General questions about summer schools.

ponklemum

Hi again, my dd will be 9 next year therefore able to go residential on a course.  I know that at this age they are limited to where they can go but I still have a few questions about the places she can go.

She does ballet tap and modern and at the moment her passion is ballet - in the future she would like to dance with a professional ballet company.  At this age do you think she should still try both ballet only courses and mixed dance courses? Would she get a real feel of where her passion lies or is she still too young to decide even after doing course?  Or at this age would she gain regardless of whether is all ballet or mixed dance?

Second question.  Out of the courses, there are photo requirement ones and non- photo requirement ones.  Are there any differences between these courses?  (I've been looking at YBSS and OPES to choose between for next summer). 

Thank you xx

I would be surprised if any of the summer schools offered only ballet classes, especially for younger dancers. Modern/contemporary/jazz classes seem to be frequently offered, plus maybe musical theatre, character or tap.

I'm not sure whether a summer school requiring or not requiring photos of prospective students is necessarily a reason to choose one over another, just their way of deciding to whom they will offer a place (eg RBS) or as an aide memoire perhaps for others. I would think that the more classical ballet-orientated (and oversubscribed) summer schools which are attached to vocational schools would be more likely to require photos as they may also be considering their summer school students as possible full-time students and therefore are looking for the more classical physiques. Equally an oversubscribed summer school may find that photos assist in making decisions between applicants.

• Like 1

Another point to think about, is how the summer school groups the children relative to their age and level, and what is going to be most important for your child. Especially with younger students there may be a wide variance in the grade that they are working at simply because the late starters are still playing catch up. When my dd did her first summer school at 9 years she was put with other grade 4s, which would have been fine except that the other girls in the class were all 12 years + and would not speak to her. All week. With hindsight I should have discussed up front with the school but did not occur to me. It stopped being a problem once she turned 11 and we had wider choice of schools to go at.

I would start with an all round non selective summer school at that age - having fun is most important. I agree that grouping by age is important socially. Also think about whether you want residential or not. The 2 we have experience of which would fit the above are Hammond and The West Yorkshire summer school that Tutu girl runs.

Most of the summer schools that don’t require photos fill their places on a first come first served basis - e.g. Hammond, Central, Rambert. Those that require photos often use them as part of a selection process - e.g. Royal and YBSS, both of which are very difficult to get onto. They select on the basis of the photos and information provided on the application form and the standard is very high. 

• Like 1

Not sure whether to post on here or on 'Feedback back about Summer Schools'. Others that have a selection process include Elmhurst (from 10 years) and English National ballet (from 11 years). Have had great experiences with both. ENB is very popular with overseas students no doubt in part because of its location in Chelsea.

My dd did the Royal summer school at White lodge this year and it was the best week of her life apparently! She is yr 5 and they were grouped with yr 6 children also. There were 10/11 nationalities in her class (27 children in the yr 5/6 girls class - 25 of those were boarders). They did classical ballet class every morning I think, Repertoire, Irish, character, creative dance, pointe (Demi for those not yet en pointe), and another I can't remember the name of. The teachers were great at giving corrections and all the girls were incredibly friendly and supportive to one another.

My dd said the best part was the dancing everyday, the boarding, the food, and the evening activities (bbq, movie night, quiz, disco) and the bonds she formed in such a small space of time with girls she'd never met. The boarding facilities were great and they were well looked after by the house mistress who kept them to schedule and ensured they showered etc. We know my dd was very fortunate to get a place and her home dance teacher said this week she's noticed an improvement in her already! All in all a great experience and fabulous memories made.

• Like 2