Ismene Brown off

I am surprised this item hasn’t drawn a wider response. Ms Brown has been a favourite of mine for many years – for her clarity, her insight and the quality of her writing. Unlike some other dance critics whose prejudices are barely concealed she has always seemed to be completely open-minded and always has something interesting to say. I shall miss her contributions very much.

And yes, Ms Brown, you have persuaded me to buy quite a few tickets over the years!

Interesting that she says she is off to Oxford to do some research. Let's hope it will result in a book!

• Like 6

I'm afraid Ms Brown's prejudices were always too hard to stomach for me, particularly her strong dislike of Russian ballet and certain of its dancers.  I will not miss her in the least.

• Like 3

I am surprised this item hasn’t drawn a wider response. Ms Brown has been a favourite of mine for many years – for her clarity, her insight and the quality of her writing. Unlike some other dance critics whose prejudices are barely concealed she has always seemed to be completely open-minded and always has something interesting to say. I shall miss her contributions very much.

And yes, Ms Brown, you have persuaded me to buy quite a few tickets over the years!

Interesting that she says she is off to Oxford to do some research. Let's hope it will result in a book!

She was absolutely not open minded towards companies based north of the north side of Oxford Street! I'm not sorry to see the back of her as a dance critic but I wish her well in her chosen path.

• Like 4

Oh dear – I just wanted to say a quiet thank you to a writer who has entertained and informed me over many years but I seem to have opened the gates to some strong feelings. I really should have known better! One can neither praise nor impugn a critic with impunity.

I guess we all like to see ourselves as open-minded and fair but it’s probably a fact, though we may not like to admit it, that we respond most positively to those critics who reflect our own loyalties and preferences. A critic’s views can be seen by some as fair comment, by others as blatant prejudice. The fact that I enjoy a critic whom others excoriate probably says more about me, my loyalties, preferences, tastes, likes and dislikes – North, South, Russian, English, whatever - than any true assessment of that critic’s analysis. Mea Culpa.

If Ms Brown’s writings have engendered strong reaction and debate, both for and against, she has fulfilled her function and, like her writings or loathe them, we need critics like her.

• Like 6

Oh dear – I just wanted to say a quiet thank you to a writer who has entertained and informed me over many years but I seem to have opened the gates to some strong feelings. I really should have known better! One can neither praise nor impugn a critic with impunity.

I guess we all like to see ourselves as open-minded and fair but it’s probably a fact, though we may not like to admit it, that we respond most positively to those critics who reflect our own loyalties and preferences. A critic’s views can be seen by some as fair comment, by others as blatant prejudice. The fact that I enjoy a critic whom others excoriate probably says more about me, my loyalties, preferences, tastes, likes and dislikes – North, South, Russian, English, whatever - than any true assessment of that critic’s analysis. Mea Culpa.

If Ms Brown’s writings have engendered strong reaction and debate, both for and against, she has fulfilled her function and, like her writings or loathe them, we need critics like her.

I wouldn't have even bothered quoting on this thread if it hadn't been for this sentence in your previous post:

"Unlike some other dance critics whose prejudices are barely concealed she has always seemed to be completely open-minded and always has something interesting to say. I shall miss her contributions very much."

• Like 3

I will miss her because she writes really interestingly and intelligently, whether or not I agree with what she's saying. And she's lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to write at greater length than most critics are allowed, which has allowed for more in-depth writing and reflection. I also don't really think that any critics (or any people, probably) are fully open-minded, even if they/we try to be so; everyone has biases and preferences and strong opinions which inevitably inform how they watch works and react to them. Though it's true that critics should make a serious effort not to pre-judge performances or companies, and to remain open to the possibility of being surprised.

• Like 12

Sad news. Ismene Brown is a truly great critic and will be sorely missed. I don't agree with her all the time, of course, but her fearless approach, coupled with deep knowledge across the totality of dance always made you sit-up and take note. Just take a stroll around her own site to get some idea how much she has written and at what level. It's breathtaking:

If she didn't like some of the things you did, get over it - I'd far sooner see the reality of an interesting critic writing about the ups and downs of seeing a diversity of shows then the endless loving reverence of some who always conclude that the work of their chosen companies is just wonderful and brilliant etc.

I hope whatever she does at Oxford has a public side that moves dance and/or criticism forward.

• Like 11

Her Twitter profile suggests that she'll be doing a DPhil in Soviet culture - so not too far removed from her work thus far?  (Might I add that, to the extent that she was involved in finding Hanna Weibye for the Arts Desk, that's another thing we may be grateful for in years to come.)

• Like 3

As someone who has been reading ballet criticism for over fifty years, it is tempting to label critics good, bad and indifferent, well, fairly good, perhaps.  I can remember a time when I would have added categories such as brilliant and inspiring, but not now.

People write reviews here too of course, some more competently than others I'll admit, but what comes across is enthusiasm for the art and not the jaded thoughts of a journalist for whom a dance review is a tedious chore.  Ballet.co has rules however and we are obliged to water down some of our views, but critics are rarely constrained in the same way and in personal blogs the venomous and distorted opinions on offer can make ugly reading. 

I find it interesting that Ms Brown's chosen subject is Soviet culture, as her writings on Russian ballet showed no understanding of the Russian aesthetic but did emphasize a strong dislike of all things Russian/Soviet.  The present political climate is increasingly hostile towards Russia, I'm sure that with her DPhil to give her credibility Ms Brown's books will enjoy great popularity amongst fellow Russophobes.

I'm afraid Ms Brown's prejudices were always too hard to stomach for me, particularly her strong dislike of Russian ballet and certain of its dancers.  

as her writings on Russian ballet showed no understanding of the Russian aesthetic but did emphasize a strong dislike of all things Russian/Soviet.  The present political climate is increasingly hostile towards Russia, I'm sure that with her DPhil to give her credibility Ms Brown's books will enjoy great popularity amongst fellow Russophobes.

Curious as to the basis for your assertions that Ismene Brown has a strong dislike of Russian ballet & no understanding of the Russian aesthetic.

Just to pick totally at random 2 reviews ..... her last http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/08/in-her-final-column-ismene-brown-salutes-the-bolshois-real-stars-the-corps-de-ballet/  and this from 1999 

http://www.ananiashvili.com/reviews/donquixote/bolshoi99_donq_dt080299.htm

She clearly doesn't like it all but what's wrong with that ? 

Edited by annamk
  • Like 4

Northern Ballet not northern enough? :)

To add to John Mallinson's +ve Northern Ballet review link, here is a rave review of BRB in a new Bintley ballet:

Ultimately I think Ismene and co look at the art and not the geography.
Edited by Bruce
  • Like 5

Sad news. 

I enjoy reading Ismene Brown. Although I don't always agree with her, she is one of the few critics who make me think about my own response to a production/performance.

But I feel the more appropriate word here is 'disappointing'.

• Like 2