Tring

Lildancer96

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck Little Ballerina! My second DD was there last week auditioning for their Performance Foundation course. it was very straightforward, the building is great and everybody is very nice there. Just enjoy it and have fun!

• Like 1

Tring has the most beautiful premises, particularly with the new dance studios. Mansion House can be a little chilly at times from what I remember so wrap up warm in this weather! We were supposed to be there for the Contemporary day of dance today but they very sensibly postponed it. Enjoy the day and good luck! :-)

Sorry to hear your news DamhsaMom but pleased to hear that your DS is handling it in such a mature way. It sounds like being in Ireland makes things more difficult for him, but don't give up hope. He is doing very well to have reached that standard in only 2 years. If he keeps working hard with his local teacher I'm sure other opportunities will come up. How old is he now? There are lots of schools that you can apply for at 16 or even 18 that have more of a focus on contemporary or jazz which if I recall rightly you said he was more interested in than classical ballet? Have you thought about a Summer school for him this year at all? And the RAD do "Boys Only" weekends that might boost his confidence a lot too. I appreciate it will be expensive for you to come over for courses though - maybe you could combine a course with a family holiday as there are some of them that are in very nice places. Your son sounds like a very determined and talented young man and I'm sure other opportunities will come his way in due course.

We are going to look into a few more options because he is 15 now and preparing for his intermediate exam and doing his GCSE equivalent in June. My requirement that he his academics don't take a back seat hampers his choices somewhat but I am hopeful that something will work out for him. Do the RAD boys only weekends involve a lengthy application process?

Thank you all that wished me luck - think I may have recieved it in the process, as had an excellent day. Defintely up there in my favourite schools alongside Elmhurst and Central. Did, however, manage to fall right on my bum during my solo, on the lovely floor, making a terrible clatter. Oh well, what can you do?

I had a really lovely day, and could not promote the school more - a truly enchanting place to train.

LB x

• Like 1

My DD was there Monday too - in the snow - for the afternoon audition. One of her favourite schools too.

Poster asking about RAD boys only weekends - no its not a lengthy application process. Look on the RAD website for future dates - I know they usually do one In Birmingham in October. Its simply a case of fill in an application form and at the closing date they send out confirmation of places. I know the Midlands contact for RAD is very approachable and if you phone is likely to tell you in advance of that date if you need to book flights/ferries etc.

• Like 1

Miracle, as far as I am aware, none of the schools have a set quota for finals; they invite everyone that they feel may be suitable and it is only when they come to offer actual places that they can only accommodate a certain number, either due to space or available funding.

It is usually about 50 ish who are invited back for about a total of 5 places for the whole lower school ( ie not 5 per year) so the odds are never great! Last year about 52 were invited back but only 34 or so attended the final audition, presumably as they had already accepted places elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to tring who have just got ofsted outstanding for their 3 year dance course . The report gives some interesting facts about the amount of funding there but I am confused as it says they have both dada and mds places in 6 th form - is that right? I thought it was only dada . Lil

Schools can offer the MDS funding to any student they want to. At Elmhurst there have been very rare occasions where MDS was offered to 6th form students. Though I believe they were already students at the lower school.

Edited by KathyG

Miracle, there were 14 of them yesterday. Some of them were auditioning for drama and some for the Junior Dance.

DD was auditioning for year 8 and 9. She felt it went well but as she pointed out, she also thought that WL went well and she didn't get to finals!

We'll see, thank you for asking...

• Like 3

Jellybeans, we live in France at the moment and here you can accelerate your schooling i.e. jump a level which she has but, in the British system you generally don't. So Tring was willing to see if she could be in year 9, which is her level in France, and if not she'd have to go back to her British level... WL offered the same so she also auditioned for 2 years there...

• Like 1