Now That's What I Call A Correction Volume 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100th anniversary special Now That's What I Call A Correction from Merce Cunningham. Trust the contemporary world to stand the whole concept on his head:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/apr/15/merce-cunningham-dance-centenary-pupils-recall-teacher

Merce did not talk to anyone, ever. He gave no corrections, no communication. He’d walk in the room, say, “We are doing this piece”, turn on the stopwatch and comment at the end, “Two seconds too slow”, or, “Two seconds too fast”. In the course of five years of rehearsing – all day every day – he said two sentences to me. The first was: “You need more tensile strength.” I was 18 and I didn’t know what he meant. The other one was: “Thank you for the cheese.” Because I gave him a selection of French cheese.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

"If you leave the fish in the boiling water, and then you pull them out, the flesh stays in the soup".

OK Renato, what does that have to do with my port de bras?

"Has someone written one of those articles? Ballet is for everyone?"

• 1 month later...

Today's beautiful thought: "I don't believe in God but ballet is all about reaching for the divine! And the divine is up there! [*allongé 3rd arabesque*] It certainly ain't down here."

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

"The thigh should start off cylindrical, but then...you know how you find balloons under the sofa three days after the party? It should go flat like that as you rotate."

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

This one was a little baffling, thanks to Enrico Montes:

"Back up! Back up!"

I was doing a penché to 1st arabesque and then an arabesque balance in relévé. I did think of hopping backwards but realised he meant keep your back higher until the leg is up

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

John Clifford on his YT channel:

"TOENAILS!" // lead your enveloppé out and back in with the toenail

"Pick something up and then throw it over your other shoulder" // this for circular port de bras

"And George said...it's the lights" // placement of the head with arms in 4th - should be inclined to catch a beam from the lights.

I think the best one is the one that one of the teachers gave me.  

"Now watch your hand as it moves in the port de bras from first to fifth and keep it in your peripheral vision.  Imagine you've just had the best manicure of your life and can't stop looking at your new shellac."

It certainly worked for me.  I am now a lot better at following my hand with my eye.  

I'd say the other great correction I picked up was watching the Swan Lake Insight event last month.  Wayne Sleep was coaching the Neapolitan dance and he said to the dancers "you may not be able to make a correction instantly.  Think it, internalise it and then it will settle in better for next time."  I found that very helpful personally.   

Edited by Tango Dancer
  • Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Not a correction, but Nina Thilas-Mohs was complaining about a carpet being like a "beige swamp" over the weekend..

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

"Your knees should feel like your lungs" - Anna du Boisson

(Not something you think about much unless things are badly wrong? Stuffed up with snot? Infected with COVID-19? So many possibilities....)

• Like 1
On 13/04/2020 at 17:38, Tango Dancer said:

I think the best one is the one that one of the teachers gave me.  

"Now watch your hand as it moves in the port de bras from first to fifth and keep it in your peripheral vision.  Imagine you've just had the best manicure of your life and can't stop looking at your new shellac."

It certainly worked for me.  I am now a lot better at following my hand with my eye.  

similar correction about hands / eyes in port de bra   ' you have your phonein your ahnd  with a selfie of your lover  on the screen , you can;t take your eyes off them '

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anna du Boisson: "Don't dance like a stick insect!"

Well, I'm glad we've made that completely clear. [Actually it was the prelude to a really good point about chainé and soutenu - you're constantly told to stretch the knees, straighten the leg, and turn out, but to get this right you need to initiate the turn with a tiny plié and slightly relax the turnout]

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Renato Paroni: "if you want a better balance, let the fingers lead the port de bras"

(it was a developpé devant on relévé and it ****ing worked!)

Also RP: "Jellyfish the arms...not the shoulders"

(Not sure if I jellyfished correctly)