IB Stage Gala Live Feed

From Barcelona Sat 27th August at 7.00pm BST:

The line-up includes Klimentova, Muntagirov, Cuthbertson, Salenko, Lezhnina, Parish, Skorik, Kim, McRae, Kochetkova, Simkin.

Of course Capybara thank you for bringing this to the fore. I think I would like to watch it.

The full program actually gives a greater insight into the gala, and actually how some of the 'usual faces' will be partnered together.

I cannot imagine that 'Dying Swan' plays to the virtuosity of Salenko, and will be interested to see how she does it. Steve McRae performing 'Something Different' a tap solo of his own choreography is also another departure that will be interesting if he is Fred Astaire or circus show.

Interestingly the ADs Elias Garcia & Xiomara Reyes have given the Tchaikovsky Pdd to pairing Cuthbertson & Muntagirov rather than Salenko/McRae. Also it seems that Garcia/Reyes have adapted their own Pacquita Finale for the company which will be interesting to see how they can show off the best of the company after an 'all-star' gala. 

I also think the Kitri performance by Melnik (not mentioned above) is a great opportunity for her with Simkin.

As an aside, there have been lots of very interesting live feeds or videos being introduced here on Balletcoforum as a one liners, straight from the promoter without much introduction or giving much to debate or to discuss about the programme. I feel personally, that it is great to hear about events that I would probably miss without them being posted on this forum (so, thank you very much!), but ..... I would very much appreciate if a little more time or introduction was given along with the link to get a full picture and to pique interest and insight fully.

I watch a lot of galas in Europe, and although as Dave says 'usual suspects' there is certainly a lot more than the names behind this gala with the ADs / programming.

http://www.liceubarcelona.cat/en/15-16-season/external-shows/ibstage-galas-de-danza/artistic-profile.html

Defillé

Choreography: Elias Garcia

Music: Anatole Liadov

Performed by: IPerformed by: IBStage Soloists and Corps du Ballet

Giselle (Pas de Deux)

Choreography: Jules Perrot, Jean Coralli

Music: Adolphe Adam

Performed by: Ada Gonzalez and Xander Parish

Mashkovsky Waltz (Pas de Deux)

Choreography: Vasilij Vainonen

Music: Maurice Moszkowski

Performed by: Daria Klimentova and Vadim Muntagirov

Dying Swan (Solo)

Choreography: Mikhail Fokine

Music: Camille Saint-Saëns

Performed by: Iana Salenko

Something Different (Solo Tap)

Choreography: Steven McRae

Music: Tap Música

Performed by: Steven McRae

Black Cake (Pas de Deux)

Choreography: Hans Van Manen

Music: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Performed by: Larisa Lezhnina and Juanjo Arques

Swan Lake "Black Swan" (Pas de Deux)

Choreography: Marius Petipa/Lev Ivanov

Performed by: Iana Salenko and Steven McRae

Sleeping Beauty (Pas de Deux)

Choreography: Marius Petipa

Performed by: Lauren Cuthbertson and Xander Parish

Don Quixote (Pas de Deux)

Music: Ludwig Minkus

Performed by: Tatiana Melnik and Daniil Simkin

Intermission 25 minutes

SECOND PART

Estimated Run Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes

Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux

Choreography: George Balanchine

Performed by: Lauren Cuthbertson and Vadim Muntagirov

Le Corsaire (Pas de Deux)

Music: Ludwig Minkus, Adolphe Adam

Performed by: Oksana Skorik and Andrey Ermakov

Paquita (Suite)

Adaptació i Posada en Escena: Elias Garcia, Xiomara Reyes, Rinat Imaev

Music: Edouard Deldevez and Ludwig Minkus

Performed by: Soloists and Corps du Ballet of IBStage

Edited by SwissBalletFan

He may be lucky to dance anything after tweeting that his luggage hadn't turned up

Do dancers really 'check-in' their dancing things? I saw a ballerina at the airport once, Tutu over the shoulder, pointe shoes, crown, make-up in bag. 'I have everything I need for the performance except hairspray' she said.....'do you know where a pharmacy is here :)

• Like 2

Am I alone but does anyone think the Paquita at the end was less than a great finale. Perhaps I am being unkind but some of the Corps pieces were very poorly danced. I have never heard of this company so maybe I was expecting too much. What does anyone else think. No offence meant.

Am I alone but does anyone think the Paquita at the end was less than a great finale. Perhaps I am being unkind but some of the Corps pieces were very poorly danced. I have never heard of this company so maybe I was expecting too much. What does anyone else think. No offence meant.

It is an end of summer school performance by the students of IBStage.

They also did a defile at the start of the programme.

It is an end of summer school performance by the students of IBStage.

They also did a defile at the start of the programme.

I saw that as well. Are they recognised as a top school, equivalent to the RBS?

Edited by SPD444

IIRC, Xiomara Reyes told the interviewer the students had learned the choreography in two weeks which I think is quite a success. Apart from that, I felt it was much too long but quite cleverly thought out.

But I'm sorry to say, on the whole the gala seemed quite cobbled together and the pairings (is that the correct expression here?) in most of the PDDs didn’t convince me. Truism: two great dancers put  together does not make a convincing duet - even if the programme is limited to the reliably big hits.

I have posted a request on the IBStage comments page asking for them to put up the Tchai Pas on youtube. I think that they've said they will but, if anyone else feels inclined to make the same plea, it could be very helpful.

Today, the interval included some interviews with Lauren, Daria, Vadim and Xander among others.

• Like 1

Was an interesting performance, lovely to see lots of dancers from around the world dance some beautiful repertoire.

Paquita was quite brave for a summer school, especially being so technically demanding. It was also quite long, maybe they could have danced this with the professionals, but then good to give them the opportunity. 

Edited by lollylamb1