Eek! Buses to RAD HQ

annaliesey

I've found the bus routes themselves to be fine - except when there was an unexpected road closure in Battersea that resulted in dd and I being abandoned in an unknown residential area of Battersea.....half an hour before her Advanced 1 exam.

Make sure the mapping system on your phone works - just in case!!

• Like 2

You do know that you can't pay with cash on London buses any more do you annaliesey? A friend of mine got caught out by that a few months ago. You need an oyster card or a one day travelcard, which you can buy from tube stations, railway stations and ( i think) some shops like newsagents.

Just leave plenty of time in case of delays and i am sure you will be ok.

• Like 2

Haha it seems I am destined to not travel by bus despite getting all prepared for it :) ... (Bit like my attitude to parallel parking but that's another thread)

So I've just had phone call from teacher to say the other girls are wearing ribbons on their flats so my DD might like to too

... Now journey re-routed via Dancia Covent Garden for flipping new shoes (can't have new ribbons on old shoes etc) and new ribbons to me to sew on on the tube on the way. (Wonder what odd looks I'm gonna get as 'bad-ballet-mum-should-know-better')

Haha!! Bring on the costas!

So I'm now kings cross to Covent Garden, to South Kensington, to West Brompton to Clapham Junction

:)

Edited by annaliesey
  • Like 2

Presumably you already know the bus numbers to get etc

The 170 does stop practically outside the RAD and is easier both ways from Clapham Junction as its nearer Clapham so less traffic on the final bit but of course does go from Victoria.

The 19 bus goes almost all the way but a 5-10 min walk to the RAD from where it terminates.

It depends exactly where you are entering London from but definitely if on Southern or South Western trains I would get off at Clapham Junction.

You then walk out of the station all the way down towards Platform 2 where the London overland trains go from and the bus 170 stops right outside that exit to the station.

The studios at RAD are all terrific.

I've missed the purpose .....is it an exam? Very good luck with it if so!!

It's great these days just being able to use contact less bank cards on the tube and buses .....the other day I realised had forgotten Oyster card and just used bank card in a way easier as you're not forever checking how much is left on the Oyster especially when you don't live in London and use all,the time.

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone

Yes it's interfoundation exam :)

She definitely wants to not be the odd one out today and has pleaded with me to get her split sole satin, even as early birthday pressie, just to look nice for today. She usually dances in a school hall so I anticipate the average life of new satin shoes before big toe makes an appearance to be approximately 4 classes if I'm lucky :)

Ok might get tube to Victoria although I'm happier with tube changes. It's a bit physiological really as I think when you are underground you don't question where you are going and just follow the stops.

But overground there's the temptation to look about and start questioning haha

• Like 1

Split soles can be worn for all levels of RAD exams and examiners can't penalise candidates wearing them. This includes split sole pointe and soft blocks. There was previously a thread on this and although it seemed from RAD literature that they don't encourage split soles, shall we say, they are accepted in their exams.

• Like 2

Split soles can be worn for all levels of RAD exams and examiners can't penalise candidates wearing them. This includes split sole pointe and soft blocks. There was previously a thread on this and although it seemed from RAD literature that they don't encourage split soles, shall we say, they are accepted in their exams.

that's interesting, as my DD was encouraged to get split soles by her ballet teacher, and the lady in the shop kept telling us that if it was for an exam, she wouldn't be allowed to wear them. we got them anyway, as next ballet exams are a few months away, and no doubt DDs feet will have grown by then and anyway, the shoes will look trashed!

• Like 1

Thank you all ???? When you're feeling like you're gonna have a stressy time there's always balletco friends :)

Unfortunately she had a complete brain fart moment and did an exercise completely on the other side. It was the pirouettes one and after taking one step she realised immediately but carried on with a smile regardless (oops)

Apart from that she seemed quite happy :)

• Like 4

I don't think that doing the pirouette exercise with the other foot would matter, because all the pirouettes are shown on both sides in the exercise, so the examiner would still see what she needs to.  I am surprised that she nearly went in without ribbons on her shoes - her teacher should have told you that some time ago!  Split or full soles are optional, but ribbons are compulsary, so good thing you made the effort.  Good luck to her!

By the way, I tend to go to South Kensington station and take a bus from there to Battersea Bridge Road and walk five minutes from there.  If you're running late the taxi ride is not very expensive from South Ken., which is an advantage!

• Like 1

Ribbons are not compulsory on flats. Dd didn't wear them for her vocational grade exams (though of course she had them on her pointes & soft blocks)

Worth bearing in mind that Inter Foundation is the only RAD Vocational exam where you can wear flat shoes anyway. From Inter upwards soft blocks are compulsory.

• Like 1

Yeah the whole ribbon thing was a bit confusing. Apparently dd's teacher said she thought she may need them but would check and come back to us. This conversation was with directly between DD and teacher and both promptly forgot!

3 other girls in the exam session made sure they had ribbons then right at the last min teacher phoned to say DD prob would want them so she wouldn't look like odd one out in the session but she wouldn't be penalised if she didn't have them.

But her canvass flats did look a bit scruffy as in not very new and clean looking. I just thought ribbons with them would look very odd. I've never seen anyone wear ribbons with canvass shoes

I guess it's worth knowing the right answer for anyone else caught out by this

Teacher doesn't think she will get marked down for wrong side as says they are looking at pirouettes .. Is she just being kind and optimistic?

• Like 1

soft pointe shoes– pink with ribbons (soft ballet shoes may be worn for the Intermediate Foundation exam only – pink with ribbons)

I copy pasted this from the RAD website.  In a section above this on the required uniform, it notes that waistband and hairband are optional, but says nothing about the shoe ribbons being optional, so I think you can be fairly sure that ribbons are compulsory.  That doesn't mean that a candidate entering without ribbons on her shoes would be marked down for it or refused entry, but it is not optional - it is required.

• Like 1