Pulled Muscle and Burning Sensations in Foot Arch

gingerlime

For a year or so now i have had more than occasional pulled muscle and burning sensation in my left foot arch, presumably caused by dance (because it's the inly exercise I do) but not frequently occuring during dance. After reading online, the only thing that has come up is to do with having flat feet, which I definitely don't have! Just wonder if anyone has experience with this? (Disclaimer: I understand advice given is not a replacement for medical expertise)

Edited by slightlyswayedback

Hello. Just so readers might be able to help you a bit more, do you mean the arch on the top of your foot or the arch underneath your foot? [Oh and welcome to the Forum if I haven't welcomed you previously].

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 1

Hello slightlyswayedback,

Probably a silly question, but have you seen a physio or podiatrist about this? If the NHS referral wait time is too lengthy, some chiropodists are also podiatrists and you should be able to get a reasonably quick appointment with one. They cost around £30 round here so cheaper than a physio.

I'd suggest trying an orthotic insole too. You can buy them in chemists, I'd recommend one of the more rigid ones. Also what footwear do you usually wear? Best thing is small heal and laces or a strap over the top of the foot to keep them on properly. Wearing slip ones makes you scrunch your toes which could cause arch pain

• Like 1

Just to add a note of caution - burning sensations can indicate nerve involvement so it's always worth getting things checked out by an expert. In the meantime, try using a tennis ball or similar to massage the arch, and wear supportive shoes. You can try off-the-peg orthotics but it may make the problem worse depending on what the problem is.

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice, I already wear over the counter insoles and I try to wear sensible supportive shoes; this week I have mostly worn some running trainers ( not fashion ones.) And maybe unwisely I haven't been to the physio because when I go to school in under two weeks I get a full physio assessment and I have quite a high pain threshold so I thought I did just ride it out. On further reading, I think the pain is down to me rolling a bit which I do, do when I am not wearing shoes.

Edited by slightlyswayedback

Thanks for the advice, I already wear over the counter insoles and I try to wear sensible supportive shoes; this week I have mostly worn some running trainers ( not fashion ones.) And maybe unwisely I haven't been to the physio because when I go to school in under two weeks I get a full physio assessment and I have quite a high pain threshold so I thought I did just ride it out. On further reading, I think the pain is down to me rolling a bit which I do, do when I am not wearing shoes.

I echo drdance's advice to get an assessment before you start school. If there is a nerve involved then you need it checked sooner rather than later. It may hopefully be as simple as rolling in but in my experience that does not give you a burning pain in your foot.