The Random Thread

aileen, the Maillot Swan Lake uses the Tchaikovsky score in correct order, but it is heavily shortened. If I remember right, two or three short variations were moved to the first act, but you can find that in every other Swan Lake too, I guess. The rest follows Tchaikovsky's original score. It's radical in a choreographic way because he uses no traditional Ivanov/Petipa steps at all, but he keeps the story.

• Like 1

ENB has had a history of this - when still LFB with Peter Schaufuss as AD the premiere of Natalia Makarova's production of Swan Lake was at the Alhambra in Bradford.  A production (sadly I can't remember which) was also premiered in Liverpool many years ago.

Janet, I was studying in Liverpool in 1976 and saw LFB in Ronaid Hynd's Nutcracker at the Empire. It was in November and I am pretty certain it was the premiere, so maybe that's the production you were thinking of.

James

ENB has had a history of this - when still LFB with Peter Schaufuss as AD the premiere of Natalia Makarova's production of Swan Lake was at the Alhambra in Bradford.  A production (sadly I can't remember which) was also premiered in Liverpool many years ago.

Of course BRB and NB productions tend to premiere in their home towns of Birmingham and Leeds (although Jane Eyre premiered in Doncaster - still Yorkshire).

ENB's Corsaire premiered in Milton Keynes of all places, didn't it?

Personally, generally speaking, I don't mind a few digressions, especially towards the end of a run when so much has already been said. Thinking back over the time I've been reading threads here, it's often felt as though digressions are playing a part in building a sense of community among us.

I agree. Stream of consciousness ...

• Like 3