get told by opera singers that I should be working in casting... but I also frequently get told by opera singers that I should be an agent, and I'm pretty sure I DON'T want to do that.

It's not a thwarted dream - I don't sit at my desk in my current job thinking "if only my day job was in the arts".  I'm pretty happy with my current career, and the associated relative job security.  I also think my work-life balance is quite decent, and I have a sideline in freelance choral singing, which is definitely a vocation but I don't know anyone who makes their whole living out of it.

• Like 5

Costuming. Wouldn't have to be for the ballet, but my second love in life is making clothes and costumes. I have a spinal impairment which means it would be pretty impossible for me to sew full-time for a living, but I still love doing it as a hobby.

• Like 5

I do love my job, but i have a secret hankering to work at the local theme park and zoo!

Either with the animals ( I'm tempted by education dept, but they have to deal with spiders/snakes/bugs etc to share with visitors and that is the only group of animals that i WOULDN'T (COULDN'T ) work with !! ) or even manning rides etc. I am a frequent visitor and everyone genuinely seems to enjoy working there.

• Like 1

My 9 week old kitten, Pumpkin, has just been watching the panda video. Think she was wondering what the noise was, and then she was transfixed to the video. I'm starting her early on You Tube videos; mainly other animals.[ Blackie likes watching the Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy, so I need to introduce it to the other two as well.]

• Like 2

Chocolate truffle quality controller

Something in a Manhattan style loft office where I trot in around about midday with a massive mocha, browse social media and bitch whilst eating Camembert and rebuff advances of mad men style boss.

Essentially getting paid to be snooty? Sommelier, bridal shop, local branch of Sweaty Betty....

Private detective. Noir. Me: hair like Lauren Bacall, perching to take notes in pencil skirt, arching eyebrows a lot OR biographer to some crazy explorer/inventor

Golf caddy but just driving the golf buggy around (fun) not lugging stuff.

Seriously: commissioning editor for a publishing house.

• Like 6

commissioning editor for a publishing house. 

I had to google this - I thought that it would maybe involve just reading lots of books, which would suit me fine, but reading into it (briefly) I think I'd be a bit overwhelmed :) Although being a fan of your posts I completely understand why it would be an ideal job for you !

I have a friend who is a high end wedding planner. At first I thought that this would be a job I'd enjoy (organising lovely parties and helping excited brides choose their perfect designer gown) but then I saw her, late one Saturday afternoon still looking rather beautiful and naturally chic, but completely frazzled and stressed after spending days ferrying around a nervous (read neurotic) bride to be and her mother and mother in law in the quest to find the perfect dress...Needless to say that she has an extremely high level of diplomacy and endless patience.

Otter Fluffer still gets my vote - although I'm remembering a video one of my children showed me about looking after baby sloths, which also seems quite appealing :) x

• Like 2

Opera director.  Many years ago there was a TV drama about an unemployed man whose catchphrase was 'Giv us a job', I could do that'.  It springs to mind every time I watch a toe curlingly awful production and the I know I couldn't do worse than what I'm watching on stage.

• Like 4

Otter fluffer or dog handler at Crufts? I'd like a dog with a nice long coat - Afghan Hound - take it for a lap, get a nice swishy pace up, lots of tweaking and re-positioning of it.. then graciously accept Best In Show (little curtsy).

Oh no...Crufts is more cut throat than dance festivals, isn't it ? Personally I'd always go for a bit of go with the flow non- confrontational peace and quiet :) x

I'd quite like to be a genealogical researcher, or fiddle with plants in the Kew greenhouses, or possibly even someone who buys up duff badly-run businesses and sorts them out properly, gets them running again and then sets up an employee shareholder scheme.

There are too many property developers who buy up knackered old houses with beautiful, big mature gardens. They knock the old house down and build half a dozen large executive homes on titchy plots in its place, destroying the garden, orchards and ancient barns in the process. I'd like to be the planning officer who stops them.

The last one would obviously hinge on becoming a multi-multi-millionaire first, so it probably won't ever happen!

• Like 7

Oh no...Crufts is more cut throat than dance festivals, isn't it ? Personally I'd always go for a bit of go with the flow non- confrontational peace and quiet :) x

I've had children do dance festivals and I also show my dogs - I'm obviously a glutton for punishment. Lots of similarities - judges/adjudicators, catalogues/programmes, strange haircuts/costumes (fortunately my dogs don't require much preening),favouritism, expense, no financial gain........

Loved both but think I prefer dog showing :-)

• Like 5

Something that combines nature and art e.g., organising holidays that combine walking and ballet performances/ art exhibitions. In France preferably.

Well, I certainly wasn't trying to intervene there. Apologies if this looked as if.