Ten Years of Training - a Summary

meadowblythe

Thanks for sharing MB. I love to hear the more 'unusual' routes to success, as it just proves there is more than one road that leads to Rome. As you know, I have been aware of your sons journey since your daughter and my ds shared the stage together in their local dance school show. Many congratulations to him for his perseverance and determination and the very best of luck for the future.

• Like 1

As I've frequently said over the years, when asked about advice for getting into my own profession, sometimes you can't actually take the obvious, direct route, but have to take a more roundabout path to get where you want to be.  It sounds as though that's what your ds has done, and congratulations to him!

• Like 3

Thank you so much to all who replied - yes, he did perform Bronze Idol as his solo.

I would like to stress that he has had more downs than ups. I also wanted to respond to the thread regarding "good dancers" being priced out of a career - I think Julie W and I would both now be able to testify there is more than one route to a career, and neither of our sons did vast numbers of summer schools.  We will always be grateful to her son for his excellent advice and support during the year 7 wobbles.

Also I wanted to highlight that not every dancer wants to join a British Company immediately.  My son made a conscious decision to chose a position in a foreign based company,and to live abroad.  I don't want to re-open that particular can of worms, but it is a wonderful opportunity to experience a different culture.

Meadowblythe

• Like 7

I don't know whether comparisons with elite athletes are productive but there are certainly Olympic medallists who have had to contend with many years of disappointment before they achieve success. Kelly Holmes particularly comes to mind; she won her two gold medals when she was in her thirties. Not everyone achieves success in their teens or early twenties. I know that there are many other competitions between the Olympics Games but it's the Olympics that everyone takes notice of and they only come along every four years. If you have to miss one Games because of injury or a bad patch which means that you don't qualify you have to wait eight years for another try.

Great to hear such an inspiring story that shows other dancers that the road may not always be smooth.  Congratulations to your DS and I wish him all the best in his career.  It is very true that you should never compete with anyone but yourself.  Everyone's story is meant to be different.

My son only grew when he didn't dance ... never in term time, always in the holidays after summer school. He actually used to schedule growing time in for the last couple of years.

I think boys do continue growing much later, apparently this can cause problems when they audition at one height and arrive 3 months later at another!

• Like 2

MB, I think that you were the one who was worried about your son's height and posted something to that effect two or three years ago. Several of us assured you that he would grow and indeed he did. Boys can have their growth spurts very late. My son's friend did not have his until he was over 16 but he is now over six feet tall.