Now That's What I Call A Correction Volume 1

TYR

10 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

🤣 yes it’s gone up from £1 to £1.50 so a 50% increase - well above inflation 🤣🤣🤣

Prices fluctuate wildly. I was hoping for a Winter Sale but it never happened. I might ask for a membership card so if I do 9 crimes I have the 10th one free? With a little ballet shoe stamp icon in case I lose track.

Or.. if I pay in advance perhaps I could ask for a discount?

• Like 1

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

🤣 yes it’s gone up from £1 to £1.50 so a 50% increase - well above inflation 🤣🤣🤣

Ha ha ha! Love this - I haven't managed to get to Hannah's classes for far too long! (work, blah blah blah). I'll try to join you all via online soon!

Also, pre-Covid, Hannah's Beginner's class at Danceworks always started with a really good focused check in, including finding your arms in first position "As if you're holding a beach ball, not a beer" 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kate_N said:

Ha ha ha! Love this - I haven't managed to get to Hannah's classes for far too long! (work, blah blah blah). I'll try to join you all via online soon!

Also, pre-Covid, Hannah's Beginner's class at Danceworks always started with a really good focused check in, including finding your arms in first position "As if you're holding a beach ball, not a beer" 

🤣🤣 yes or how not to hold the thumbs - “not like your holding a beer - you can hold a beer at 8 o’clock after class” or “hands lightly on the barre - not like you’re pushing a trolley in the middle of Lidl” love it 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, here's a good one... the instructors' ability to change things up. Like, oh, we're doing that one again.. mark this, mark that yadda, yadda... and then... WHAT!???!!!!!.. and then blind panic as I've suddenly realised there is a a variation and the awful, forlorn realisation that something is going to be corrected...

Edited by Alexander
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sir Luke Ahmet this fine morning (the "Sir" is unofficial):

Don't have a KitKat and a cuppa in your preparation from 4th

As in, prepare and rip right into the turn, don't die waiting.

Also

at the end of the attitude turn there's a temptation to become a bit smaller [cambrés over to one side] - it's quite cool in a contemporary way - but it should be this side [under the 5th arm] that takes you around

the problem here was that his demonstration of the problem looked so good it convinced me to try it.

• Like 4

I loved Luke Ahmet’s classes at Rambert a few years ago. 
I remember one evening we must have all been a bit gloomy looking ( though probably we were just concentrating) and he said something akin to “Look come on I know it’s Monday but  I haven’t sentenced anybody to death yet” 

• Like 5

I see as well as ballet he leads a Cunningham class on Friday evenings, which sounds intriguing if I ever wanted to dive back into the world of extremely hard skin on one's feet and painfully sore oblique muscles.

• Like 2

The sort of correction when everyone is in the centre facing the mirror and still and the instructor is saying something and we're waiting, waiting, waiting to start and then the instructor's voice drifts through all the dancers and their legs and arms and reaches the ears...and then the realisation that in fact they have seen something in the mirror and an immediate adjustment was required about 10 seconds ago.

• Like 1

General question. If someone, should, and I'm not exactly identifiying this person, practice the role of Baron von Rothbart... with a distinguishing limp and an allergy to swans... would this attract correction?

• 2 weeks later...

Picking at the barre can be a little tricky.. choices, choices. Prime spot right next to the instructor.. real close to capture every minute detail and soak in all the tasty morsels of ballet advice. But then they can spot everything in minute detail too.

So, I found myself basking in commentary on what makes the the ideal position for port de bras 5th postion gazing on with admiration, spotting things in the mirror... hands forward, turning in, with a good shape to be seen by just raising the eyes and.... "just in the fringeline"

[pause]

"IF WE HAD ONE"

Goddamit... I'm paying good money for this! Coming to class with comb-over, see how yer like that!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A vintage showing from Anna!

"Dance is...a conversation without words"

"In ballet, it's better to love the effort than the results because the results are fleeting but the effort lasts"

"Excited, but not frantic" (this was about piqué turns)

"You need to think about the inner circle and the outer circle, if you get it right it's an incredibly strong position" (about arms in turns in general, v good)

"sweep the leg out before the jump, otherwise it's so laboured" (jétés)

"the responsibility of any dancer is to hold their own line"

"if you're ever on stage and you can't see anything in the lights, your arms should be the reference for where everything is"

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TYR said:

A vintage showing from Anna!

"Excited, but not frantic" (this was about piqué turns)

"You need to think about the inner circle and the outer circle, if you get it right it's an incredibly strong position" (about arms in turns in general, v good)

I was there! My little ear lobes just quivered with excitement - circles, what circles, who, what, where?...

... and...

Well, yes Anna, but at least one dancer here would just like to attain a proficient level of frantic but I don't think this is a good place to argue..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TYR said:

So you're hoping organized chaos is at least better than just chaos?

Well, hmmm, going to have a bit of think about this one. Hmmmm... well beyond my meagre efforts.

Can we do Sarabande? Real slowly.

16 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Well, hmmm, going to have a bit of think about this one. Hmmmm... well beyond my meagre efforts.

Can we do Sarabande? Real slowly.

In any case I think Anna sees me as an agent of chaos

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TYR said:

In any case I think Anna sees me as an agent of chaos

We shall plot. Every ballet class needs some commedia dell'arte... I shall, hmmm lets see... hmm be Il Capitano. That should draw out some spicy corrections....

For Grade 1 RAD

Miss Louise commenting on the state of the Walks exercise: "Don't look like you're walking to Tesco's."

Doing the shopping is boring for a kid, so this really hits home.

Edited by Harriet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The sort of correction where all attempts at verbal communication have been terminated and they creep up behind and (I cannot quite describe the effect) they have a good rummage to sort things out around the haunches...and it's OMG! What have you done?!...It feels..ODD.

And then they walk away... probably to do stealth rummaging elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Paraphrasing: "don't find yourself in-between. Either be here or there but if you are in-between you are nowhere. Be here!" (or there, there was some soliloquy as to whether here was better than there).

Edited by Alexander
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/04/2023 at 17:48, Alexander said:

The sort of correction where all attempts at verbal communication have been terminated and they creep up behind and (I cannot quite describe the effect) they have a good rummage to sort things out around the haunches...and it's OMG! What have you done?!...It feels..ODD.

And then they walk away... probably to do stealth rummaging elsewhere.

Yasss! 🤣🤣🤣 It’s very disconcerting and usually results in me promptly mucking up the exercise. I do appreciate the correction though. 

• 1 month later...

The Place intensives are back!

And with them, really astonishingly weird contemporary corrections!

"Be faster than your brain can notice"

"Your eyes are now in your pelvis"

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...