Application and Audition process

balletbean

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Photo shoots seem to involve a whole heap of counselling!

Oh My Goodness, you are talking my kind of language. 

From Health and Safety, Criminal Records Check, Wardrobe crisis, Studio space/time, teenager happy with the images taken, Techie issues with the laptop and then 10MB! What does that mean in English? The actual audition sounds like a breeze.  :D

• Like 5

I think I need a spreadsheet before this time next year! Photos, deadlines, accommodation, fees, entry requirements, course specifics, qualifications, travel time, employability …………….. It would be so much easier if dd wanted to do a degree in Maths like her sister!

• Like 3

One Ballet picture on the other hand

My face is ugly

My thighs are fat

Why aren't my feet banana like ?

I need swayback legs to ever look like a ballerina

Can't you make me look taller?

This is pointless I'm never going to get in

Teenagers are mentally draining!

• Like 9

Bluebird22, I appear to have escaped all of those mentioned. However, I did have the teenager editing photos because "aircon unit was seen in photos" "fire exit sign" you name it she was more wound up with that element of the photos!

Teenagers are definitely mentally draining unfortunately they don't stop there!  

As a mother of another DD (21 year old)  the goal posts just move but the stress is still there. 

But we love them all dearly.   :wub:   What did we all do BC (before children)?!

• Like 1

PS   What does 10MB mean in photo terms? 

How big should the image be to conform with this requirement? Thanks 

It depends how much detail is in the photo, resolution of the camera etc….. If you upload to your computer, click on the photo, then go to ‘file’ in the top menu bar, then ‘get info’, it will tell you the size (in MB) of the photo, typically 4-5MB. You can crop photos to reduce the size, the computer equivalent of scissors to remove excess background!

• Like 1

That's very helpful. 

I'm struggling at the moment as the memory card from the camera has automatically uploaded the images in to PHOTOS but not accessible in PICTURES so I can't email them anywhere! 

It's not even an expensive all singing or dancing (excuse the pun) laptop. 

Can't seem to transfer images from Photos to Picture file!  Modern technology fails me completely Grrrrrrr

Unfortunately not taxi4ballet.  I popped the sdcard into the laptop. This automatically uploaded images onto desktop icon of "photos".  The "photos" won't allow me to attach on an email. So I've tried to transfer the file that I created in Photos to Pictures. Pictures can then be attached to an email. But this is where I have failed.  Empty household so no teenage geeks present.  #toooldforallthis 

Beginning to lose the will....................................

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

If I remember, isn't it more the case that photos *shouldn't* be more than 10 MB? If they are saved as .jpg they should be quite a bit smaller than 10mb so there shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I've lost the will.........................

Will review the situation tomorrow, gosh I'm just too old for this life.

We had dd's photos done and emailed to me. I found a print your own photo booth in my local Morrisons (and a very helpful young woman who was happy to help.) It was possible to plug phone in to cable provided on the booth or use a USB port if the photos were saved to a memory stick. Good luck!

I am now wishing I had not wiped the dust off the old camera and just take the snaps on the iPhone. So complicated now. Laptops and me do not make a great Pas De Deux!!!! Lol

Ps. Thinking of handing over to IT tutor at DD school to wave his magic wand.

Thank you.

Just trying to destress the situation.

I have heard from an artistic directors mouth, that the photos are just an aide memoire for the auditions. so don't get too stressed out with perfection or costly portfolios.

Everyone gets an initial audition anyway and that is what is important.

(Graduation portfolio photos are another matter!)

As for our photos the past, All have been done on a phone. For lower school, we bought a 'doing ballet' book and tried to make sure he looked as much like the relevant photos as possible. :)

It seemed to work.

• Like 5

Just trying to destress the situation.

I have heard from an artistic directors mouth, that the photos are just an aide memoire for the auditions. so don't get too stressed out with perfection or costly portfolios.

Everyone gets an initial audition anyway and that is what is important.

Good to know that is the case for US applications :) However, some summer schools (RB, YBSS, ENBS) selection is based solely on photos :(

Edited by BlueLou
  • Like 1

I do wish I had used my ipad and not my camera. It's large and technical but too complicated!!  Pleased with the images though and so is the teenage DD. So not all too bad.   ;)

Edited to add:

Alleluia: My Hero (12yr old son) has sorted it all out. Paid handsomely ££ as a reward.   One happy mumma    :wub:

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Ballet West application form available on their website today.

Spotted late last night that Central form also now available. Glasgow audition scheduled for Sunday 23rd October, with a deadline of Monday 17th (I.E. Next Monday!!) for submission of completed forms - guess what we're doing tonight!! Payment submitted at 7am this morning as I believe it's on a first come first served basis for a place.

This all feels very real and way too scary all of a sudden. Yikes!!

Keep your fingers (toes and eyes) crossed for DD please.

• Like 5

If you have Photoshop you can reduce the original size of the cropped image by clicking on 'image' in the top bar, then 'resize', then 'resize image'. It will bring up a window with the megapixels in the top rectangle (with the MB size above it). Try halving the image size until your image is less than 1MB (ideally between 500kb and 900kb). Then save the image.

I take a lot of photos for applicants in my studio and the most awkward site seems to be Laines. The photos must be resized or you keep getting 'error'. Anyone using a professional photographer should ask them to provide them with a high res image of each shot and also an image suitable for upload which is resized to around 800kb.

• Like 2