Post 16 training for September 2017 (best time to audition query)

arabesque1

Please could I have your opinions on whether it's best to audition early or late for full time post 16 vocational dance courses. I'm unsure of the pros and cons of this, with the choice to audition from December through to March for most courses. Any advice would be welcome please.

• Like 1

This year we did all of the early auditions to ensure that first/final auditions didn't take up too much school time in March when GCSEs are getting close. At some schools finals take place over 2 days and most auditions and finals are during the school week. If you also have to plan in travel then it can mean quite a few missed school days, depending on how many auditions you do of course.

• Like 1

So glad you raised this question arabesque1 as we're in the same position and trying to figure out when DD should be advising school of this requirement for time off.  As we will have to travel to all bar two of her options this could be very tricky to arrange.  I'll be watching this thread closely for all advice.

• Like 1

We spread my dd's ones out, with several before Christmas, and the others after (more by luck than judgement ;) ). You need to apply as soon as the applications are available though, otherwise audition spaces can fill up. Some schools allow you to choose your preferred audition date, others don't.

• Like 2

So glad you raised this question arabesque1 as we're in the same position and trying to figure out when DD should be advising school of this requirement for time off. As we will have to travel to all bar two of her options this could be very tricky to arrange. I'll be watching this thread closely for all advice.

Dd is auditioning in 2017 and her vocational school has advised early auditions. She is older in her year group (Nov) and fit and healthy (please let this remain the case! ) so the advice was to get them done and dusted ASAP as several of her choices will also have finals to go back to if she is successful. I think the only reason I would not think this the best advice for anyone would be if recovering from an injury or if you felt that the dancer was on an upward progression slope that would suggest significant gains would be made in 4 or 5 months, thus giving a better chance of later success. I keep looking for 2017 audition entry info on web sites and hope someone will start a post as soon as they see something!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Speaking from personal experience with my eldest DD who has just graduated but from MT college. Spread out the dates if possible. My DD ended up having 3 auditions in 10 days all requiring slightly different solos etc ! Just as the snow arrived!  Not a good start.  Manchester, Liverpool and London. We don't even live in the UK so for costs we thought an extended trip was a good idea with flights etc .  No No No,  physically and mentally exhausting.  On the bright side the letters arrived home the day after we did. No waiting for the postman.   ;)