Vocational school audition dates

taxi4ballet

Having gone through the round of vocational auditions (post 16) I think it is dependant on which school... although my DS did not choose a classical school in the end, we were told get in 'early' for auditions as scholarships were being determined early on in the audition process.

I don't think it really matters. Early auditions means you can audition for more schools. Please do not think that auditioning for a number of schools will affect your chances. I think they all almost expect you to do so. We were certainly made to feel a little odd in that we only auditioned for one.

Please, please, please if you are going to need to rely on funding to pay for the school, please make sure that that DC fully understands that actually going to the school is dependent on them getting the funding. No funding means you are not going. There is very little funding available and unrealistically raising DC's hopes and then having to shatter them at the last minute is not fair on them or you. Just because you can't afford to pay the very high school fees does not mean your DC isn't really talented. They are and being offered a place confirms just how talented they really are and it is worth trying to invest in that talent.

At our funding audition we met a lad who had been accepted by Tring and Elmhurst for three years in a row before finally getting a Tring MDS. His mother had made it quite clear that without funding he couldn't go and was quite happy in that knowledge hoping this year would be different. It was and he was over the moon to finally go. to Tring. I certainly think his mum was a lot fairer than those who audition with no idea on how to pay for it if successful.

Because you have a talented child does not mean the world owes you a funded place. Just like everything else in life you have to work hard for what you really want.

Edit - fingers are failing me today!

Edited by Dancersdad
  • Like 2

Thank you Dancingdreams that is a really useful snippet of information.

Any other tips are always welcome as we too are about to step onto the merry go round of vocational auditions(post 16)

• Like 1

I think if your child wants to give auditioning a go, knowing the financial lay of the land, then go for it, even if it's just for experience.

Early auditions suited us when dd auditioned a few years ago, because we wanted to get them over with before Christmas. This proved to be a good decision, because when the news came (it was one "no" and one unfunded place) dd had Christmas to cheer her up.

We'll probably try for early auditions in a couple of years' time, because dd is a terror for coming down with some illness or other just before Christmas! :-)

• Like 1

Do it. She may be lucky and get the funding, but if she does get a place it is solid confirmation that she is very talented and it is worth looking for other options. I just wish there were more parents who made this clear to their children

I think that all of the schools that offer funding apart from Norther Ballet School have a recall audition not only for funding but in the case of RBS, Elmhurst, ENB it would also be for them to have another look at the students before a place may or may not be offered. I honestly dont think it makes much difference as to when the child auditons regarding funding. If the student needs a few more classes to get them to a required standard then maybe a later audition might be more suited to them. The schools know what they are looking for and will recall the ones they want to look at again. A huge good luck to all the children auditioning over the next few months, the best bit of advice I can give to anybody is to relax and try to enjoy the experience. Honestly the auditioning side of things is easy its just waiting for those flipping letters that causes the most anxiety.

• Like 6

If this is your dd's GCSE year, try to find out when the "mocks" will be. My dd and her dancing friends from other places found schools varied wildly. Some started them before Christmas and others not till later in January/February. It's best not to have too many things going on at once.

• Like 3

I echo pas de quatre's words of wisdom. We talked to DDs school and found they had no problem with her sitting 'mocks' on alternative dates but there were some actual GCSE exams in January and there was little or no flexibility in terms of dates for French/German oral exams and the drama practical, which cannot be scheduled around one pupil. No matter how we tried to spread things out a little DD had about 4 weeks Nov/Dec when she had no lunch hours just trying to keep up with lessons missed, especially with coursework which had to be completed under supervision and within a set time frame.

• Like 1

There can be advantages to both early and late auditions.

The first time my DD auditioned for vocational school she did a very early audition and was offered a final audition some 4 months later which was great to achieve early and relieved some pressure on her and improved her confidence for subsequent auditions.The second time my DD auditioned she did the very last preliminary audition and was offered a place at school without attending a final audition.

I think a prime consideration is how many other commitments your DC has around the time of the audition so they are in the best possible physical and mental state to prepare for their audition.

Also consider where auditions are located. If there are preliminary auditions close to home its definitely worth considering these as it reduces your travelling costs, and perhaps more importantly travelling time, so dancer is likely to arrive at the audition fresher. If the preliminary audition is at a studio your child is familiar with that's even better.

If this is your dd's GCSE year, try to find out when the "mocks" will be. My dd and her dancing friends from other places found schools varied wildly. Some started them before Christmas and others not till later in January/February. It's best not to have too many things going on at once.

She will start yr 9 in September

In that case taxi4ballet I really don't think it makes much difference whether auditions are early or late. It is a very personal decision which perhaps you could discuss with her teacher. I would only consider aiming for a late one if she has been going through a growing spurt and is at an awkward stage, a later audition might give time to gain strength again.

• Like 1