Ballet school ranking?

Aurora

IMO, if a DC feels that s/he needs to attend additional classes outside the school it is evidence that there are deficiencies in the school's own training and I, as a parent, would be concerned, and annoyed, given the high cost of the training. This raises the question of whether going to any vocational school is in fact preferable to staying at home if the DC has access to good local training and is accessing associate schemes, EYB etc. If the DC is actually going to do less ballet at the school than s/he could be, or was, doing then would it not be better to stay at home and apply for 6th form? I would worry that attending a vocational school where the ballet training was limited and, arguably, less than excellent could actually damage a DC's chances when auditioning for other 6th forms because other schools would expect the DC to be better than s/he was because s/he was already at a vocational school.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the member who said that most people have only ever heard of RB. Whenever it comes up that DD is training for a ballet career, it's always " oh, is she at the royal ballet" and then when I say no she's at a small school called YDA their eyes glaze over. A lot of students from YDA have won places at RB and it's as if they're obliged to go because you can't NOT go if you're offered a place! Unthinkable! But I believe that some of these children would actually rather stay put as its smaller, friendlier and you don't live in fear of being booted out just because you've grown boobs or grown a few inches!

• Like 1

I would also like to say that I know of students from all of the four schools who go to the two different teachers my dd used for private lessons. I would agree that if you can find good local training and your child can manage the school work and fit in in the dance then they are certainly not disadvantaged by not going to a vocational school. I have found that many of the locally trained students have done execptionally well when auditioning for upper schools.

• Like 2

One way to find out the ranking of these schools is to check how many students are in year 11, where they go to next and then how many graduates get a job in their chosen field? I am sure it would change year to year, but perhaps a percentage could be worked out. Which schools are we talking about by the way as other schemes are now being brought into the equation?

I'm sorry, but I shall repeat my concern that this is not a healthy discussion. If you consider that there are probably 20-25 children at each of the 4 MDS schools (apologies if this is a slightly inaccurate figure), then over the 5 years just to 16, ignoring post 16 traning and allowing for siblings, this makes well over 300 sets of parents.

There are FAR fewer than that taking part in this discussion, and therefore it is by its very nature skewed. so bear this in mind. That's not to say that the experiences outlined above were not difficult, worrying, painful even. But there are another 250 sets of parents who aren't taking part in this discussion.

if you are considering applying to vocational school - do so, enjoy it and wherever you end up, there will be ups and downs. But getting there is an incredible feat.

If you go elsewhere, that's also brilliant, and above all enoy it all. My son loves dancing every day. Whichever school he would have gone to, we and he would have been so delighted with. When there are issues - and coming from an education background, these can happen in ANY school - we have to face them - as we have to do with our other children who go to non-vocational schools.

So, ranking the vocational schools? It's not for me.

• Like 10

I think a debate is a good thing, after all we do live in a democracy. However, naming teachers or schools that you are not happy with is a personal opinion and we all have them!! I had 5 of my children at 5 different academic schools for 4 years! Why! This was because each child was an individual, with their own personality and their own gifts and challenges! Each school was the right school for that particular child, but not the right school for all!!

My ds is going to vocational school in September, we feel it is the right school for him now. Things may change in the future, he will change too!

Be prepared for change and be open-minded, your child is an individual, make decisions based purely around your child!!

All teachers have favourites, its the way of the world and there will always be a pecking order! However, good teachers should always be interested in every pupil.

• Like 7

I think it really depends on the dancer.

Royal is probably the most competitive and desired school in the UK however all the other schools are purely, I think, taken on someone’s own opinion.

I have had my audition year for upper schools throughout 2011-2012 and it’s not to be taken lightly. Each individual school looks for a different dancer and you have to fit that mould, and sometimes you may not fit it but, what can you do?

