hoglett

For the lower school students the main dance genres are Classical and Jazz, DD also did a little tap routine on the performance day.  Four girls took their tap shoes and OPES fitted in a lovely routine for them. 

Upper School students it is mainly Classical, PDD & Contemporary.

The standard is very high but it is a very fun week for them.  Once my DD is there I rarely hear from her!!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the lower school students the main dance genres are Classical and Jazz, DD also did a little tap routine on the performance day. Four girls took their tap shoes and OPES fitted in a lovely routine for them.

Upper School students it is mainly Classical, PDD & Contemporary.

The standard is very high but it is a very fun week for them. Once my DD is there I rarely hear from her!!

Thank you for this, I didn't realise they did jazz and tap too. I'll be sure to pack her tap shoes.

I had an email off her this morning saying they're working on getting the website fixed. The following information is what has been posted on Facebook

Apologies about our website. I think people are trying to access certain areas and cannot get any information. We are dealing with this and forms and information will be hopefully be available from 1st January 2017.

Lots of you have been asking for our dates for 2017 so here they are for the time being.

Week 1- 30th July-4th August

Week 2- 6th August-13th August

Week 3-13th August- 19th August

Thank you all so much for your patience. X

Thank you for the dates.

I'm a bit confused though, sorry. Can anybody remember if every week school starts on Monday and finishes on Friday? Or is Saturday the last day? Or do boarders arrive on Sunday afternoon?

Edited to add that I thought it's a classical ballet SS, no jazz or tap or musical theatre, just ballet, repertoire, Pilates etc. Am I mistaken?

Edited by Happymum

Hi

Arrival day is Sunday, classes are Monday to Friday with performance on the Friday afternoon.

There is a daily ballet class first thing for each of the groups, then there is either jazz for the younger group or contemporary for older 2 groups. There is also pointe, rep and pdd for the 2 older groups. Tap is not the norm but just an add on last year at the last minute!

Fab classes with fab teachers!

Edited by Dancing unicorn

Hi

Arrival day is Sunday, classes are Monday to Friday with performance on the Friday afternoon.

There is a daily ballet class first thing for each of the groups, then there is either jazz for the younger group or contemporary for older 2 groups. There is also pointe, rep and pdd for the 2 older groups. Tap is not the norm but just an add on last year at the last minute!

Fab classes with fab teachers!

Do you have any idea what a typical day would be like for the younger ones? My daughter will be going for the first time and is 9.

I've found an old information letter from when my daughter attended and they had warm up and 11/2hr ballet, then a break followed by what was classed as repertoire for 11/2 hrs until lunch. 11/4 hours repertoire after lunch, break and then 11/4 hr contemporary class. There were also evening activities including a pas-de deux workshop, bbq and barn dance last year.

My daughter has been the last 2 years and had a great time, although she hasn't boarded as we live locally.

As the website is still not working I have contacted Olivia through Facebook again to book a place for my DD. She will be in the middle Advance 1 group. Olivia says this group do lots of ballet, repertoire, pointe and a contemporary class a day.

I've found an old information letter from when my daughter attended and they had warm up and 11/2hr ballet, then a break followed by what was classed as repertoire for 11/2 hrs until lunch. 11/4 hours repertoire after lunch, break and then 11/4 hr contemporary class. There were also evening activities including a pas-de deux workshop, bbq and barn dance last year.

My daughter has been the last 2 years and had a great time, although she hasn't boarded as we live locally.

That sounds brilliant, thank you. I've told my daughter in order to give her a rough idea and she's really looking forward to it.

How big are the classes in OPES? Is it just the 4 teachers for the whole week for all 3 groups?

To DC get lots of personal corrections?

Also - what time on Sunday DC need to be there? I understand lesson start on Monday morning.

They also have young professional dancers who are currently working in companies and are on summer break assisting in class.  DD always receives plenty of corrections and the harder you work the more the children get out of it. 

This will be my DD's first ever ballet residential(done PGL with school etc...)  Will she be okay?  :unsure:

There always has to be a first time :) . I send my dd armed with something tasty and shareable as offering round biscuits can be a great ice breaker.

This will be my DD's first ever ballet residential(done PGL with school etc...) Will she be okay? :unsure:

I'm sure she'll be fine. My dd is going for the first time this year too. How old is your dd and what week are you thinking of? Mine is 9 and I've applied for the first week. (posted the form this morning)

I'm sure she'll be fine. My dd is going for the first time this year too. How old is your dd and what week are you thinking of? Mine is 9 and I've applied for the first week. (posted the form this morning)

13 and the first week...posting off tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I've send my DD's OPES application form and cheque a week ago. Will I receive any information that they have received it and her place is secured? Will there be any communication regarding the times of arrival and departure, what to bring, timetable etc ?

I've send my DD's OPES application form and cheque a week ago. Will I receive any information that they have received it and her place is secured? Will there be any communication regarding the times of arrival and departure, what to bring, timetable etc ?

I received an email to say they had received her form and that she had a place. They said they'd send more details nearer the time.

Dear All

If anyone is still looking for a Summer School. We are running 2 weeks of incredible, exclusive, live-in International Summer Schools - Principals Weeks at our Exclusive Dance Retreat in Kent, England.

We only take 12 guests and have some of the best teachers and dancers on the planet coming to teach for us. Plus we hit the West End for a show in a Limo, and go on location for Professional Photo Shoot. We are not the cheapest summer school, but think we offer value for money based upon the time our guests get with our guests teachers.

All teaching for a full day Edward Watson MBE, Hope Keelan, Anitia Young, David Yow and Ricardo Cervera. You should know who they all are !!

Please email me if you want more info nicola@woodsidedanceretreat.com and find us on FB and Instagram.

Kind regards

Nicola Moriarty xx

• Like 1

Dear All

If anyone is still looking for a Summer School. We are running 2 weeks of incredible, exclusive, live-in International Summer Schools - Principals Weeks at our Exclusive Dance Retreat in Kent, England.

We only take 12 guests and have some of the best teachers and dancers on the planet coming to teach for us. Plus we hit the West End for a show in a Limo, and go on location for Professional Photo Shoot. We are not the cheapest summer school, but think we offer value for money based upon the time our guests get with our guests teachers.

All teaching for a full day Edward Watson MBE, Hope Keelan, Anitia Young, David Yow and Ricardo Cervera. You should know who they all are !!

Please email me if you want more info nicola@woodsidedanceretreat.com and find us on FB and Instagram.

Kind regards

Nicola Moriarty xx

Hi Nicola

Is it just classical ballet that you teach in your summer school or other styles also?

Many thanks

I would say never assume that parents know who people are.  I, for example have heard of Edward Watson, but I would have to google the other four to find out who they are. My daughter may or may not have heard of them, I would have to ask her.

• Like 2

Thanks arabesque1 for you question. It is classical ballet mainly during the day, and then evening activities we offer a diverse range of other classes from contemporary, commercial and we even did a hip hop class last year which was great great fun. We feel it is important to embrace all styles of dance. Doing this will make you a better classical dancer.

Dear, theother51, it was not intended to be said in a condescending way. We are just honoured, humbled and grateful to have them on-board. For your information, Hope Keelan and Anita Young both work at RBS, and as Bluebird22 rightly mentioned Anitia is so inspiring and Hope is also as lovely. Edward we know as possibly one of the greatest male dancers of our time, if not all time! (personal opinion only) Ex principal dancer David Yow of Elmhurst is as wise as they come and a perfect gentleman with so much knowledge to share. Ricardo is the Ballet Master of The Royal Ballet.

Thank you for all your questions and reply's. Have a lovely day.