Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater: Mixed bills, London and on tour, September & October 2016

A mixed programme from ArtisticDirector Robert Battle at Sadlers Wells - today's call was for Exodus and Awakening, with Four Corners and Open Door to come tomorrow. Highly energetic performance by the company. On until 17th September and the going on tour around the country until 19th October.

Alvin+Ailey+American+Dance+Theater+-+SWT

The company in Exodus

Alvin+Ailey+American+Dance+Theater+-+SWT

The company in Awakening

More pictures on www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk

• Like 3

Foteini Christofilopoulou was also at the dress rehearsal - here are some more photos:

29484990856_703d2e66f3_z.jpg
Exodus: Jamar Roberts, Hope Boykin
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

29229411320_86f7b43d91_z.jpg
Awakening: Jamar Roberts
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater: Exodus & Awakening
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 3

There was a second rehearsal photo call Wednesday, for the other two UK premieres (both by choreographer Ronald K Brown), namely 'Four Corners' and 'Open Door'. Here are some photos:

28908120793_5c25de2461_z.jpg
Four Corners: Jamar Roberts
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

29240925120_ccdf51263f_z.jpg
Four Corners: Vernard J Gilmore

29450070061_de3b4616dc_z.jpg
Open Door: Jacqulin Harris, Samantha Figgins, Sarah Daley, Fana Tesfagioris, Jacqueline Green

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater - Four Corners & Open Door
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 2

I saw programme B last night.

Open Door (Ronald K Brown), whilst pleasant enough, outstayed its welcome after a while. It didn't seem to offer much beyond lots of dancers dancing as individuals and occasionally in couples to some jolly 'Latin' music.

I much preferred Piazzolla Caldera (Paul Taylor). There was more variety in mood (lovely score) and choreography with a complex and interesting structure and some beautiful partner work.

I was interested to see how well Revelations was received by what I assume was a largely atheist audience. Spirituals and gospel music are not nearly as familiar to British audiences as they are to audiences in the US where this type of music is an integral part of the culture. The work was in fact very well received. The highlights for me were the opening, Fix Me Jesus and Sinner Man.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went to the performance at The Lowry last night and enjoyed it tremendously.

The evening opened with Lift.  I liked the "tribal"-looking choreography and the changing rhythms of the score and movement.  My friend and I both wondered if this abstract piece had an underlying theme about slavery because both the men and women wore neck rings.

This was followed by the highly energetic Four Corners.

The final section of the evening was the beautiful and moving solo Cry followed by the very uplifting Revelations performed with verve and style.  What a spirit-uplifting way to end the evening!

As ever with the Ailey company it was a joy to watch the wonderful dancers.

(I must admit I was a bit cross when I realised they had performed After the Rain in Bradford ... so I still haven't seen this piece live after missing it at ROH earlier in the year due to a disastrous train journey!).

• Like 1