Last minute or what?!!

taxi4ballet

DD is heading off to summer school in an hour's time and is finishing her packing. A few minutes ago she discovered that she has several pairs of new pointe shoes to take with her... and no ribbons.

I have just been presented with the task of unpicking the ribbons from a load of dead pointe shoes :o  (At least I don't have to sew them on, she can do that when she gets there) :D

Is it just the dancer in my family, or do other people's dc's leave things like this to the last minute as well?

• Like 4

Oh yes not just your dd Taxi!

Mine has gone with a few pairs to sew too but I've just found the elastic on top of the sewing box! She will have to unpick elastic from dead pair to transfer to new shoes if needed.

• Like 3

I have to admit I'm guilty of this, too. Leaving for dance in fifteen minutes? Better pack the bag and do my hair, then. Sewing shoes is the worst, though - seems to be a quirk amongst dancers? It's not unherad of for me to start sewing on a school night around nine or ten pm :unsure:

• Like 1

It sounds as if a number of you would benefit from attending my course in "How to be Functionally Useless."  Many years of research have gone into building the curriculum and the joys of flaneur-dom await successful graduates. Please message me for dates and costs.

• Like 2

Oh this is a common theme in our household, and in no way restricted to dance related issues. How many times have I heard at bedtime "Oh by the way mum, it's cookery at school tomorrow - I need ingredients for ocelot spleen risotto....."

• Like 10

How about a professional ds texting en route to a performance that he'd left his shoes behind altogether...

Cue googling dance shops, ringing said dance shops, placing phone order (and paying) and then mini bus driver collecting them.

Thanks from ds? No, response was that they were too big! (He danced in them anyway)

• Like 4

Oh this is a common theme in our household, and in no way restricted to dance related issues. How many times have I heard at bedtime "Oh by the way mum, it's cookery at school tomorrow - I need ingredients for ocelot spleen risotto....."

So I'm possibly not the only one traipsing around supermarket isles with the cookery lesson list, when I should really be fast asleep in bed...!

• Like 4

My dd had a solution to the cookery issue called 'going to the supermarket on the way to school'. Unfortunately everyone else had the same idea. BTW Tiramisu made with Philadelphia cheese looks OK but tastes absolutely revolting.

So I'm possibly not the only one traipsing around supermarket isles with the cookery lesson list, when I should really be fast asleep in bed...!

Oh no, we've all been there, along with the obligatory annual t-shirt hunt (Mum... it's sports day tomorrow and we have to wear a yellow t-shirt). 

• Like 3

I remember my dd informing me at 7.00am one morning that it was world book day and she needed to go in costume and wanted to be Dorothy from the Wizard of OZ.  We had to leave the house for the childminders at 7.45am.  Luckily I'm a dance mum and within minutes had found a petticoat  and basket from a costume, blue & white gingham school dress, some red ballet shoes and a toy dog.  I was so impressed with myself   :D

• Like 9

I remember my dd informing me at 7.00am one morning that it was world book day and she needed to go in costume and wanted to be Dorothy from the Wizard of OZ.  We had to leave the house for the childminders at 7.45am.  Luckily I'm a dance mum and within minutes had found a petticoat  and basket from a costume, blue & white gingham school dress, some red ballet shoes and a toy dog.  I was so impressed with myself   :D

It is often said that dance is a great preparation for life, but I think it should be more widely acknowledged that this applies just as much to parents as to children :) . Missing and irreplaceable bits of costumes, costumes that rip seconds before due on stage, props that disappear between first and second performance, children with stage fright, teachers with attitude, music that will not play though it was perfectly ok this morning etc etc Frankly the average job is  a doddle by comparison.

And not just for dance, I have been known to be sewing costumes for the school musical at the same time as my IB chemistry kids are doing a practical. I loved the fact that after a couple of years at the school the students didn't even bat an eye at the fact that I was doing it, #dramascientist!

• Like 4

And not just for dance, I have been known to be sewing costumes for the school musical at the same time as my IB chemistry kids are doing a practical. I loved the fact that after a couple of years at the school the students didn't even bat an eye at the fact that I was doing it, #dramascientist!

Oh my goodness - if my head of department caught me doing this I'd be straight into a disciplinary!