Sergei Polunin film Dancer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic news, I really hope the movie comes out soon, I cannot wait!

I may suggest changing the title of the topic ? I confess that every time I read it I felt my heart skip a beat, even if things went differently thankfully!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks Alison.  There was a feature about Osipova and Polunin on the BBC 6 o'clock news tonight.  It starts at 25 minutes and is available until tomorrow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07myj00/bbc-news-at-six-12082016

Thank you for this, Janet. Interesting to hear Polunin discuss coming back to the RB: 'I would love to come back and dance at the Royal Ballet. Yes, we are having talks.'

• Like 4

Thanks Alison.  There was a feature about Osipova and Polunin on the BBC 6 o'clock news tonight.  It starts at 25 minutes and is available until tomorrow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07myj00/bbc-news-at-six-12082016

How strange to see such well known stars rehearsing in my local studio! i'll be thinking of them next time I'm in class. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

I'm sure this film will be very interesting to be sure but I hate trailers like this ....quick flashes of bits of dancing of which you never know how much you will actually see in the film.

A bit like those Blockbuster and TV series promos and which look very enticing but then when you actually see them are massively disappointing!!

On a more up beat note surely he would be able to dance at the Royal again on some sort of guest contract? They are often very good to dancers who have previously trained with them. Quite a few who have danced abroad for a while end up back with the Company again.

On a more up beat note surely he would be able to dance at the Royal again on some sort of guest contract? They are often very good to dancers who have previously trained with them. Quite a few who have danced abroad for a while end up back with the Company again.

If that really is so, I would love to see Coventry born Aaron Robison, currently a SFB principal and one who is a former BRB dancer - and RBS student - guest with the RB.  

For a taste click here

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Well he is terrific for sure!!

And if you can say such a thing very in English somehow!! Never would have guessed RB trained.

Imagine this young man and Polunin in the company for a while at the same time.....might stir things up,a bit

Many thanks for posting

Interestingly this is the character Ali he is playing.

On the Corsaire performance thread apparently the Bolshoi don't have an Ali in their production.

This is supposedly because this production....by Ratmansky??...is going back more to its roots.

The interesting thing for me ( and apologies for comparative ignorance in historical,choreographic type knowledge ....in spite of number of years associated with ballet.....) isn't there an Ali character in the original poem based on and if not when did he creep in!

I can put this on other thread too but I do love that solo and cannot imagine seeing Corsaire without it....whoever is dancing.

If that really is so, I would love to see Coventry born Aaron Robison, currently a SFB principal and one who is a former BRB dancer - and RBS student - guest with the RB.  

For a taste click here

I would say if anyone deserves a call back, it would be Xander Parish. A great dancer, amazing work ethic, and a great gentleman. 

• Like 7

But they would have to WANT to go back as well!!

The comment earlier I made about the Royal sometimes being good in employing "their own" after they have been dancing abroad is not based on huge knowledge.

It's just that one day a few years back at the annual student performance I got talking to the lady sitting next to me and it turned out she worked at RBS....sorry just can't remember her name....may have been Ursula??

Anyway I was bemoaning the fact that the Royal hadn't taken a couple of graduates I liked into the Company.....how couldn't they possibly see how talented they were etc etc ....and this lady said that quite often ex RBS students dance abroad for a few years and then reapply and get into the Company then.

How often this happens in reality I have no idea.

But there would be no point in a dancer returning to,the Royal unless it was a progression really .....if you are getting good roles in the Company you are in and couldn't guarantee that with a return to the Royal then the only other motive I can think of would be connected to repertoire.

Valentino Zucchetti has also spoken about reapplying to the RB; Teo Dubreuil chose to join ENB half way through his third year at the RBS and applied to join the RB 2 years later; Hannah Grennell initially joined Dutch National but transferred to the RB after 2/3 years.

Of course, many other dancers have joined the RB as Soloists (e.g. Alexander Campbel), First Soloists (e.g. Sarah Lamb) and Principas (e.g. Vadim Muntagirov) after careers elsewhere.

With Vladimir Shklyarov moving to Munich, Xander Parish is now even better placed to 'hold the stage' at the Mariinsky. 

Apologies for taking this thread even further off-topic  :)

• 3 weeks later...

The film will be shown at Zurich Film Festiva at a Gala Showing on 25th September and Sergei Polunin will be in attendance.

Tickets are still available at a very reasonable 22chf.

https://zff.com/en/archive/12665/

I will be watching the movie on the night and will report my findings.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 3