Tutu Carrier - recommendations?

Anna C

Morning all! Having just taken delivery of dd's first "proper" tutu, I now need to get a tutu carrier for it so that it can be transported.

It's a little confusing though - so far online I've seen a Katz one, a lightweight Sansha one, and a black one on Dance Direct and Planet Dance. I know I need a 100 cm one but they all seem to be PVC so I'd like one that's lined if possible, with some means of keeping the tutu in place when it's being carried.

Any ideas? Thank you! :-)

• Like 1

I would also be interested in answer to this! Have also just taken delivery of first proper tutu and have left it in the delivery package at the moment because that seemed safest way to store it but not ideal and won't work when we need to transport it.

• Like 1

We have the (large) black one from Dance Direct, My DD's tutu fits perfectly into that so doesn't need securing. TBH I've never really looked at it in any detail so cannot tell you if it is lined (don't think so) or if it does have any means of securing a smaller skirted tutu. Not much use sorry but I will have a look when I get home later :-)

• Like 2

I have two - one very heavy thick padded one which is lined and a smaller one from dance direct which isn't lined. I see loads at festivals and they do all seem to have straps inside them to secure the tutu. I don't really think it matters whether they are lined or not. Many people just turn the tutu inside out and use a large clear bin liner to transport them. We were advised by the lady who made the tutu to ALWAYS keep it flat. If you look on the internet you can buy some which fold in half and whilst this may be useful to help carry it tutu's shouldn't be folded for any length of time!

If you are thinking of buying one go for the largest one you can because as your dd grows the width of the skirt will need to be wider!

• Like 2

DD has one of the pink PVC ones with a picture of a dancer in black on it - not sure of the make but they are often on ebay and online dance shops. There's a sort of pouch inside that you slip the totu in and a strap that goes through the middle of the tutu that fastens with velcro to secure it. (sorry, it's hard to describe but it's obvious how it works when you see one. I bought the carrier when she was 5 and she's now 14 and it's still in perfect condition except for a few lipstick marks! I've often put 2 tutus in - one inside the pouch and one on top of it - and there's plenty of room for them. I was advised by our dressmaker when she little to buy the adult size bag even though her tutu was tiny then, as it would save me having to buy another when she got bigger. That has proved sensible advise!

• Like 2

I have had the katz one but I was sent the wrong size so had to send it back. it was nice but had no straps inside and even if the tutu fits perfectly without straps I felt there was still a danger of the tutu sliding inside the bag. I liked being able to fold it in half but again I would not think that I would be very good for the tutu and you would not be able to fold if the tutu has a hoop. I was then sent one by gifted dancer the only 100 cm bag the shop had. It is thicker material than the Katz bag more of a cotton canvas. It's has a strap inside and is lined. Dd not sure about it being pink but in my opinion it is better then the Katz bag. I bought it from stagestruck as they offer free p+p. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The next problem is then where to put it at home - divan beds (so can't put under bed), built in cupboards (so can't pop on the top of the wardrobe), too wide for wardrobe so can't hang it in the wardrobe, in the loft (but have to bend it about to fit through the loft hatch). :blink:

It ended up sitting in state at the far end of our bedroom. :P

• Like 3