I didn’t get into Elmhurst, but I got finals for all the other schools I auditioned for such as, Royal, ENB, Central and tring and in the end I got into Central and Tring- on a DADA.

if your daughter/son is non-vocational it will be hard (I am too!) as they go up against all the people who have been training for maybe five years or more vocationally. BUT! Don’t let the fact that they are non-vocational lead them to believe they are not good enough. I was ecstatic when I got finals for 4 of the 5 schools I auditioned for and the fact that I was a non-vocational student and was being noticed in amongst my peers who were vocational was a real confidence boost.

Sorry went a bit off subject. But I hope it helps :)

To all those auditioning this coming season (2012-2013) I really hope you achieve what you want :)

GOOD LUCK!

ballerinaX

• Like 10

I believe the thing to remember when embarking on a vocational route is to remember that you are in still the parent, you may pass them over into the hands of a school but if you arent happy with what you hear, feel or see then question it.

Do not be afraid to ask 'why' or to ask for details of anything, you are the fee payer - do no more or less than you would if your child was at a regular secondary school.

My experience as a parent found me often excluded, yes the houseparents/staff are hands on and sometimes better placed to make an immediate decision but they are still your children and you are not just a taxi service and financier,

It can be an amazing experience but dont put these schools on pedestals and believe they know everything. They are run by very talented and knowledgeable people but then so are banks and business and they have been shown to have flaws too.

Last point - dont be afraid to say its not perhaps the best place for my child (taking everything into consideration), they may like the experience and be having 'fun' but you are paying a lot of money for 'fun'.

I guess I have never followed fashion or been brand conscious but I do feel that 'sometimes' these school have a brand name which is more valuable than its contents.

• Like 8

Going back to the original question, I just assumed it was a question of perceptions of schools rather than a decisive and serious list.

Personally I have little knowledge of the vocational schools and will take the time to research them myself and naturally my DD will form her own opinion of what suits her for the aspirations she has.

We would consider ourselves very lucky if she gets offered a place to study post 16 vocationally wherever that may be.

• Like 1

BankruptMum, Very well said.

Those with positive experiences may well criticise you and those with negative experiences may well say you haven't gone far enough.

• Having been there and nearly at the end I will add, go into vocational schools with your eyes open.
  • Know your rights and what the people funding the experience expect as an absolute minimum. Insist the schools meet those minimum requirements.
  • Do not feel obliged to keep quiet because you are grateful your child is in an elite vocational school because they are exceptionally talented.
  • Talent and the ability to pay fees should never ever be confused.
  • Be involved intimately in your child's progress within the school, even if they ask you not to be.
  • Tell them to fund their own schooling if they don't want you to be involved.
  • You are making HUGE personal sacrifices for their future and you are not putting conditions on them for it other than you want them to enjoy dancing.
  • You love them absolutely unconditionally - you will be surprised just how many dancers need this on a daily basis from people they think really care.

• Like 2

Once again, wise words Dancersdad.

I would also urge students to also speak out (politely!) if they have any concerns at all. I have found that throughout my DS education that the schools that he has been at have appreciated his ability to say what he thinks. if I have then had cause to write "one of my e-mails" (not very often) my concerns have then not come out of the blue and have usually been dealt with effectively.

I would also urge students to keep in touch with their parents! :) Its great to try and sort out things independently but do keep your parents fully informed of whats going on (good stuff as well as bad!) even if you don't want them involved. .There have been quitre a few situations which could have been avoided if my DS had picked up his phone...

The comment about loving unconditionally, well I couldn't agree more. DH and I also always made it quite clear also that it really didn't matter if, after all his training ,DS didn't want to dance professionally. What mattered more is that he has grown into a fine young man who is not afraid to speak out when necessary. i personally would not have dared to say some of the things he has though! But because he is generally quiet and reserved he has had perhaps more impact when he has spoken his mind.

Finally,remember that at all schools there will be ups and downs, But if you are generally happy at a school then that is the right place for you, regardless of so called rankings.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 5

I agree, I think if a child of 11 is going to live away from home the most important thing is their happiness.

I'm not thinking about rankings at this point. There is such a long way to go before he finally decides that he wants to be a dancer, so much can happen along the way.

