ENB youth ballet workshops

southerndancemum

Hi all,

After some feedback on the youth ballet workshops.  DD did one a couple of years ago and found it, erm...  not very challenging. 

I'm wondering if they get more challenging as the attendees get older, or if, as anyone can do them, they still are aimed at 'non career aspiring' (for want of a better description) children.

Thanks an advance

• Like 1

I am also interested in opinions on these workshops.

I called a while ago to enquire about one, I think it was based around Swan Lake. I was told categorically that she could not attend the 11+ workshop even though she is G4/IF standard and 10! The younger one was full so we didn't end up going.

Interesting to hear that even the older workshop was quite easy for your DD Southerndancemum.

• Like 1

LoL we didn't ask BME...

Actually that's not strictly true thinking back... I'd forgotten she's done 2, just found the email lol. We asked the first time. Where she would have been a yr younger but her grades were higher than normal. He agreed to put her in the next age group, but they were much younger. 5 to 7 I think but she was studying grade 1 and 2 already.

This last one we didn't ask, based on someone else I knew just booking her JA DS in the 11+ class age 10

Edited by southerndancemum

If workshops are grouped purely by age and with no approximate standard, then no, they may not be challenging. However, the experience of taking class on - for example - stage at the Coliseum, learning ENB rep, is a lovely thing in itself. It depends what you go for, really. Not everything has to be technically challenging to be enjoyable and worthwhile. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

DD attended the 11-13 years old session for Nutcracker this morning and loved it.  She wasn't challenged, other than one particular barre exercise but thoroughly enjoyed the repertoire that they were taught and the experience of the lovely stage.  Having seen Nutcracker there in the past made it even more exciting. Definitely some there that were much younger than 11 and one or two hadn't done ballet before, although they had clearly done other dance styles.  DD would go again for the experience so I wouldn't discount these workshops for those doing associates/vocational training especially over the holiday period when there are no other classes to keep the dance mad from driving you crazy!