Visiting Mariinsky Theatre

In November am going to St.Petersburg and there is a performance of Giselle while we are there.

Does anybody here know the theatre well enough to recommend where to sit?

For example are the Stalls reasonably raked? Or is it better to sit higher up.....is there an equivalent area similar to the height of the Amphitheatre?

Any info gratefully received

Many thanks

Linda

• Like 3

As written in the thread above, the Mariinsky historical theatre's stall seats are very flat with no rake so I would recommend to avoid if you are not tall.

I sat in several places in the historical theatre, and one was in the side seat of the 4th ring. I would say the position was not too high (I think it is maybe lower than that of the amphitheatre of ROH) and it was at the very side but quite close to the stage. But there is one higher ring above that. I saw Swan Lake at the Mariinsky Festival and the price was 1500 roubles so that was not a bad deal. (it was the last ticket in the house for that performance)

resize0819.jpg

Also I saw a mixed bill of Fokine works from the 1st ring side but close to the center 1st row and that view was great.

Other performances were in the 5th row of the stalls and the view was blocked by people in front and difficult to see the dancer's feet so not recommended.

I don't think you will visit this time but Mariinsky 2 Theatre is raked well so you can have a good view from everywhere and the acoustics are magnificent. 

• Like 3

Definitely avoid the stalls - awful no rake all I had was big heads in front.  

The Mariinsky equivalent of ROH Stalls Circle is good (raised up that little bit) as I sat there first time I EVER went to a ballet!!!  I loved that seat and the ballet.  I recall that they weighed the ice cream on ancient scales there LOL!

Try to go to Gergiev's restaurant too - we went just for dessert!  

• Like 3

Hi was travelling today so just got a good wifi source!!

Thanks for those who replied

There's a part of me which would almost sit anywhere just to be in that theatre but then I thought might not get another chance so maybe pay a little more for the seat to get a reasonable view.

So advice has been very helpful...thanks

Sorry about the miss spelling and thankyou for correcting it Jan!!

I'm not even going to try to write the name of the other theatre ....beginning with M ....which is in St Petersburg ....until I've looked it up that is!!! Hope to get there as well.

The other ballet offered in that week is the Fountain of Bakhchisarai ......has anyone seen this?

I've looked at clips on YouTube and it looks epically Russian!

I hardly ever sit in the stalls at the ROH so don't have a good idea of the rake there ( sat in row T last time) but people who've sat in both is there much difference in the stalls rake at the ROH and that of Mariinski do you think?

I believe the rake in the ROH is better than in the Mariinsky. I would not sit in the stalls (orchestra) at the Mariinsky unless I was very, very tall indeed. Whereas I have done more or less okay at the Royal Opera House. In the first level boxes (the Benois level I believe it's called), there are three rows within the box, but the second row is not higher than the first, so those seats seem quite terrible. When I was in the front row of one of those boxes the people behind said they couldn't see anything and moved to the (then empty) third row of the box which was perched on an elevated step. I think this may be different on the different levels though.

You can also find information about the theater/seating on Tripadvisor.  I don't know the rules here about links, but google the three words Tripadvisor/Mariinsky/Seats and various discussion threads on Tripadvisor will come up...

The banking in the new Mariinsky is altogether much better. Seats are more comfortable too. But it's not the same ballet-history thrill to be there -- nor anything like as simply magical a space. Still, when going to the ballet, there is something to be said for being able to see over the head of the people sitting in front of you!

Fountain of Bakhchisarai is an orientalist Soviet fantasy; for my taste it's not the most sophisticated choreography in the world, but has its charms for sure. And there are two big, contrasting ballerina roles. I think you have to enter in to the spirit of it...but if you do, probably would enjoy it.

Hope you have  wonderful trip!

• Like 3

It's either the Friday ....or more likely the Saturday the 5th I'm pretty sure ...its at 12 noon and is in the main theatre.

Because it's advertised on the website I'm assuming the public can go and it's not some private showing.

As part of one of my trips to St Petersburg we did a backstage tour of the Mariinsky Theatre my abiding memory is what a health and safety nightmare of a place it was!  H&S didn't seem to exist in Russia in 2002/2004.  Hopefully things have improved now.

Hope you can get to the (is this the M you mentioned?) Mikhailovsky Ballet as well I'd love to see them again,  I have really missed them coming here.

Thanks Lin, but I guess middle of the day is not ideal for either day as we could be preforming ourselves at the Congress, don't we have some cultural visit on the Saturday

Unfortunately I don't have access to any of that project info while I'm away this week at Ballet West.