I have heard negative things about ALL the schools.

Infact i would imagine negative things have been said about every school in the country....regardless of whether they are academic or dance....by parents.

• Like 5

Ranking all 4 MADE schools in terms of classical ballet training caliber is in my opinion all a bit daft! 'One mans meat is anothers mans poison' ! We are all different, with different children, with different potential, interests and emmotional need and i just dont think you should or can make a choice of this magnitude based on the subjective ranking opinions of others?

In saying that, Elmhurst & RBS offer a mostly classical ballet training regime and seek out children that have the right physicality to suit a career in that genre, consequently its obvious that if you and your child are very sure of your preference for a clasical ballet training at year 6/7 and are committed to a boarding option to access vocational training, then go for one of those two, as proportionally more dance students from these schools will end up working in a ballet company than from either Hammond or Tring.

However not all children are sure at year 6/7 about making such a narrow choice and therefore a school that offers classical ballet everyday but also offers a variety of other dance genres including Tap, Modern, Jazz, Comtemporary and Musical Theatre such as Hammond or Tring may be a more sensible option for some. Both of these schools offer daily ballet training and should a student have an obvious classical capability, my experience is that they will be well supported in their formative training with ballet training but typically go on to making a different choice of school at 6th form to consolidate their classical training needs. The obvious benefit of Hammond and Tring is that for an all rounder there is no need to make a definitive choice at year 6/7 but as a consequence more children will end up proportionately working in Musical Theatre shows, holiday entertainment venues and on cruise ships than in ballet companies.

Additionally take a close look at the geography of the schools in relation to your home, think about your travel needs, the fees, the funding criteria and work out where you are likely to be in terms of personal contribution & travel expenses - if thats all stacking up more in one direction than another then apply to the school or schools that most suit your personal, domestic and financial and practical needs.

My advice is take the path that most suits your child after talking to your local dance teacher about your childs physicality (anatomy, proportions, flexibility, turn out, feet ) as well as her/his potential and make a sensible selection based on that plus all the other research on fees and travel etc. If you, your child and your local dance teacher are just not sure but everyone is agreed that a vocational trining option is a wise consideretion ,then go for all four at audition, as your audition experience and and the feedback and offers (or not) you get along the way will certainly naturally select the right option for your child if you are fortunate to gain an offer, award or bursery.

Good luck to those parents doing their best to do some research in advance of auditions. There is IMO nothing like some personal experience to help you with this important decision, so join the schools Associate Programs if thats a practical option, go to the open days, summer schools, taster days & ask for 1:1 visits and go from there, rather than counting something in or out just because of someone else's negative or positive opinion or subjective view on ranking shared on this forum!

• Like 7

Just to remind you that my question is nothing to do with me considering sending my own child somewhere, she's only 8 afterall. My question was what do people consider overall to be the order of the schools with regard to the classical training they provide. I did acknowledge that there are many other deciding factors but it was just a general consensus. I thought Elmhurst, my friend thought Tring. My question has certainly been answered.

By all means continue to discuss it as I'm reading all the posts with interest but please don't anyone think that I'm deciding where to send my child based on this poll ;)

• Like 2

Just to say that it is fantastic to see YDA mentioned in the top four, as they deserve to be. Surely the upper schools that the students graduate to are the true reflection of the training. Of the students graduating from YDA this year, one is going to RBS, one to ENB, one to Elmhurst, one to Central and one to Millenium. Another student has also been offered Elmhurst and Rambert. Alongside this, students are once again being recruited into White Lodge from YDA, as was also the case last year. These are fantastic results from a school that has under 30 pupils! My daughter was offered Elmhurst and Tring for year 7 and I can honestly say that going to YDA was absolutely the right decision. My DD is truly happy there, lives at home and is an SA at RBS and got to the White Lodge final last year even though she only auditioned for Associates.

P.S. a comment which relates to another thread - YDA also had an 'outstanding' OFSTED.

• Like 1