Peccopa

I personally disagree on the life of veg and fruit at Aldi. You do have to be a bit careful about the 'Super 6' in that respect but I genuinely feel the overall quality is as good as the traditional supermarkets and often better. The lack of sell by dates is to be encouraged as it reduces unnecessary waste.

• Like 2

I personally disagree on the life of veg and fruit at Aldi. You do have to be a bit careful about the 'Super 6' in that respect but I genuinely feel the overall quality is as good as the traditional supermarkets and often better. The lack of sell by dates is to be encouraged as it reduces unnecessary waste.

I wonder if the quality varies area to area?   I remember picking up a bag of sugar snap peas that had turned to mush in the bottom once.  I won't buy fruit and vegetables without a sell by date at all otherwise you can be fibbed off with rubbish.  Don't forget the more established supermarkets sell off their stuff cheaply on sell by day.  If there's no date they'd sit on the shelf until they start to rot. 

• Like 2

Oh dear, I hope that's not your newish local Aldi, MAB :o

I remember being refused a bag of apples at my ex-local Co-Op because it was actually past its sell-by date: the fruit was fine :(  Not to mention a perfectly good bouquet of flowers, but that's another story ...

Quality must vary from area to area as my Aldi is the best place for longevity of fresh fruit and veg.  The quality is good and the price is excellent.  Me and my "middle class angst" can often be found with a trolley full.  Plus the Prosecco is a steal at only £5.49 a bottle!  :D

• Like 7

Well, after reading this thread, I've revisited Lidl and made a great spag bol with the more expensive beef mince they have which I'd do again.

Not sure about the Lidl chicken though. It was all so pale looking and not very tasty. I successfully disguised it in a marinade which obviously defeated the whole purpose. It shrank a lot with cooking too. I've had a look at the frozen chicken as suggested here but it all looks to have added salt. Why does salt have to be added to

I'm a bit suspicious of supermarket meat and try to use a butcher but I have used the steak mince, whole free range chickens and normal and free range chicken breasts from Aldi and like them. Didn't like the sausages. Aldi free range chicken is very good value although I appreciate a luxury for many people....

I'm a bit suspicious of supermarket meat and try to use a butcher but I have used the steak mince, whole free range chickens and normal and free range chicken breasts from Aldi and like them. Didn't like the sausages. Aldi free range chicken is very good value although I appreciate a luxury for many people....

I'll take your advice and try your suggestions from Aldi. Trouble is Aldi closes at 8pm and I get home from work at 8pm. Will have to get more organised!