ENB Akram Khan Giselle casting

I see its Madison Keesler for the October 27th Southampton matinee.....yippee ...I saw her in rehearsal and loved her so really happy about that.

Now come on Southern trains ...no strikes that week please!!

The thing is it's not actually that bad for people who have access to Brighton Station but many stations to the east and west of Brighton are badly affected by these disruptions.

And rather as I feared, my gamble on picking two performances has resulted in two by the same cast... still, at least it's Tamara...

(Though, actually, with the way my diary has filled up in the meantime, there also aren't any of the London performances I'm now free for which AREN'T Tamara.  I could literally go to all of hers and none of anyone else's. So it's a moot point I suppose... I suspect I may end up only going once, though!)

Edited by RuthE

I have Fernanda and Fernando, which would not have been my top pick, as when I saw all the Giselles rehearsing simultaneously in the studio, she seemed less engaged than the other principals.  However I almost missed out completely, so am grateful to be seeing it at all.  Wish they'd named the Myrthes as well; fingers crossed for Bella Brouwers in that role.

• Like 1

Must say - and indeed I'm sure I already have said, on another thread, in passing - I was really hoping that Shiori Kase would be cast.  Though I'll settle for her being cast in the Skeaping production after Christmas (pretty please!)

But as far as I know there aren't any tickets left for the London show....it's sold out completely was what I read and this over a week ago...hence why I'm having to go to Southampton.

some came up yesterday Lin... but went very quickly

• Like 1

But as far as I know there aren't any tickets left for the London show....it's sold out completely was what I read and this over a week ago...hence why I'm having to go to Southampton.

That's what I meant, Lin.  Or maybe Bristol.  Shame Cojocaru isn't on in the same evening.

Does anyone know the running time?  I suppose I could get home from Soton if I can make the 10 pm train, although after my last nightmare experience I'm not sure I want to risk it again.

Tickets will almost certainly appear close to the performances and perhaps even on the day of the performances themselves. I suspect, from the seats which become available (ie good stalls and first/dress circle seats) that tickets are held back for major donors, VIPs etc and are put on sale if they are not taken up. Ticket agencies also return unsold tickets shortly before the performance. So keep checking the Wells website. Something will probably come up.

I've probably panicked when I saw SW sold out for all performances.

I was so excited by the rehearsal I thought I cant miss this so when saw Southampton had some tickets just when for it

It will be great to see a new theatre The Mayflower but I am worried about travel as Southampton trains are always badly affected when there is a strike on whereas you can always get up to London via Thameslink .....they are taking drivers off some east west southern routes to support the London one.

I think I might by a coach ticket as well for at least the outward journey just in case train gets cancelled at last minute!!

OR do I look for a return SW ticket for the Saturday nearer the event OR is this overkill!!!

My previous comment Alison was meant for Sim who says she was going to have to,get a ticket to see Madison when I thought there weren't any.

I think a lot will depend on what happens up in Manchester. If it starts to get rave reviews am not sure there will be many spare ticks at SW for London dates.....on the other hand if not....then maybe more will start becoming available.

It would normally be about 2hours.

However already on this day there is part train part bus (from Fratton to Southampton) so is taking three hours!

The coach takes three hours going out in the morning but FIVE hours coming back.....cannot think why on earth the return takes SO LONG....ridiculous.

The train is just three hours each way! Any hint of strike and I'm pretty sure will get cancelled though.

Sorry folks about my travel plans for Giselle!

Things we do for ballet honestly.

I could rue my words but I do think this is going to be ballet event of year ....in UK anyway!!

The last time I felt like this was to see Osipova and Vasiliev in Don Q at the Coli.

I booked for the London matinee because it was the only performance left, but I'm very happy to see Madison, I think she's wonderful. It would have been nice to see Alina though! I might try and grab a ticket for one of her shows in Southampton if there are any left.

• Like 1

There are a couple of young dancers at ENB who I'm getting quite keen on ....Madison is one of them she has such an expressive face. I think she is perfect for this role ....not too sophisticated or knowing .....even if this Giselle is not quite as innocent as in original ballet.

• Like 1

Well at the rehearsal I did do an inward sigh when he said it was being set in a migrant camp but the main themes of the original Giselle Love Betrayal and Revenge and Forgivenes ..particularly the latter ..are all there.

It remains to be seen whether juxtaposing the earthy grittiness and grim reality of a Migrant camp....though I get the feeling he will be focussing on the hopefulness side.....against the more spiritual idea of other worldly beings (forces?) influencing the outcome of the living will be a step too far.

If you ARE going to do a reworking of Giselle you might as well do something completely different or just leave well alone.

• Like 3

Well the factory setting bit is based on the catastrophic collapse of the factory in Bangladesh....must be a couple of years ago now where many workers were killed their safety overlooked by the unscrupulous profit makers/ owners.

I think my concern is that Giselle is a "romantic" ballet as far as I understand it so the idea of the spirits of jilted and betrayed girls in love coming back to exact revenge sort of fits.

I'm not sure now here we are in the 21st Century whether the spirits of dead factory workers coming to exact their revenge sits that well

However I think one has to reserve judgement (obviously) until one has seen it.

There may be something in its overall effect which entirely rings true.

From the rehearsals it definitely seemed to promise to.

• Like 4

This is probably due a proper thread in the performances section soon, but to continue here for now...  ENB had a social media event whereby they invited half a dozen 'mega instagrammers', i.e. people with say a hundred thousand followers, to come and photograph a Giselle rehearsal session. The pics are up in the usual places, Facebook, the ENB web page and of course n the instagrammers' pages.  I have to say that while it was a good idea in theory, I am pretty underwhelmed by the resulting pictures.  I can see no difference between the output of these megagrammers and that of any random teen girl with a phone plucked off the street.  No real insight or originality.  The more interesting pictures have been coming from the many dancers who are also competent with a camera e.g. Liotardo, as they also have an understanding of what is going on and a personal connection to the dancers.

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 3