Now That's What I Call A Correction Volume 1

TYR

Special moment: he wanted to make a point about the Balanchine/Bernal thing of deliberately putting weight on the barre. So he had us all take 1st while he ran between us and the the barres on hands and knees making cow noises

• Like 2

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My teacher passed on some thoughts on pull-up from a (somewhat eccentric)  teacher she had as a student. "Imagine you have weed yourself and you are trying to avoid contact with your wet knickers."  I don't believe I have wet my knickers in many, many years, but I found that I had a very strong sensory memory of avoiding the clinginess of those soggy pants.And, yes, instant engagement of the pelvic floor/lower abdominals. She often uses the reminder "wet knickers" in class.

• 2 months later...

RP: "Everyone feels horrible in coordination class...I've seen brilliant dancers destroy their careers like that...it's like Napoleon in Russia or the Germans in Russia...or....the *Russians* in Russia"

Also RP: "Racehorses look front!"

Actually useful from Nina: "If it's too fast, your core isn't tight enough"

• 1 month later...

"Push down into the earth with one foot and into destiny with the other"

"It's easy to be a saint in a convent...but it's not so easy on Copacabana"

Guess who.

• 2 months later...

I skimmed through this thread and discovered a post I'd made about a correction a tutor had given us at an RAD course a couple of years ago. Funnily enough she came back again this summer and mentioned the same thing and I told her that I always use that now!  She was very pleased!  It's the one to help alignment - standing in croise or efface remember it should be 5 minutes to 12 or 5 past 12 ànd not 10 minutes before or after!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 1

From last night at CSB:

"The opposite hip is like the other side of your personality. It's the one that's really important..."

I.e. don't let your turnout slacken in en dedans turns. Not actually Renato, but someone dear to his heart.

• 1 month later...

"Your plié is like the US and China. In tension. Divided by the whole Pacific. If they get too close it's war. Or diplomacy. But maybe war and we don't want that."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

[Tendu dégagé]

"Reach forward but resist...offer your foot to the fetishist...but deny him it at the last moment possible. Ballet is a sensation and it's that sensation. In fact, it's a moral sensation. Like all art, ballet is a moral act.

You'll probably not understand this unless you've watched Barry Lyndon. You know the Reverend? The moment when the guy comes back from the wars missing a leg? [mimes a strange gurning wink] It's just a bit wicked."

Who else could it possibly be but RP? He followed up by baring his operation scar like a gorilla in order to demand greater effort from us.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

"Stand on it!"

("It" is the supporting leg; if you don't you will be not quite in balance and losing turnout as you close 5th.)

"Think condor!"

(you're dancing in centre. open your arms more and wider and engage the back.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if it counts as a correction or just general exhortation, but it's from Niki Tsiskaridze so it probably qualifies:

http://melmoth.blog/post/182213550753/news-segment-about-vaganova-ballet-academys-2019

"La Garde meurt mais ne se rende pas!"

(the guy who said it swore more and went on to surrender a couple of hours later but never mind)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Are there any Brazilians here? No? I want you to think of the lady of the house and her maid. *Shrieks in a hoarse, high pitched voice* ISAAAUURA!!

...a beat....

..another...

...[as the maid, with an extreme, overdone accent, taking as long as possible, and sounding completely pissed off] senhora?

It's class consciousness...better than Marx."

the point was about rocketing up to passé and delaying on the way back down. he kept yelling "ISAUUURA!!!.....Senhora?" through the next barre exercise.

• Like 3

100th anniversary special Now That's What I Call A Correction from Merce Cunningham. Trust the contemporary world to stand the whole concept on his head:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/apr/15/merce-cunningham-dance-centenary-pupils-recall-teacher

Merce did not talk to anyone, ever. He gave no corrections, no communication. He’d walk in the room, say, “We are doing this piece”, turn on the stopwatch and comment at the end, “Two seconds too slow”, or, “Two seconds too fast”. In the course of five years of rehearsing – all day every day – he said two sentences to me. The first was: “You need more tensile strength.” I was 18 and I didn’t know what he meant. The other one was: “Thank you for the cheese.” Because I gave him a selection of French cheese.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

"If you leave the fish in the boiling water, and then you pull them out, the flesh stays in the soup".

OK Renato, what does that have to do with my port de bras?

"Has someone written one of those articles? Ballet is for everyone?"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This one was a little baffling, thanks to Enrico Montes:

"Back up! Back up!"

I was doing a penché to 1st arabesque and then an arabesque balance in relévé. I did think of hopping backwards but realised he meant keep your back higher until the leg is up

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

John Clifford on his YT channel:

"TOENAILS!" // lead your enveloppé out and back in with the toenail

"Pick something up and then throw it over your other shoulder" // this for circular port de bras

"And George said...it's the lights" // placement of the head with arms in 4th - should be inclined to catch a beam from the lights.